Can we change the Offensive plan 5 games in?

gr82b4au

Is that possible ? 
Is there a way that we can actually run the triple option or the offense that Gus ran in 2013? Or screens or slants?  RA is not build for this current scheme at all. With no offensive line, it has to change right???

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Is that possible ? 
Is there a way that we can actually run the triple option or the offense that Gus ran in 2013? Or screens or slants?  RA is not build for this current scheme at all. With no offensive line, it has to change right???

Yes it can be done . Will it be done ? No. Also I am already laughing at the irony I am reading in this thread.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Coaches should have had an RPO/quick passing attack ready to go in case Finely got hurt.  We have to mitigate the OL by going some sort of air raid/quick passing attack

• Like 4

Some plays are in the playbook. Others can be added.

So some change can be made.

We could probably seen success with bubble screens on Saturday given how many defenders Mizzou between the offensive tackles. And those bubble screens are in the playbook, we ran them some last year.

Honestly, with this offensive line, I would put Robby at QB, put Tank, Jarquez, and Sean Jackson in the backfield, run the Wishbone triple-option, and have the OL do cut blocks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

the offense that Gus ran in 2013?

This is exactly what I texted someone during the game last Saturday. Speed wise, Ashford is similar to Nick Marshall.

But 2013 OL >>>>>>>>>>>>> 2022 OL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meh130 said:

those bubble screens are in the playbook, we ran them some last year.

You didn’t hear? Bobo took his complex playbook and went home. 

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

To me, the basis of this entire mess rests with the head coach and coordinators. They have not devised schemes that help our players succeed. Their offensive and defensive schemes should try to emphasize our team strengths and hide the weakness. I don't see any of that. I think they are trying to jam a round peg (players) into a square hole (their preferred systems). A good coaching staff adjusts their plans to fit the talent available, not vice-versa.

This right here ^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Is that possible ? 

With the pathetic OL Auburn has right now it's not going to matter what offense you run. This OL is more offensive than off-senive.

11 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

With the pathetic OL Auburn has right now it's not going to matter what offense you run. This OL is more offensive than off-senive.

I agree that there are not many options, but there are some. Mississippi State has a terrible old line and they just run really quick slants and passes. 
If we are not going to pass then sweeps to the outside instead of up the middle ? WR screens? Something. Anything other than what we are doing. 
It is like the guy calling the plays has never done this before

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If we are not going to pass then sweeps to the outside instead of up the middle

Boise State has always been a between-the-tackles run game because it works against Mountain West defenses. So no, our Boise coaches aren’t changing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Is that possible ? 

Bad decision to recruit Robby to run this type offense

If changing the game plan means actually throwing to the TEs, then sure, we can change the plan.

However, I see a coach more stubborn than Gus. Apparently it works on paper, so we just need the guys to execute the greatness of the current plan!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree that there are not many options, but there are some. Mississippi State has a terrible old line and they just run really quick slants and passes. 
If we are not going to pass then sweeps to the outside instead of up the middle ? WR screens? Something. Anything other than what we are doing. 
It is like the guy calling the plays has never done this before

All of those can work, and in some cases we have done them.

The quick pitch to Tank with the TE sealing the edge and the OT pulling as a lead blocker worked Saturday.

I don't think we have any real buck sweeps or trap plays, at least we haven't seen them.

For outside runs Harsin likes the outside zone or stretch play, and our OL just cannot execute that play well. We need angles.

Like I posted earlier, WR screens might have worked Saturday given how Mizzou loaded the box.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U mean run the offense that we wanted to get rid of?

I didn't mind the offense. It was the lack of imagination using it that got stale. Gus didn't get truly stuck in a run until after 2013. Then it was like everything that had worked in years past just went out the window. His brain was in some sort of vapor lock.

Good coaches adjust to their personnel. They don't keep beating that square peg into that round hole.

Its been a while since we had a coach that could adjust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bad decision to recruit Robby to run this type offense

RA was recruited as a project. Great wheels, strong arm, superb athlete. Develop his passing skills over time and you might get one heckuva QB. It was never intended for him to start this year. I think they thought he would be third at best behind TJ and Zach.

My how things can quickly change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U mean run the offense that we wanted to get rid of?

No I mean posters saying coaches should adapt to the skillset of their players. Same posters fought tooth and nail when the last coach didn’t do this.  But yes great coaches know how to freaking adapt. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Is that possible ? 

In short, no. 

2013 Gus offense was a perfect storm of highly talented offensive linemen, a perfect fit at QB, and a running back that even Gus couldn't wear out running him over, and over, and over again. 

You cannot consistently run into 8-9 man fronts on a yearly basis, and be successful. Hell, even Gus could not run the 2013 offense after that season, although he tried repeatedly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Boise State has always been a between-the-tackles run game because it works against Mountain West defenses. So no, our Boise coaches aren’t changing. 

What?  Kellen Moore ranks as the #6 in NCAA all-time passing yards.  I've watched BSU football over the years and would not characterize them as a run between the tackles offense.  Whatever kind of pathetic offense is being run at AU at the moment in no way represents the Mountain West or even what BSU has done in the past.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

What?  Kellen Moore ranks as the #6 in NCAA all-time passing yards.  I've watched BSU football over the years and would not characterize them as a run between the tackles offense.  Whatever kind of pathetic offense is being run at AU at the moment in no way represents the Mountain West or even what BSU has done in the past.  

Kellen Moore had two tremendous WRs to throw to in Young & Pettis, so yes, he threw for a ton of yards in 2010.

But Martin & Avery combined for over 1700 yards running mostly between the tackles that same season.

Boise coaches love the 1-back, 2-TE (or 1 TE, 1 slot WR) stretch run play.

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Arky is the best example of fitting scheme to talent. Pretty average talented team playing to full potential. 

Nah.  Arky's line is 100 times better.  I watched the aTm game and their QB had ALL day to throw.  Their pass pro is excellent, which makes sense considering Pittman was one of the premier O-line coaches for years. And, from what I understand, several of the guys on Arky's line were AU leans but AU didn't pursue them.  (Recruiting guys here might know more than me).