*Official Auburn vs. Mercer Post-Game Discussion Thread*

Didba

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly.  We aren't there. We aren't necessarily close. We are, however, clearly moving in the right direction and building towards something.  It was beautiful to see a continuation from last year's team rather than having to start each year brand new and waiting 4 games for an identity.

I thought the only thing missed was the use of multiple TE formations. We have some really good TEs that should be used on 3rd down a LOT.

• Like 4

image.gif.5f6467e61938e8bcbee7564724c566ed.gifThat’s my quarterback!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

OL?

I actually thought I mentioned OL but I guess slipped my mind. Still early to tell. I think LT looks good with KZ. I like Tate at C and thought he did well. I still worry about his lack of weight against SEC but I think we may be fine there. I was probably least impressed with Stutts' play, but again...I will need to rewatch.

3 hours ago, GoAU said:

Can't say it any better than @Tigerpro2A said in his earlier post.

Just want to add, I don't think you can really assess the OL in this game - just not enough on the Mercer DL to test them like they'll get tested later this season.   That being said, I didn't see any clear misses on assignments, so I guess there is that.

I'm still smiling after that pitch option play with TJ & Robby - so cool to be completely surprised like that!

This^^^^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

I thought the only thing missed was the use of multiple TE formations. We have some really good TEs that should be used on 3rd down a LOT.

Me too!

My son and I were talking about that.  We weren't necessarily vanilla on O, but we certainly didn't show much either.  I bet we see a lot more moving forward.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Me too!

My son and I were talking about that.  We weren't necessarily vanilla on O, but we certainly didn't show much either.  I bet we see a lot more moving forward.

I am certainly hoping, as should be the case with PSU 2 weeks away, that coaches are purposefully keeping things very vanilla. One can always hope.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Looked like everyone was playing pretty disciplined ball.

I agree!  Especially for week 1!  Our guys were doing what they were supposed to   

We had 3 penalties.   Both of the first 2 penalties were garbage, (a hold that shouldn’t have been called on a huge Tank run, and a poor running into the kicker call that gave them a first down.  Both HUGE momentum swings!!!   I don’t remember the 3rd penalty.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I agree!  Especially for week 1!  Our guys were doing what they were supposed to   

We had 3 penalties.   Both of the first 2 penalties were garbage, (a hold that shouldn’t have been called on a huge Tank run, and a poor running into the kicker call that gave them a first down.  Both HUGE momentum swings!!!   I don’t remember the 3rd penalty.  🤷‍♂️

Off-setting personal foul penalties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Me too!

Said the same thing. I have no doubt the TE's will be more involved. Probably in the Penn State game. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Impressions from the radio only:

Play calling showed more imagination than last season. Better job of getting subs some playing time. Sideline organization was good for first game with no delay penalties or other unseemly events. Cam Riley finally showed why most observers thought he was the prize pickup among the linebackers in his recruiting class.

Downside? Not much. AU was expected to win and won. There will be steeper hills to climb in the near future.

If you were able to glean anything from listening to Andy, you should pursue a career in code-breaking intelligence.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If you were able to glean anything from listening to Andy, you should pursue a career in code-breaking intelligence.

The game will be on the SEC TV network tonight so maybe all will be revealed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beagle34 said:

What is with the one leg white stocking that  Tank and DA are wearing ? Look like old school nurse stockings. 🤣

Color code for which way the play is going?

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, bigbird said:

Exactly.  We aren't there. We aren't necessarily close. We are, however, clearly moving in the right direction and building towards something.  It was beautiful to see a continuation from last year's team rather than having to start each year brand new and waiting 4 games for an identity.

Question Mr. Bird. So I heard TJ talking about the first interception coming because he was throwing to a spot that their film time showed the Mercer defense didn’t usually cover and that they had practiced that with it not being covered in practice. So what gives there ? I would think looking for that opening surely, but you have to be aware it’s not always going to be that way especially on the first game of a new season. 🤔

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

Defensively the two players who made the biggest impact were Cam Riley and Eku Leota.  The Mercer QB is a true dual threat QB and we were pretty solid in not allowing him to get outside both Hall and Leota did a good job there. We got penetration but QB was able to use legs to keep it alive enough to stop us from getting sacks but he knew where our Edge rushers were.  Next game we need to change hurries into sacks. To be honest DB play was not bad but was not as good as I expected.

O-Line play early on I saw a few missed assignments but as game went on they got better. WR's did a good job of blocking downfield. WR's got separation just not used that much.  RB's were dominant. Before the game I was wondering if Alston might be pushing Hunter after watch how quick and powerful Hunter was I was wrong.  I saw very solid QB play with exception of the two picks. Ashford was 4 -7 but should have been 5-7 on the pass Tank dropped which was a good throw. the other two missed one I think was miscommunication between Ashford and WR and the other was a bad throw but luckily we got a Pass interference call and receiver did a good job of forcing the call. As others mentioned very vanilla TE calls. I think we are saving that for Penn State game where I expect more 2 and 3 TE sets. 

A solid first game against a decent FCS team now we will see in next game if we corrected our issues.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I saw the same things most everyone has said.  It looked, to me, like TJ was throwing off of his back foot instead of stepping into his passes and 86 was having a hard time with his blocking assignments early in the game.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As others mentioned very vanilla TE calls. I think we are saving that for Penn State game where I expect more 2 and 3 TE sets. 

We do have a number of TE on the squad and they weren't involved very much. However, after looking at some of the athletes other teams had at TE in games over the weekend, (UGA, FSU and so forth) I don't think our guys stack up very well. We don't have explosive players at the position. We don't have one who could catch a short pass and take it 50 yards to the house. Maybe our TE will be used to advantage at some point in the near future but I don't think the position is going to be a big game changer for us. I don't see TE as being a secret weapon we're saving for a big game surprise.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We do have a number of TE on the squad and they weren't involved very much. However, after looking at some of the athletes other teams had at TE in games over the weekend, (UGA, FSU and so forth) I don't think our guys stack up very well. We don't have explosive players at the position. We don't have one who could catch a short pass and take it 50 yards to the house. Maybe our TE will be used to advantage at some point in the near future but I don't think the position is going to be a big game changer for us. I don't see TE as being a secret weapon we're saving for a big game surprise.

Of course you dont

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Name our TE who would be in the top three at UGA. I'll wait...

Name a TE at the majority of Div. 1 schools that would be in the top three at UGA?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Name our TE who would be in the top three at UGA. I'll wait...

To sum up most all of your posts for the last 18 months..  " We dont", " we won't, I can't, we can't, We haven't, Harsin can't, Harsin hasn't..... 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

To sum up most all of your posts for the last 18 months..  " We dont", " we won't, I can't, we can't, We haven't, Harsin can't, Harsin hasn't..... 

This much of your post is correct.

7 hours ago, Didba said:

Name a TE at the majority of Div. 1 schools that would be in the top three at UGA?

Probably very few. That's why TE isn't a major weapon at most schools. A few schools have such an athlete and they use them. We don't have one.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This much of your post is correct.

Probably very few. That's why TE isn't a major weapon at most schools. A few schools have such an athlete and they use them. We don't have one.

And another " We dont".... 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Didba said:

I always thought you were actually a Bammer but I guess in reality you are a Dawg!!

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I always thought you were actually a Bammer but I guess in reality you are a Dawg!!

Caught me!