Miami transfer WR Dazalin Worsham committed to the Tigers!!

Sizzle

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It’s still not as bad as the current room. We had Duke in 2015 at least going into the season. Ricardo actually had a great year, and we had reliable, experienced guys like Marcus Davis and Melvin Ray to contribute. Any of those guys would be our current WR1.

2016 was indeed a flop. But the room was chock full of talent. Two five stars in Nate Craig Myers and Kyle Davis. Slayton, Ryan Davis, and Stove contributed. Marcus Davis and Stevens were the vets. 

On paper, the 2021 room is extremely bad. It was an issue even before we lost Kobe.

Two 5* who were trash and then young talent...

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

They definitely weren’t trash. Davis was a discipline case and NCM’s career was botched, but he had some big moments. 

But regardless, young or old, talent is still talent. We don’t have much on campus currently at WR. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

When this happened I was so excited for his future. Another waste. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

When this happened I was so excited for his future. Another waste. 

Lmao 1 highlight doesn't prove your point.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

They definitely weren’t trash. Davis was a discipline case and NCM’s career was botched, but he had some big moments. 

But regardless, young or old, talent is still talent. We don’t have much on campus currently at WR. 

I'm banking on a new QB, tweaked scheme and some talented Freshman receivers. I don't think it will be as bad as u think. King has potential to be good. A more accurate QB will make a difference  too. WR is a position where True Freshmen can make a difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

WR is a position where True Freshmen can make a difference.

In a Pro Style offense? You literally saw Tar'Varish Dawson ride the bench for all of last season.

Bryan Harsin's offense is not "simple", but furthermore, he does not play guys that don't have the playbook down. He has been extremely vocal about that. You severely underestimate how high his expectations are, which means that expecting true freshman to come in and save us is extremely foolish. There is a much higher chance that none of those guys even see the field other than on special teams, than there is that they play a big role in the offense.

There is a reason why Shedrick Jackson was/is the "#1 receiver", despite the fact that guys like Elijah Cannion were more talented options. Cannion and Capers could barely get on the field last season; whereas Shedrick Jackson went from being a guy that was essentially a blocking WR his entire time here under Malzahn to #1 receiver. It is obvious that on one end, he was rewarded for "knowing what to do", whereas the others were kept off the field for the opposite reasons.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, metafour said:

In a Pro Style offense? You literally saw Tar'Varish Dawson ride the bench for all of last season.

Bryan Harsin's offense is not "simple", but furthermore, he does not play guys that don't have the playbook down. He has been extremely vocal about that. You severely underestimate how high his expectations are, which means that expecting true freshman to come in and save us is extremely foolish. There is a much higher chance that none of those guys even see the field other than on special teams, than there is that they play a big role in the offense.

There is a reason why Shedrick Jackson was/is the "#1 receiver", despite the fact that guys like Elijah Cannion were more talented options. Cannion and Capers could barely get on the field last season; whereas Shedrick Jackson went from being a guy that was essentially a blocking WR his entire time here under Malzahn to #1 receiver. It is obvious that on one end, he was rewarded for "knowing what to do", whereas the others were kept off the field for the opposite reasons.

My point being... wide receiver and running back are the 2 positions where True Freshman are more likely to make an impact. I stand behind that. The OP was making a point that this was the weakest WR room since 2008. I never said I expected Brown or Kelly to start and have over 1000 yds rec or to save us.They can help bolster the WR room. Just cause Dawson didn't play as  freshman doesn't mean another WR cant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

From all I have read I agree with you but we have some young guys who should now know the playbook.  Cannion, both Johnson's and Dawson plus Shedrick plus Fair was here for Spring giving him a chance.  You add a good bit of talent at TE and RB's catching passes and I think we will be better then last year in our passing attack. Add King  as a Big WRs also in second year and with an accurate QB we could be better in our passing game this year.  Before you say it we don't have a proven accurate QB so unless one steps forward and wins the job and proves to be an accurate thrower it doesn't really matter who we have at WR, TE. or RB in the passing attack.

16 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm banking on a new QB, tweaked scheme and some talented Freshman receivers. I don't think it will be as bad as u think. King has potential to be good. A more accurate QB will make a difference  too. WR is a position where True Freshmen can make a difference.

Disagree about the true freshmen but your other points are true. True freshmen receivers typically don’t make big splashes unless they are otherworldly.

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lmao 1 highlight doesn't prove your point.

I mean it kind of does though. That play wasn’t a fluke. Kid was a freak.

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My point being... wide receiver and running back are the 2 positions where True Freshman are more likely to make an impact. I stand behind that. The OP was making a point that this was the weakest WR room since 2008. I never said I expected Brown or Kelly to start and have over 1000 yds rec or to save us.They can help bolster the WR room. Just cause Dawson didn't play as  freshman doesn't mean another WR cant

Would you at least agree last year was the weakest we’ve been at WR since 2008? Then it’s just a matter of whether or not you think we got better this off-season. Sure, anything could happen. We aren’t fortune tellers. But on paper it’s a really bad room.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Would you at least agree last year was the weakest we’ve been at WR since 2008? Then it’s just a matter of whether or not you think we got better this off-season. Sure, anything could happen. We aren’t fortune tellers. But on paper it’s a really bad room.

Who were the WR in 2008?

One thing about last years WR room is we had a lot of young WR's who had played in the Gus system with a very simplistic route tree as such they were not ready for the more complex passing tree that the Harsin system brought in. They have now had a year in it plus Spring practice.  A few of them looked pretty good in A-Day game which means they may have learned their routes. While most of our WR's are not very big they are all fast twitch type athletes who if they run clean routes have the potential to get open. 

This year we find out if the issue was they just didn't know the system well enough to be effective of if they just are not that good. I actually expect better play from the WR's that returned just due to knowledge of the system this is assuming whoever wins QB job can hit them when they are open.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, metafour said:

Jay Fair opined to this, how hard is is for true freshman to come in the fall and learn Harsin's huge offense.  He said he learned it because he came early in the spring so IMO, the only true frosh that can make an impact game 1 is Jay Fair any others that enrolled early

On 5/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, Didba said:

Jay Fair opined to this, how hard is is for true freshman to come in the fall and learn Harsin's huge offense.  He said he learned it because he came early in the spring so IMO, the only true frosh that can make an impact game 1 is Jay Fair any others that enrolled early

I agree but the ones like the Dawson and the two Johnson's have each had a year in the system so if one or two could break out we might be ok on the WR front.  That is a big If but today I have on my Orange and Blue glasses maybe I will change my mind tomorrow.

• Love 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, metafour said:

This is what mostly concerns me about Harsin when it comes to our offense. I understand it on one hand but on another when Jackson is considered our WR1 it gives me great concern. If a kid is working hard on and off the field, i want the best player to play. Let those guys get live reps and progress each week or at the least show that they can or can not handle it. 

The luxury that Harsin had a Bosie St. is that skill players at WR, RB and QB stayed around longer so I'm sure they knew the system in and out. Time isn't a luxury he currently has. With the make up of the SEC from week to week, we need the best players on the field.