What is our recruiting need

tdtiger71

How many players did you think we will sign in each position.  20 being a safe number here is mine list.

QB  2            DE  1

RB  3            DT  2

FB  0              LB  2

WR 4              S  2

TE  0            CB  1

T    2            P  0

G    1            K  0

C    0           

We losing Carr, Spry Jr, and Winter.  Plus I think Wisner quick the team early last year.  These players didn't play much last year.  They still need to be replace.

QB - 1

*With the addition of Frazier, we have 3 high quality QBs and only 1 will be an upperclassman next year.

RB - 2-3

*We're thin here currently, particularly at "big" back.  I think we'll take 2-3, with the first 2 being Dyer/Mason types, and the 3rd being (potentially) a McCalebb type.

WR - 2-3

*We'll be pretty deep next year, and we've definitely upgraded the talent at this position.  However, 6 out of our 11 WRs are either Juniors or Seniors.  I think we'll take ~3, depending on the number of spots we have available and the talent that we're in on.

TE/HB - 0

*We have 6 here (including Cooper, for the moment), only two of which will be Jr/Sr next year.  We added 1 TE type and 1 HB type this year.  We may not take anyone in 2012, given the limit numbers.

OL - 3

*We've recruited 2 large and talented groups here the last 2 years, and have only 5 upperclassmen (including Josh Harris) for next year.  We'll probably take ~3.

DT - 1-2

*We took 4 guys this year that could eventually end up at DT and have only 2 upperclassmen.  Great DTs are always a priority, but our need won't be quite as desperate.  Probably 1, maybe 2.

DE - 1-2

*If Singler eventually grows into a DT, we only ended up with 1 true DE in this class.  on the other hand, we only have 2 upperclassmen next year.  1-2 high quality guys would probably do it for us. 

LB - 3

*Out of our 11 linebackers (I'm not counting Wade Christopher or Swain), 4 will be upperclassmen next year, and 2 more (Curry and White) have some concerns about them.  Getting premier talent here could be a priority, depending on how those two end up.  I'll say 3, 1 premier MLB and 2 outside.

S - 2

*Even including Swain, we only have 6 on scholarship, although we'll only have 1 upperclassman.  I'll say 2.

CB - 1-2

*We have 9, 4 of which will be upperclassmen next year.  I'll say 1-2. 

Special Teams - We seem pretty set here, particularly with the addition of a walk-on kicker who sounds like he has a great leg.  Josh Harris is graduating, but Dakota Mosley has experience at LS, or we could find a walkon.

We losing Carr, Spry Jr, and Winter. Plus I think Wisner quick the team early last year. These players didn't play much last year. They still need to be replace.

Spry transferred to UNA and didn't think about Winter.

Do we really need 4 more WR? :dunno: Q-Carr is the only WR we will lose after this season.

With an increased dependence on the passing game I expect blake to have another big year and potentially benton to blow up next year. Both of those guys could leave next year with benton being more likely if he has a big year because of his age.

Do we really need 4 more WR? :dunno: Q-Carr is the only WR we will lose after this season.

With an increased dependence on the passing game I expect blake to have another big year and potentially benton to blow up next year.  Both of those guys could leave next year with benton being more likely if he has a big year because of his age.

Until I see Benton actually do something productive, I'll have to believe otherwise. He has potential though so I see what you're saying. Even if they have big years, I don't think they'll be big enough to be considered a draft choice.

QB- 1

RB- 3

WR- 2

TE- 0

OL- 4

DE- 2

DT- 2

LB- 3

CB- 2

S- 1

This looks about right to me -- it's heavier on OL and DL than other suggestions. If I had to make a change, I'd go with one less somewhere and try to add another DL.

As far as needs and priority goes, its early because you never know whats going to happen during the offseason due to attrition but this is the way I see it right now.

1. RB

2. OL

3. DT

4. LB

5/6. CB, DE

1 QB   Davis                               2 DT  Taylor, Shanks

3 RB   Yeldon, Williams, Mitchell   2 DE   Jenkins, Agee

0 FB                                          1 MLB Hayes

0 TE                                          2 OLB  Alexander, Brown

3 WR  Jones, Irick, Neal               2 S     Elston, Blanks

2 T     Peterson, Peat                  2 CB    Bonner, White

2 G     Flint, Waldrop

1 C     Darlington

23 Total unless we lose someone else.

How many players did you think we will sign in each position.  20 being a safe number here is mine list.

QB  2             DE  1

RB  3             DT  2

FB  0              LB  2

WR 4              S   2

TE  0             CB  1

T    2             P   0

G    1             K   0

C    0            

Coach Grimes has stated that he wants to bring in 4-5 offensive linemen every year.  I'm sure Coach Rocker would say the same about defensive linemen.  We aren't losing any QB's after next year, you only need to get one of those.  2-3 RB's is fine. 2, maybe 3 receivers would be plenty (you don't want to be like the Detroit Lions and go receiver crazy).  However, you can really never have too many Linemen.

Not seeing much love for a FB. Do you guys think a traditional FB or a big RB would work in Gus' offense? Just curious.  Weaqle Weagle!!!!!!

A big RB like Yeldon, or Brown would work fine at FB as long as they block. I think Malzahn may be going the H-back route though. Lutz, Fulse, and Uzomah.

I would like three linebackers this time. I have a question: I've read on here that Bama likes to get their commitments early, but then I read most early commitments in fact stay with their early commitment. Why doesn't Auburn get as many commitments early? Not saying this staff doesn't finish great every time, because it has shown it will and has done it that way so far. I'm curious why we don't have a bunch of commits early like Bama. Not saying they're better at all, just wondering why the difference in style?

I have the same questions Sparkey. I have read about several programs getting early commitments and it seems that is the norm for them. I would think we would want to ride the momentum of the great class we just signed, the national championship and and intact coaching staff. We have some high profile coaches that may not be present to wrap up recruiting next year.

I would like three linebackers this time. I have a question: I've read on here that Bama likes to get their commitments early, but then I read most early commitments in fact stay with their early commitment. Why doesn't Auburn get as many commitments early? Not saying this staff doesn't finish great every time, because it has shown it will and has done it that way so far. I'm curious why we don't have a bunch of commits early like Bama. Not saying they're better at all, just wondering why the difference in style?

I think from reading what guys say after visits.  That the coaches tell them to take all their visits and make sure they are certain about auburn being their choice.  After that they take a guy's commitment.  It is the opposite of the hard sell tactics of most coaches.  It works with some and less so with others.

So, sparkey and hrut, do you think our greatest recruiting need is to get more early commits?

I've wondered why we don't, too. On the other hand, what the coaches are doing now seems to be working. And we do get a few early commits who (along with their parents) help the coaches with recruiting -- K Frazier comes to mind.

I'm still going with linemen on both sides as the biggest and most persistent need.

:believe:

I think from reading what guys say after visits.  That the coaches tell them to take all their visits and make sure they are certain about auburn being their choice.  After that they take a guy's commitment.  It is the opposite of the hard sell tactics of most coaches.  It works with some and less so with others.

I agree with this, too. Coach Chizik is every bit as intense as Saban -- but I bet it's wise not to try to out-hard-sell the (wee)man. On the other hand, it strikes me as a pretty good idea to out-cool him.*  :cool:

*See Clowney's remarks on Saban.

Here is what I think our needs will be.

On Offense 12

1 Quarterbacks, 3 Running Backs, 3 Wide Receivers, 1 Tight Ends, 4 Offensive Linemen

On Defense 15

5 Defensive Linemen, 2 Defensive Ends, 4 Linebackers, 2 Cornerbacks, 2 Strong Safeties

I have a feeling that we'll take a couple of QB's this year.  I think we'll get one legit, SEC ready stud that will have a realistic shot of starting as a Redshirt Freshman or Sophomore and one lower rated, career backup type. 

I see us loading up on DE's after a light load last year.  3 for sure. 

The positions where we have the numbers, but just need the young pups to develop quickly are S, CB, and DT.  We'll probably just snag a couple at each of these positions to further strengthen the depth, but aren't in a rebuilding mode.

I have a feeling this will be a huge year for us at linebacker.  I see us getting 3 here, with a couple of big names in the fold.

I agree with the defensive parts. Snag a few DBs, DTs, 3 DEs, 3 LBs, all right. However, I only see us signing 1 QB since we have 3 on scholorship all ready. 5 may be a bit much. Trotter will be Jr. next year and he is the closest to graduating.

Archived