What is different this year? No Bo and McClain?

gr82b4au

Ever since we lost Bo, we have not won a P5 game.
Our defense this year is terrible and the linebackers continue to be out of place.  
Terrible coaching aside, it looks like losing those two players has hit us hard. 

I knew losing McClain would hurt. He’s one of the most underrated defenders we’ve had in Auburn the past 10+ years. You could tell how important he was last year when he had to miss the first half of the Georgia state game.

And our defense looked lost but as soon as he was inserted in the 2nd half, everything went back to normal and we shut them down the 2nd half 

• Like 7

I mean we really have upgraded or stayed the same in just about every other position except for these two areas. It is unbelievable that we are this bad, Even if you just compared last year’s Penn State game to this year. 

…maybe the new oc and dc are really, really bad? 
I mean there are no other big changes, right? 

Edited by gr82b4au

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

I mean we really have upgraded or stayed the same in just about every other position except for these two areas. It is unbelievable that we are this bad, Even if you just compared last year’s Penn State game to this year. 

…maybe the new oc and dc are really, really bad? 
I mean there are no other big changes, right? 

On the offensive side, the WRs played a MUCH better game this year vs. last year where we seemed to drop every other pass. Only bad play I remember was Shed's fumble, super frustrating and a 14 point swing that took away any hope that we had at that point.

TEs were neutral

RBs were neutral (underutilized in both PSU games)

OL seems somehow worse w/ largely the same folks other than Brahms/Johnson switch

QBs seem worse. Advantage to Bo bc we are having to get the same pass/run production from that position w/ two QBs now instead of just him

33 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

On the offensive side, the WRs played a MUCH better game this year vs. last year where we seemed to drop every other pass. Only bad play I remember was Shed's fumble, super frustrating and a 14 point swing that took away any hope that we had at that point.

TEs were neutral

RBs were neutral (underutilized in both PSU games)

OL seems somehow worse w/ largely the same folks other than Brahms/Johnson switch

QBs seem worse. Advantage to Bo bc we are having to get the same pass/run production from that position w/ two QBs now instead of just him

I would add Wooten, McCreary and Smoke. Smoke was on his way in the league before the injury. Moultry was decent in the games he played if he wasn’t jumping offside. I don’t think he played the entire season

Edited by e808

42 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

This is probably having a bigger impact than anyone thought it would. Brahms wasn't a world beater but he had a ton of experience and was responsible for calling out protections. Johnson may not know the right calls every time which could explain why the line looked confused so often on Saturday. 

As far as QBs, Bo was a better overall QB than what we have now, his problem was from game to game you could get the best game of his career or the worst. 

Having a serviceable QB will take you a long way in college football.  Auburn also has not had the same OC since 2017-2018.  The DC is starting to be like this too with Steele>Mason>Schmed>new guy in 2023.  Auburn needs consistency on both sides of the ball from a coaching and recruiting standpoint.  No one is going to play to their potential if you're recruiting guys for one system and you keep changing that system and style every season.  

On defense, we lost virtually all of our "difference-maker" type players save Derick Hall and so far, no one has stepped up to fill the void. The offense just doesn't have an identity. AT ALL. I honestly have ZERO clue what the heck we are trying to do/be on the offensive side of the football. Finally, with the exception of Ike Hilliard, every single offseason coaching change has been a downgrade. Auburn was not a well-coached team last year and has gotten decidedly worse since then.

On defense, we lost a lot of experience and it really shows. I don’t care if we have QB12 back there, the OLine is inept. Everything suffers. Sorry, Bo would not be doing any better than TJ. Our OLine is the problem on offense

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

On defense, we lost a lot of experience and it really shows. I don’t care if we have QB12 back there, the OLine is inept. Everything suffers. Sorry, Bo would not be doing any better than TJ. Our OLine is the problem on offense

Bo would be running for his life like last year. He's not an All-American but he's not a scrub either. Bo Nix never really had an opportunity to fully develop NOR did he ever have a competent OL to give him time to make the necessary plays.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

Bo would be running for his life like last year. He's not an All-American but he's not a scrub either. Bo Nix never really had an opportunity to fully develop NOR did he ever have a competent OL to give him time to make the necessary plays.

Agree! Also, Bo wanted every play to be a highlight play. Check downs were never an option. 

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

The lines are worse. Significantly on Offense. 

Brandon Council's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of the first half tells you everything you need to know about our offensive line this year.

59 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Brandon Council's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of the first half tells you everything you need to know about our offensive line this year.

It is the same as last year and the year before, minus the center. 

Just now, fredst said:

Because you have supported evil

Yeah I don't know what this dude is on. I thought it was something worth while haha

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Ever since we lost Bo, we have not won a P5 game.
Our defense this year is terrible and the linebackers continue to be out of place.  
Terrible coaching aside, it looks like losing those two players has hit us hard. 

Wha? I had been assured that getting rid of Bo was a great move!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don't know what this dude is on. I thought it was something worth while haha

Consider the source lol. Any support of Harsin ever during his tenure will *not* be forgiven or forgotten

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nurbis said:

This is probably having a bigger impact than anyone thought it would. Brahms wasn't a world beater but he had a ton of experience and was responsible for calling out protections. Johnson may not know the right calls every time which could explain why the line looked confused so often on Saturday. 

As far as QBs, Bo was a better overall QB than what we have now, his problem was from game to game you could get the best game of his career or the worst. 

I thought that before the season. But after watching, Tate Johnson is probably our top o line performer right now. The rest of the guys are 4th, 5th, and 6th year players and should know what they’re doing and how to do it. They don’t, and they should be ashamed of their performance the past two weeks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

Consider the source lol. Any support of Harsin ever during is tenure will *not* be forgiven or forgotten

Neither will those that offered zero...🤫

• Love 2

20 minutes ago, fredst said:

Consider the source lol. Any support of Harsin ever during is tenure will *not* be forgiven or forgotten

What a weirdo. I very rarely if ever even engage with this guy. I was so confused.

• Like 2