2015 3* JUCO DT Jonathan Taylor (Alabama signee)

madmoney123

When asked about this type of situation, Gus stated clearly "You don't go there." So as I said earlier, Gus has spoken and I'm not sure why our own fans would continue to entertain it as a possibility.

But we were fully prepared to "go there" prior to the recent NFL s***storm, so in reality, this new change in position (if it even sticks) seems highly PR dictated. I'm not going to pretend that just because the subject is now extremely taboo that Gus and company need to be applauded for their valiant stance.

I heard rumors, but nothing concrete that we were recruiting him. Are you basing this on more than just those rumblings?

FWIW that rumbling came from an insider on another board who is usually spot on.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had women make me really mad too but there is never ever ever a reason it's ok to hit a women. You just walk away. Easy or not that's what you do

Gender bias is hilarious.

There are lots of reasons to hit a woman, You think a woman can't physically harm you? Ronda Rousey could probably beat down the majority of guys on this forum if she wanted to. Go to a bar, you think some crazy b*** can't bottle you? It happens all the time. What are you going to do? "Walk away" LOL? I've personally seen a drunk sloot swinging a high-heel at a guy on the street...can you comprehend how much damage that has the potential to cause?

This has nothing to do with this case, but that exact overplayed logic you just spat out has given thousands of women the idea that they can go around doing whatever they want without consequence. It is a complete joke, and it trickles all the way down to the justice system which 9 times out of 10 will give a slap on the hand to a woman for committing the same assault that a man would get serious punishment for.

I agree with Metaphor here. I'm not a fan of this way of thinking.

I have had women make me really mad too but there is never ever ever a reason it's ok to hit a women. You just walk away. Easy or not that's what you do

Gender bias is hilarious.

There are lots of reasons to hit a woman, You think a woman can't physically harm you? Ronda Rousey could probably beat down the majority of guys on this forum if she wanted to. Go to a bar, you think some crazy b*** can't bottle you? It happens all the time. What are you going to do? "Walk away" LOL? I've personally seen a drunk sloot swinging a high-heel at a guy on the street...can you comprehend how much damage that has the potential to cause?

This has nothing to do with this case, but that exact overplayed logic you just spat out has given thousands of women the idea that they can go around doing whatever they want without consequence. It is a complete joke, and it trickles all the way down to the justice system which 9 times out of 10 will give a slap on the hand to a woman for committing the same assault that a man would get serious punishment for.

I agree with Metaphor here. I'm not a fan of this way of thinking.

When you begin to agree with Metaphor, it is time to question your thinking and your attitude.

When asked about this type of situation, Gus stated clearly "You don't go there." So as I said earlier, Gus has spoken and I'm not sure why our own fans would continue to entertain it as a possibility.

But we were fully prepared to "go there" prior to the recent NFL s***storm, so in reality, this new change in position (if it even sticks) seems highly PR dictated. I'm not going to pretend that just because the subject is now extremely taboo that Gus and company need to be applauded for their valiant stance.

Sounds about right. Disappointing.

I don't understand why Auburn is considering this guy, if we are. While I'm sure he is a good player his talent is not that much better than a different player to whom we could offer a scholarship.

I heard rumors, but nothing concrete that we were recruiting him. Are you basing this on more than just those rumblings?

The "rumblings" go farther than just "recruiting him": the word given by some deep insiders suggested that he was a possible done deal to Auburn and that the staff were planning on keeping it quiet until ~December. It makes perfectly logical sense as to why we'd want him: he played for Garner and already has an 'in' there, we lose 4 senior DTs at the end of this year, and most importantly this was a kid that was a Top 10 tackle out of HS with freakish physical ability.

I don't understand why Auburn is considering this guy, if we are. While I'm sure he is a good player his talent is not that much better than a different player to whom we could offer a scholarship.

I don't know if you noticed but our DL recruiting is horrible. I kept hearing that coach RG had a couple of surprises up his sleeve. If Taylor was one of them, well, Ray Rice is to blame for the whiff.

BTW, Georgia picked up another 4* DE commitment in Michael Barnett. That has to be their 5th DE commitment.

Actually I'd say Taylor, choking and punching a rather small female, is to blame for the whiff.

Meta, this isn't about defending yourself from assault. The statement was there's no excuse for punching a woman, but the statement was made in the context of a conversation about women SAYING stuff to make you angry. I didn't think we need to qualify the "don't hit women" position with, "unless they violently assault you first", but apparently, you needed that clarification.

There's no excuse in hitting women (or men frankly) for something they say. I make an exception for men talking about your wife or mom. In extreme cases, popping to dude in the jaw over that might be acceptable. Outside of that, words are never an excuse for violence. If a person attacks you with a weapon, defend yourself first then remove yourself from the situation as quickly as possible. A 340 pound bro choking his tiny lady friend wasn't defending himself first and removing himself as quickly as possible.

Actually I'd say Taylor, choking and punching a rather small female, is to blame for the whiff.

Meta, this isn't about defending yourself from assault. The statement was there's no excuse for punching a woman, but the statement was made in the context of a conversation about women SAYING stuff to make you angry. I didn't think we need to qualify the "don't hit women" position with, "unless they violently assault you first", but apparently, you needed that clarification.

There's no excuse in hitting women (or men frankly) for something they say. I make an exception for men talking about your wife or mom. In extreme cases, popping to dude in the jaw over that might be acceptable. Outside of that, words are never an excuse for violence. If a person attacks you with a weapon, defend yourself first then remove yourself from the situation as quickly as possible. A 340 pound bro choking his tiny lady friend wasn't defending himself first and removing himself as quickly as possible.

If coach RG was recruiting him, after knowing about Taylor's domestic violence assault, then what changed his mind? The Ray Rice incident...

Sure. My point is, Taylor has no one to blame but himself. The Rice incident raised awareness on an issue; Taylor's actions made that awareness applicable to this situation.

Sure. My point is, Taylor has no one to blame but himself. The Rice incident raised awareness on an issue; Taylor's actions made that awareness applicable to this situation.

I can agree with that

...if that version of the story is even accurate. I'm really not trying to be a dick, but rape and "domestic abuse" cases have a very high rate of fraudulence. The report of the arrest states that the victim had been "possibly strangled by the offender".

There is an Alabama fan on SEC Rant who claims to have met Taylor at his cousin's wedding. He states that the "other" story was that the girlfriend hit Taylor, he pushed her off, police were called by a third party and when they arrived the girl's friends backed her story. Obviously I can't comment on the validity of these statements, but every story has two sides.

There is an Alabama fan on SEC Rant who claims to have met Taylor at his cousin's wedding. He states that the "other" story was that the girlfriend hit Taylor, he pushed her off, police were called by a third party and when they arrived the girl's friends backed her story. Obviously I can't comment on the validity of these statements, but every story has two sides.

See, even given the degrees of removal from the source, at least that's a contradicting story. I did as much poking around as I could before forming an opinion on this guy, but there's just nothing else out there to refute the accusations.

Even if he's innocent, UGA looked at the overall picture and decided he wasn't worth it. Same with Tray Matthews, but Tray may or may not have verbally assaulted a teacher in addition to the check business. Taylor may or may not have physically assaulted a woman. The two scenarios are miles apart in my mind.

If the coaches were just dumb to recruit this guy from a PR standpoint- and that seems like the best case scenario, IMO, based on the information in this thread- then that would make me feel a lot better than if they were knowingly recruiting a violent criminal. And I know you all care about me feeling better.

AU should tread carefully here, these be rough waters. I will say that Gus is a man of character so I trust his judgement on who we are recruiting until we get burnt by a recruit with obvious problems before hand. I care not what the outside world thinks of anything AU. After 2010 I can't see why anyone would care what outsiders say.

McLoofus , I care, I really do. Your feelings are important and you need to be validated.

I knew I could count on you, Dixie.

I care, too, McLoofus. Glad you're feeling better knowing the coaches are dumb!

:poke:

AUbritt, your grasp on the content on this site is normally beyond reproach, but you kinda missed the target here. It doesn't make me feel better knowing that the coaches are dumb. I've stated repeatedly in this thread that I'm really disappointed we ever flirted with this guy. From the most pragmatic stance, it puts the program in a bad light. What would make me feel better is if the guy is innocent. I'll take dumb over morally reprehensible any day.

McLoofus , I care, I really do. Your feelings are important and you need to be validated.

I knew I could count on you, Dixie.

AUbritt, your grasp on the content on this site is normally beyond reproach, but you kinda missed the target here. It doesn't make me feel better knowing that the coaches are dumb. I've stated repeatedly in this thread that I'm really disappointed we ever flirted with this guy. From the most pragmatic stance, it puts the program in a bad light. What would make me feel better is if the guy is innocent. I'll take dumb over morally reprehensible any day.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, not serious. I agree with you.

Dicks-ie, I don't recall McLoofus asking for your validation. I do remember reading what he thought about the situation being discussed, but thanks for living up to half your name.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, not serious. I agree with you.

And so your grasp remains beyond reproach. Mine, on the other hand... (pokes self with stick)

I don't know if you noticed but our DL recruiting is horrible. I kept hearing that coach RG had a couple of surprises up his sleeve. If Taylor was one of them, well, Ray Rice is to blame for the whiff.

BTW, Georgia picked up another 4* DE commitment in Michael Barnett. That has to be their 5th DE commitment.

I don't believe the state of Auburn's DL recruiting should have a bearing on our signing this particular player. Theft is one thing, smoking weed is one thing, but i'm not keen on this.

Dicks-ie, I don't recall McLoofus asking for your validation. I do remember reading what he thought about the situation being discussed, but thanks for living up to half your name.

I like it better when you and metafour square off in one of your internet duels to see who can be the biggest jerk. That target is well-chosen.

I think you missed on this one, though. It's called teasing, mcgu. Dixie wasn't being dick-sie. McLoofus gets that, I believe.

Well if y'all care then I guess I'll have to care now. Geesh

Well if y'all care then I guess I'll have to care now. Geesh

You guys... :bigblush:

Archived