Looking at 2011 SEC West QBs

kfowler8

As you start to see prelim SEC rankings for 2011, I noticed that only one SEC West team will return a starting QB next year. Has this ever happened before? The only one I can think of is Relf at MSU and he certainly doesn't strike fear in the hearts of opposing defenses. Most believe Mettenberger will start at LSU. They believe they have their next Cam there. Doubtful.

While Auburn certainly lost a lot of playmakers, so did many others. Especially Alabama. So I don't see any reason why the SEC West is not wide open next year.

Bama lost Ingram, McElroy, Julio, and a couple of offensive linemen. They only lost a couple on defense, too.

Mettenburger doesn't have to be Cam for LSU; they did pretty danged well without a decent QB last year, and if he can upgrade the QB play from a D to even a C+, the Bayou Bengals will likely be in the national championship picture.

As we all saw, Arkansas' backup QB is no slouch, and I don't think anyone can really question Petrino's offensive production in college, so their bigger concerns are on defense; if they continue to improve there, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Just like every other year, this one will be a rough road through the SEC. Is it wide open? Absolutely! But will our players be hungry enough to go through it all again and get back to Atlanta? Time will tell.

Bama lost Ingram, McElroy, Julio, and a couple of offensive linemen. They only lost a couple on defense, too.

Mettenburger doesn't have to be Cam for LSU; they did pretty danged well without a decent QB last year, and if he can upgrade the QB play from a D to even a C+, the Bayou Bengals will likely be in the national championship picture.

As we all saw, Arkansas' backup QB is no slouch, and I don't think anyone can really question Petrino's offensive production in college, so their bigger concerns are on defense; if they continue to improve there, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Just like every other year, this one will be a rough road through the SEC. Is it wide open? Absolutely! But will our players be hungry enough to go through it all again and get back to Atlanta? Time will tell.

Red, Jordan Jefferson will be the starting qb at LSU... Im afraid his best year has yet to arrive. He looked good in the bowl game and I feel that even though he has not blossomed yet...I think hes about to.

With that being said... I do think Tyler Wilson for Arkansas will have more to shoulder than to just replace Mallet. Arkansas fans will expect him to be a stud from the get go. When he played against Auburn, he had nothing to lose but to just throw deep balls to Greg Childs. The second half was a different story when the Auburn crowd came alive and Roofs defensive schemes changed.

Bama will be good defensively as they always are, but I feel their offense will suffer without McElroy, Jones, and Ingram.

Roof has a blueprint to stop Bama's running game, we have seen it two years in a row. The second half defense on the road against Bama was possibly one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen. (2010.)

Auburn once again has the entire coaching staff back, and they are not going to slouch and say," Hey youngsters" we are taking the year off, we are going to let LSU win the west while we grow up"

Auburn will be very much in the race to win the Western Division.

The home games at Jordan Hare will be an advantage... I still believe the "circle" game on the schedule will be LSU at night in Death Valley (funny how we have to go to Death Valley twice" --- If we win that game... I think we take the Western Division.

I said many times leading up to the 2010 season... be careful backing these seniors in a corner... they will come together and battle till the end, and thats exactly what they did.

Doubt these young, but talented Athletes at Auburn now, my money is on them, and the coaching staff.

I prefer to enter seasons the way I entered 2010: cautiously optimistic, understanding that we have great talent but also glaring holes to fill. I predicted 9-3 last year, and I'll probably do it again this year; not because I don't think we can do better, but because that's the worst that I think we'll do.

As for the other teams, GA, you make great points about Wilson, and Jefferson is definitely talented, but I think he's going to turn into another Jamarcus Russell: all the talent in the world, several games providing a glimmer of hope, but just too inconsistent to be a championship QB.

Every team has issues. I certainly like us at least as much as anyone else in the SEC right now, I'm just trying to temper the excitement about next year a little.

I prefer to enter seasons the way I entered 2010: cautiously optimistic, understanding that we have great talent but also glaring holes to fill. I predicted 9-3 last year, and I'll probably do it again this year; not because I don't think we can do better, but because that's the worst that I think we'll do.

As for the other teams, GA, you make great points about Wilson, and Jefferson is definitely talented, but I think he's going to turn into another Jamarcus Russell: all the talent in the world, several games providing a glimmer of hope, but just too inconsistent to be a championship QB.

Every team has issues. I certainly like us at least as much as anyone else in the SEC right now, I'm just trying to temper the excitement about next year a little.

You nailed it... I wish we could post this to the entire country... Auburn is not the only team losing experience. Well said my friend. Lets see how everybody else deals with certain losses... I think Auburn will fare quite well.

I've said it before, Petrino does not know what he's doing with his defense.  Even though be brought in a decent class with numbers on defense, he spent 7-8 schollys onreceivers.  :dunno: 

As for lsWho, they have a lot of skill players coming back on offense, not sure about the O-line though.  We shall see...

Everyone assumes lsu is going to awesome but they have a new offensive scheme, lost their best wr in tolliver, couple of olineman, and may have a new qb for better or worse.  Also they lose nevis, k sheppard, and pp off their defense.  That is alot of experience and talent to replace.

Everyone assumes lsu is going to awesome but they have a new offensive scheme, lost their best wr in tolliver, couple of olineman, and may have a new qb for better or worse.  Also they lose nevis, k sheppard, and pp off their defense.  That is alot of experience and talent to replace.

Like Rednilla said... every team has Issues.

My money is on Auburn to do just fine because they have the coaching staff back intact.

I agree with Red that LSU will be in the hunt for the MNC if they upgrade even slightly on offense. I also agree with 3rdgen that they may not upgrade on offense -- will be interesting to see whether they go up, down, or nowhere. Regardless, they will be a tough team.

Arkansas -- yep, their backup QB from last year is no slouch, but their defense may well be their undoing.

Alabama -- they will be tough, as usual.

But there's not one of those games that I look at and think it's a guaranteed loss.

I think Relf and MSU will be pretty good, too.

So -- yes: totally wide open, with LSU the slight favorite going into the season (like Aguila, I am looking forward to the showdown in Death Valley).

:wareagle:

I agree with Red that LSU will be in the hunt for the MNC if they upgrade even slightly on offense. I also agree with 3rdgen that they may not upgrade on offense -- will be interesting to see whether they go up, down, or nowhere. Regardless, they will be a tough team.

Arkansas -- yep, their backup QB from last year is no slouch, but their defense may well be their undoing.

Alabama -- they will be tough, as usual.

But there's not one of those games that I look at and think it's a guaranteed loss.

I think Relf and MSU will be pretty good, too.

So -- yes: totally wide open, with LSU the slight favorite going into the season (like Aguila, I am looking forward to the showdown in Death Valley).

:wareagle:

the only thing more promising than a wide open race in the SEC is that the Western Division will once again be the best of the two sides.

You nailed it... I wish we could post this to the entire country... Auburn is not the only team losing experience. Well said my friend. Lets see how everybody else deals with certain losses... I think Auburn will fare quite well.

X@

Nope

Tyler Wilson will be the SEC's best QB next year. Bet on it.

Barrett Trotter is.

im in on that prediction. Only Aaron Murray from Georgia would change my mind.

I think Trotter will be a stud... Malzahn will show us a new side of this Auburn offense.

oh yeah, Without Cameron Newton.

Wasn't Trotter looking at battling for starting QB against Chris Todd when he had knee injury. Played behind heisman trophy winner last year. Trotter will be good or Malzahn will find a replacement. My money is on Trotter partly because of Malzahn. He has had 2 years to learn the offense. He may not be best in SEC. But he may be best in SEC west.

Don't forget, Trotter was neck and neck with Cam coming out of spring practice.  I don't believe that was all talk.  Trotter will be very good.  He has a quick release, and throws a very catchable deep ball.  What will make this offense interesting with Trotter is he throws a GREAT slant ball.  Remember all the smaller teams that we play that move the ball inside the 20's on us?  They did it with quick slants and bubble screens.  Problem is when they get inside the 20 they usually can't muscle it in to the end zone.  AU will move it consistently, and we have muscle when needed. 

Offense will not change just the play calls. Slants instead of square ins. Benton has the body for this. Remember the slant and up in NC game to Darvin. Trotter would've completed it. Same type pass he hit in A-day for 6, I think.

Gus had Chris Todd setting records and Trotter will have more weapons around him and a better handle on the offense after years of running it in practice.  Look for the D to improve enough to offset for the dip in offense with the loss of Cam.  I cannot wait to see the 2011 team take the field with the new recruits and the redshirts like Trovon.  All the while Mr. Frazier being coached by the best in the game for when his time comes, CGM. 

Wasn't Trotter looking at battling for starting QB against Chris Todd when he had knee injury. Played behind heisman trophy winner last year. Trotter will be good or Malzahn will find a replacement. My money is on Trotter partly because of Malzahn. He has had 2 years to learn the offense. He may not be best in SEC. But he may be best in SEC west.

Trotter would have been starting in 2009 if not for the injury, and Cam likely never would have come our way because we would have had an incumbent starter in place. Barrett will be fine, no worries.

Archived