This is different now to me

cole256

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Not at all, but didn’t Kirby want more control a la Saban and he wasn’t going to get that at AU. Nobody has since Dye. 

If Kirby wasn't getting it, what makes anyone think Deion Sanders is getting it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jabo said:

It’s not like  it would be impossible for someone on here to know him. 

skeptical-chris-carey.gif.30e522974a3ebcb324dd5602deec4a96.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I am more impressed with Deion's traditional coaching ability (staff, etc.) than his recruiting because his recruiting is an outlier that has zero comparisons (without going back 30 years to Eddie Robinson at Grambling).

That said, Sanders recruiting is an outlier.

We can make a decision on an outlier, but we have done that for the last three hires.

I would rather not make a decision on an outlier.

We have no idea if Sanders success in recruiting translates to the Power 5 and the SEC. If Sanders had experience as an SEC assistant prior to his current FCS HC job, we would have something to triangulate on.

But we do not.

The guy knows how to market himself and his program. When was the last time Jackson St was being talked about? I think he could market Auburn and bring excitement, that’s one thing I’m sure of. His actual coaching I’m not. He will get an opportunity but it will probably be a lower tier program and once he success there he will get his call up from someone.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Dude wearing pleats like it is 1985. 

He's out.  Next

Sounds like our search committees to me

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

What happens if we had hired Kirby and that job opened up. I guess we’ll never know.

We would have been better off. There are no guarantees. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't say anything about Kirby but ok, rightfully so. And if this school don't want to let a coach run his program his way then that goes back to another thing I said....we will reap what we sow and we will deserve to be bottom of the bottom

Um..That’s what is happening right now, and until it changes, it won’t matter who is the HC. Auburn has some self-vetting to do before we ever smell success again.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

No way in hell. We don't have the talent on o line or QB for that. We don't have the talent on defense either. We have one or two players sprinkled. We don't have high level athletes. The few special athletes we did have last year either graduated or transferred

Fix the OL and we’re not even discussing a possible coaching vacancy. The OL is the heartbeat of any successful team. Ours is abysmal and has been for a few years. 

A good OL makes an average QB good and a good QB great.

Same for an average RB. 

If any of our current QB’s and RB’s had time to throw and gaps to run into, we’d be 4-0 right now, without question. 

A terrible OL affects the D also, by too many 3 and outs on O. Tires out the D.

Now, I don’t disagree that AU and Harsin need to separate, but I don’t think we’re beyond repair fairly quickly.

As far as Deion, I’d be ok with him, but I doubt Auburn could ever close that deal on his terms.

• Like 1

So, here is the absolute nightmare scenario:

-Aranda goes to Nebraska...meaning Grimes almost certainly gets promoted.

-Deion insists on staying at JSU.

-GT goes out and gets Monken, Dell, Muschamp and Searles at HC, OC, DC, and OL coach respectively. Alternatively, Monken goes to Zona State and Dell, Searles and Muschamp at HC, OC, and DC respectively.

-To pile on, Freeze is blocked by the SEC.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

-GT goes out and gets Monken, Dell, Muschamp and Searles at HC, OC, DC, and OL coach respectively. Alternatively, Monken goes to Zona State and Dell, Searles and Muschamp at HC, OC, and DC respectively.

Freeze will not be blocked by the SEC. I did hear Sankey say that explicitly on air pre-season (maybe media days). Not that he’s my first choice by any means. But I am confident there is no SEC barrier (based on his lasciviousness of record to date). 

Edited by AUx
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

This may be the most talent depleted team I've seen at Auburn.

The facts wouldn't be on your side.  24/7 does a roster ranking every year based on the player's high-school recruiting ranking.  They say AU's 2022 roster is 19th best in the nation and 5th best in the SEC.  We are only behind Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF.  AU has 34 4-star recruits on the roster.

Our biggest problem is we have underperforming QB's and a bad O-line (both go hand in hand).  TJ is always running for his life and Ashford can't throw well enough right now.  That's really it.  Everything else is perfectly fine and well within the top half of the SEC. 

Think about it: we have a 5 star RB in Tank and we have a very solid RB behind him in Hunter. We have very talented WR's who just can't get the ball thrown to them.  And we have very talented TE's who can both block and catch.

On D, we have very talented guys at every position.  Our Line is very good (Hall and Wooden are beasts), our LB's are talented (Pappoe was recruited by every team in America), and our secondary guys are fast and can cover pretty well.  Our D, while not terrible, isn't as good as it should be. Either the players don't get it, the coaches can't teach, or the scheme itself is bad.

TL;DR - we are deficient at a few key positions and that falls on the coaches for not evaluating/recruiting/portaling well enough.  But to say we are "depleted of talent" is pure nonsense.

Just now, AcUmen said:

The facts wouldn't be on your side.  24/7 does a roster ranking every year based on the player's high-school recruiting ranking.  They say AU's 2022 roster is 19th best in the nation and 5th best in the SEC.  We are only behind Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF.  AU has 34 4-star recruits on the roster.

Our biggest problem is we have underperforming QB's and a bad O-line (both go hand in hand).  TJ is always running for his life and Ashford can't throw well enough right now.  That's really it.  Everything else is perfectly fine and well within the top half of the SEC. 

Think about it: we have a 5 star RB in Tank and we have a very solid RB behind him in Hunter. We have very talented WR's who just can't get the ball thrown to them.  And we have very talented TE's who can both block and catch.

On D, we have very talented guys at every position.  Our Line is very good (Hall and Wooden are beasts), our LB's are talented (Pappoe was recruited by every team in America), and our secondary guys are fast and can cover pretty well.  Our D, while not terrible, isn't as good as it should be. Either the players don't get it, the coaches can't teach, or the scheme itself is bad.

TL;DR - we are deficient at a few key positions and that falls on the coaches for not evaluating/recruiting/portaling well enough.  But to say we are "depleted of talent" is pure nonsense.

The problem is, that's based off HS.  Many, once at Auburn, didn't progress or haven't yet. They aren't anywhere close to where they should be at this point.  The development has been better, but we are way behind.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Could still go after Luke Fickell at Cincy.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Linebackers have played very bad 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUx said:

Freeze will not be blocked by the SEC. I did hear Sankey say that explicitly on air pre-season (maybe media days). Not that he’s my first choice by any means. But I am confident there is no SEC barrier (based on his lasciviousness of record to date). 

The previous barrier was for recruiting issues I thought, not the moral choices. I would also add Ole Miss let him go bc of the moral choices not for the recruiting issues, but may would have bc of the recruiting issues latter.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

To me the fact that all the arguments is either hypothetical worst case scenarios or he can't be a good coach because he hasn't already coached for ten years or whatever is very telling in itself.

We need something drastic and doing the same ol conservative safe stuff over and over is literally killing this program

Gus and his offense was the exact opposite of conservative when we hired Cheez Whiz in 2008. Harsin on the other hand has been ultra conservative. I like Coach Sanders and what he’s done so far at Jackson State. I just don’t know if Auburn would turn the program over to him this early in his college coaching career. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh here comes redmilla talking again. I'm sure you'll say some dumb stuff then say you didn't realize you were saying it again. Thx for showing up, I'm sure somebody on here appreciates you somewhere. Probably on an ole miss forum or something

Dude, you're whining because you don't think you get enough credit on this message board, and you expect to not get called on it? Look, I don't know that you made the call about Deion Sanders at whatever point in the past, but I'm certainly not going to argue the point with you. Either way, I don't recall a whole lot of chest thumping about who predicted what (though admittedly, I could just gloss over such things unconsciously), and I find it curious that you seek such validation in the first place.

On that note, however, kudos for having the foresight to suggest that Deion might be a solid choice as our next coach. I'm happy to give you that credit. I still have serious questions before I'd be okay with him as head coach, but I suspect he probably would draw good enough assistants that I wouldn't have any problem with him being the coach except the lingering hatred of him being so damned good from his days at FSU.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Gus and his offense was the exact opposite of conservative when we hired Cheez Whiz in 2008. Harsin on the other hand has been ultra conservative. I like Coach Sanders and what he’s done so far at Jackson State. I just don’t know if Auburn would turn the program over to him this early in his college coaching career. 

Not the type of conservative that was being referred to 

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not the type of conservative that was being referred to 

Of course not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AcUmen said:

Lol ok it's nonsense because you say stuff like our db 's are good and fast....just point out what team had a worse defense and offense instead of misleading comments like pappoe was recruited by everybody.....We at times run a 3-4 and you pointed out one undersized linebacker to say what I said is nonsense. 

We have these very talented wr's.....We haven't had a dominant alpha wr since Seth Williams.....our db's cover pretty well.....what game? What game has our db's covered pretty well....but ok nonsense

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol ok it's nonsense because you say stuff like our db 's are good and fast....just point out what team had a worse defense and offense instead of misleading comments like pappoe was recruited by everybody.....We at times run a 3-4 and you pointed out one undersized linebacker to say what I said is nonsense. 

We have these very talented wr's.....We haven't had a dominant alpha wr since Seth Williams.....our db's cover pretty well.....what game? What game has our db's covered pretty well....but ok nonsense

To be fair they covered pretty well yesterday. For stretches of time at least.