Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

Starting to get legitimately excited about Camden Brown. 

He scored a touchdown tonight too.

Everybody is excited about him I think.

• Like 1

From On3: Multiple observers ranked the quarterbacks Finley, Ashford and Calzada on the night, in that order…

Finley delivered clutch passes at clutch times…

This is what you want to hear. Even last year when he had the time he made the throws. More he played though the pocket just wasn’t there and he just doesn’t have that mobility to gain yards from a busted play

• Like 1

Quick Quotes: Harsin recaps Auburn's first fall scrimmage

97 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Watch Auburn's quarterbacks and receivers work in red zone

AUBURN, Alabama — Scrimmage 1 of auburn's fall camp has wrapped up, as the Tigers now turn to their third week of preseason practices.

Quarterback will obviously be a popular topic for head coach Bryan Harsin, who is set to meet with reporters at approximately 8:15 p.m. CST.

Follow along here for live updates.

• Situational scrimmage, there was live tackling: "We needed that."

• "Chance to play a lot of guys, so your typical first scrimmage."

Sponsored Content

Roofing Services | Sea...

• Mostly situational work.

• Freshmen Damari Alston and Camden Brown were both offensive standouts. Brown had a touchdown reception; Alston had two rushing touchdowns.

Sponsored Content

Roofing Services | Sea...

• John Samuel Shenker had a touchdown reception.

• Zach Calzada had a touchdown pass.

• Anders Carlson was 4-for-4 in the scrimmage.

• Craig McDonald at safety had a 90-plus-yard scoop and score for a touchdown on the final play of the scrimmage.

• Finley operated the offense well on a 14-play drive to kick things off, Harsin said.

• The team will go over film tomorrow before an off day Monday.

• Jayson Jones "looked good" in the first scrimmage at nose tackle.

• Harsin compliments JUCO DB transfer Keionte Scott's quick production after arriving on campus just a couple weeks ago.

• Owen Pappoe "ran around and looked like Owen out there" after his spring recovery from a lower-body injury.

• Harsin continues to laud Alston's production in the scrimmage, showed "good burst on the edge."

• Harsin says "there wasn't a lot of negative plays" by the offensive line.

• "There's some" separation at quarterback.

• The offense only had one delay of game.

• Harsin again hints that Brown, a true freshman, has been impressive at receiver and is coming along quickly. First name he mentions when asked about the receiver room.

• Fifth-year senior wideout Shedrick Jackson "had a great catch" during the scrimmage.

• Cam Riley is "starting to come into his own" at linebacker.

• Harsin says freshman linebacker Robert Woodyard had a big tackle for loss.

7COMMENTS

• Harsin says redshirt sophomore offensive guard Tate Johnson has had a strong camp and got some first-team reps in the scrimmage.

• Zero injuries at the moment for Auburn in fall camp. A few dings here and there, Harsin says, but everyone's playing.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sounds like Robby did well but that he was also the one that fumbled in the red zone which Craig McDonald took back for 95. Camden going nuts again. He legit may take Shed's job at this rate.

Also it's natural to overreact but don't read too much into QB's yet. Last year if we remember right DD was by far the best QB in the scrimmage and Nix threw multiple pick's and was horrendous. Since this is a legit battle though it may be different this time though. Next Friday's second scrimmage will likely be telling

• Like 2

From what I got, apparently Finley was the QB who looked the best of the competitors ("threw some dimes"), and Ashford led a scoring drive. Calzada is reportedly not taking command and leaving the door open for one of the others to take the reins.

Bigsby and Alston were mentioned as standouts in the running game.

"Defensive line is relentless," but the O-Line "definitely had some moments." 

Pappoe, Steiner, and Riley all looked good, but the big news from that group is Woodyard. "Not a great practice player, but man when the lights came on, he is a baller."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm a sucker for the dual threat QB, so I'm really pulling for Ashford to shine. I just don't trust TJ behind our line. If we could give him a pocket, fine, but there's a reason we have the most experienced line in the conference this season, and I don't know that I'd call it a positive reason. 

Pass pro should be fine. They weren't that bad last year and they are all a year older and more experienced. 

I hope running ability is not the deciding factor in the QB race and I seriously doubt it will be. 

• Like 1

I’m just interested to see how Finley performs when he’s being bullrushed by guys and both parties know he’s fair game. 

• Like 2

Camden going nuts again. He legit may take Shed's job at this rate.

I'm not entirely sure that hasn't already happened. I've been hearing rumblings about Brown since he stepped on campus, which kinda surprised me since he's not the most highly rated of our freshman receiving corps. But he's the only one (of the freshmen receivers) I've heard about this summer, so I imagine he's standing out quite a bit.

• Like 2

Sounds like Gus speak is okee dokee now, entire squad did great but could use more "urgency". Gee, that's swell.

99C24679-52B7-4E79-8963-545354E341BF.gif.4e9bc58f9d0724c38b273f5a234addf4.gif

• Like 2

There were a few plays made by each QB . But overall I’d have to say it’s going to be a long season. 

you had eyes on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

meanwhile Calzada is on 🔥 6/9 420 yards on a bunch of long bongs ehhh bombs

Six completions for 420 yards equals 70 yards per. On fire would be putting it mildly! However, I suspect the bongs or something similar were involved in calculating the above stats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the notes I am reading our offense is either really bad or the defense is elite.

• Like 2

There were a few plays made by each QB . But overall I’d have to say it’s going to be a long season. 

Think that went without saying. All TJ has to do is not stink up the next scrimmage and the starting spot is his. Already got experience with the offense on his side. Stock up on advil regardless.

Edited by WFE12

Pappoe, Steiner, and Riley all looked good, but the big news from that group is Woodyard. "Not a great practice player, but man when the lights came on, he is a baller."

That has been the case for a good number of our players that were recruited the last decade, unfortunately they were never allowed to see the field because of the poor practice performance.

From the notes I am reading our offense is either really bad or the defense is elite.

-Most first scrimmages ever

Nice play...unless you're a defensive guy.  We just let CB run clean to the back of the end zone. The DBs looked bad on that one. Way too much hesitation when their cushion was being eaten up...which CB did quickly. We need to be able to recognize routes and route combos quicker.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Isn't that how the first scrimmage usually goes?

Although I do expect our D to be much better than our O. 

• Like 6

Isn't that how the first scrimmage usually goes?

Although I do expect our D to be much better than our O. 

I thought this as well

giphy.gif

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

From what I got, apparently Finley was the QB who looked the best of the competitors ("threw some dimes"), and Ashford led a scoring drive. Calzada is reportedly not taking command and leaving the door open for one of the others to take the reins.

Bigsby and Alston were mentioned as standouts in the running game.

"Defensive line is relentless," but the O-Line "definitely had some moments." 

I've heard a lot from local friends and From what I've read its mixed. Finley did great early but fell off. Calzada started off mediocre but hit Shenk on a TD with 1 on 1's late. Lesson is, it is early and it's all going to play out. It's still ALOT to figure out. 

• Like 6

"Finley understands what the offense is trying to do"

Knowing what to do opposed to actually being able to do it are miles apart. ASK ANY GOLFER.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sounds like Gus speak is okee dokee now, entire squad did great but could use more "urgency". Gee, that's swell.

Not quite. No “ we were flying around out there”, or “ so and so has that “ it” factor”

• Haha 1