Discussion to leave the NCAA

GunsmithAU

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34414293/college-football-playoff-board-discusses-possibility-potential-restructuring-how-college-football-governed-sources-say,

The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers met via Zoom on Monday and began a discussion that could reshape the future of college sports, sources told ESPN.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Board of Managers briefly discussed the possibility of restructuring how college football is governed, with the idea presented of major college football potentially being governed outside of the NCAA. The most logical place for the sport to be run outside of the NCAA would be under the auspices of the CFP, which was discussed on the call. The CFP currently oversees the sport's postseason playoff and has contractual ties to other marquee postseason bowl games.

Sources cautioned that these discussions are in such early stages that it could be considered the first steps of a complicated process that would resemble a marathon. The sources added that the group spoke about the idea for only about five minutes, as it was raised as something the group should think more about down the line.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

This was always the goal , IMO. Just setting up specifics now.

Many here laughed and said never gonna happen over the last year when I've said it's inevitable.  

57 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Many here laughed and said never gonna happen over the last year when I've said it's inevitable.  

Same people who say they will quit watching football because it is the end of collegiate athletics. This is a big business. Now they can start treating it as such openly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

Same people who say they will quit watching football because it is the end of collegiate athletics. This is a big business. Now they can start treating it as such openly.

It will ultimately never work without some sort of NFL development league apart from college football.

If it’s going to be college football, you have to have the kids go to college. And you can’t have a draft or trades or anything like that intertwined with kids pursuing degrees.

But if you remove the student requirement, it’s then just a pro league with no connection to the schools. Which won’t work either.

They’ll definitely try this stuff out, though. Weird times ahead. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It will ultimately never work without some sort of NFL development league apart from college football.

If it’s going to be college football, you have to have the kids go to college. And you can’t have a draft or trades or anything like that intertwined with kids pursuing degrees.

But if you remove the student requirement, it’s then just a pro league with no connection to the schools. Which won’t work either.

I'd just like a better governing body with actual intelligent people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Didba said:

I'd just like a better governing body with actual intelligent people.

That’s a lot to ask for in America. 

Love the idea of leaving the NCAA, but I want it to stay college football. Weird times, like someone mentioned above. The NCAA is really going to run off their money maker by their own doing. They are the embodiment of a useless, immalleable, bureaucratic organization. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Check out Mike Leaches idea. In all the chaos, it seems to be the best idea I e seen yet

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

College football has not been about the student half of student athlete for a while. The NIL was the most recent nail in that coffin because of the way it has been interpreted in different ways by various schools. The best players have rarely selected a school based on the curriculum and degree of their choice. Now, in addition to winning on the field, they get paid more at the select schools so that is the "draft" part. Then the portal has introduced the "trade" part of the equation. Players absolutely deserved a cut of the profits but for now the NIL has done nothing but tilt the scales more in the favor of the rich schools who had already perfected the act of cheating. 

• Like 4

Guys, it will never break away from being "College" football.  You see how literally on one gives a damn about arena, europe, or whatever stupid spring semi-pro leagues they have popping up.

There will always be a semi-relationship with schools.  Just b/c kids are getting paid doesn't mean they can't be student athletes.  I've never understood the mindset that everyone can make billions of dollars, coaches salaries are cool exploding to 8 figures per year with 40mm buyouts, OCs can make 1-3 million, and on down the line....but you DEMAND the talent of the league remain poor as eff and get absolutely no benefit when they are the ones killing their bodies. 

This isn't 1985 when there was near no money in the sport and some coaches had 2nd jobs in the offseason.  This is a billion dollar industry and needs to be treated as such.

P5 should break off.  Athletes need to form some kind of players union.  NIL needs to be somewhat regulated, and players need to be paid by the university.  If that means Coaches salaries need to be cut by 40% than so be it

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Guys, it will never break away from being "College" football.  You see how literally on one gives a damn about arena, europe, or whatever stupid spring semi-pro leagues they have popping up.

There will always be a semi-relationship with schools.  Just b/c kids are getting paid doesn't mean they can't be student athletes.  I've never understood the mindset that everyone can make billions of dollars, coaches salaries are cool exploding to 8 figures per year with 40mm buyouts, OCs can make 1-3 million, and on down the line....but you DEMAND the talent of the league remain poor as eff and get absolutely no benefit when they are the ones killing their bodies. 

This isn't 1985 when there was near no money in the sport and some coaches had 2nd jobs in the offseason.  This is a billion dollar industry and needs to be treated as such.

P5 should break off.  Athletes need to form some kind of players union.  NIL needs to be somewhat regulated, and players need to be paid by the university.  If that means Coaches salaries need to be cut by 40% than so be it

We know how you feel. This is not that argument. The questions are, at least as I understand it, is who is the governing body that will oversee all this money and how will it keep a few teams from becoming the New York Yankees and everyone else the Pittsburgh Pirates? These are legitimate questions directly related to the popularity of the sport. I know the counter argument is that we have non parity now, but who thinks uat will be this good when Saban retires? Most of us just want to keep college football as relevant as it is today. Change is hard and sometimes necessary. But not always good or well implemented.

And if people think any sport is too big to fail, we all thought that about NASCAR a decade or so ago. The power structure there cut profits in half, and the attendance at the tracks are abysmal compared to before all the changes big money and the arrogance that comes with it brought to the PTB.

--I'm not a huge fan of auto racing, I just know someone in the business. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Who is demanding the student athletes stay poor? And lol @ starting a union. 

“Yeah you’re broke, but you need to pay your monthly union dues!” lol how can anyone support a scam like that?

There needs to be zero official money paid. It needs to stay under the table like it always has or NIL. 

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

Who is demanding the student athletes stay poor?

Everyone crying about NIL

• Dislike 2

@W.E.Djust a quick derail...no one DEMANDS a person play football. It is their choice.  

Back on topic, someone needs to govern/manage this sport a whole lot better than it is currently, agreed 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

@W.E.Djust a quick derail...no one DEMANDS a person play football. It is their choice.  

But people demand they aren't allowed to get paid.

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I will never, ever, ever understand how we got to a point where we consider a free college education as “no benefit”. I mean monetarily it’s literally be 50k to upwards of 100k. Add in meals, housing, everything. To play a damn game. Doing that for 85 kids at a time, at hundreds of schools.

The college game could very well revolutionize itself into relative obscurity. Won’t happen overnight. But I know personally I don’t spend a quarter of the time I used to watching or following CFB.

If you fundamentally break the appeal - student athletes playing for the schools you attended/are connected to, people are going to tune out. And there’s going to be no other choice but to do exactly that. If the schools pay kids, unions do CBAs, conferences hold high school drafts it will be unfeasible to ask kids to go to class. And that’ll be the severing.

CFB is too big to fail but it’s not too big to recede. MLB has. Boxing has. Hockey did but has finally come back a bit. It’ll be interesting to see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Who that matters? The toothpaste is out of the tube. It's not going back in no matter what anybody on a message board thinks, demands, or wants. Now we better figure out a way to regulate it or a handful of schools will simply pay more for the best players. Even Jimbo Fischer thinks this has to change. How college football handles this will be huge. We live in interesting times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

The money doesn’t work the way you think it does. No investors or executives (aside from a handful of TV contract holders) get rich off college football. Basically, the coaches do. And that’s about it.

Football and basketball money literally CARRIES entire athletic departments. And even with it, most schools end up in the red. 

The misconception is that a school like Auburn will profit $100 million every fall on football tickets, TV contracts, etc. and it goes into the pockets of fat cats (which, it’s always hilarious nobody talks about where they think the money ends up).

The truth is Auburn might generate $100 million off football. But that has to pay for every flight, meal, bus ride, hotel room, scholarship, uniform, apartment, book, bill or miscellaneous expense made by the athletic department for the ENTIRE year, by sports that do nothing but lose money.

A trip for Men’s Tennis to a tournament in Tucson, Arizona. Do you think that trip pays for itself? 

Upgrades to the Women’s Soccer stadium. Where does that money come from?

The Softball team brings in a new coaching staff. Who is paying them and with what money?

Currently, the money generated by football makes very few rich outside coaches. If you cordon the money off, the theoretical $100, and pay the football players what “they generate”, then just be prepared for literally every other sport outside Men’s Bball to shut down. In fact, most schools wouldn’t even be able to keep Men’s Bball afloat.

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I will never, ever, ever understand how we got to a point where we consider a free college education as “no benefit”. I mean monetarily it’s literally be 50k to upwards of 100k. Add in meals, housing, everything. To play a damn game. Doing that for 85 kids at a time, at hundreds of schools.

The college game could very well revolutionize itself into relative obscurity. Won’t happen overnight. But I know personally I don’t spend a quarter of the time I used to watching or following CFB.

If you fundamentally break the appeal - student athletes playing for the schools you attended/are connected to, people are going to tune out. And there’s going to be no other choice but to do exactly that. If the schools pay kids, unions do CBAs, conferences hold high school drafts it will be unfeasible to ask kids to go to class. And that’ll be the severing.

CFB is too big to fail but it’s not too big to recede. MLB has. Boxing has. Hockey did but has finally come back a bit. It’ll be interesting to see.

It's not "no benefit" it's benefit no where near their true value.  You had a valid point of this in 1990.

There will always be CFB.  Kids getting paid over the table vs mass wide spread cheating isn't going to change anything.

That train has been gaining momentum for a few years. It's time to start adding the coal and fire this thing up.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's not "no benefit" it's benefit no where near their true value.  You had a valid point of this in 1990.

There will always be CFB.  Kids getting paid over the table vs mass wide spread cheating isn't going to change anything.

Well like I said, you can pay them their true value if you like but you’ll kill every other college sport. In the current system college football bankrolls entire ADs.

On 8/17/2022 at 7:25 PM, AUght2win said:

I agree 100%. I watch because it's my school that I love. If it were a semi-pro team sponsored by the school I love, then I'm not sure I even care anymore.

• Like 2