Conference Expansion Discussion

keekee

I have heard that Mizzou and WVU are targets and that the SEC didn't think Mizzou had their affairs in order. It looks like Mizzou will ask to join and we will decide who we take. I think it will be Mizzou for fear of losing them to the BIG 10. I don't expect them to stay in the BIG 12.

I think eventually we go to 16 with WVU being 15. So that leaves USF, CINCI, and Louisville as the remaining BIG EAST teams that logically fit into the SEC. I think it would be a shame to not pick USF out of that bunch. I think they are a sleeping giant based on location. I know that Slive said no one from a state that already has a team but that is an awful idea in my opinion.

I have heard that Mizzou and WVU are targets and that the SEC didn't think Mizzou had their affairs in order. It looks like Mizzou will ask to join and we will decide who we take. I think it will be Mizzou for fear of losing them to the BIG 10. I don't expect them to stay in the BIG 12.

I think eventually we go to 16 with WVU being 15. So that leaves USF, CINCI, and Louisville as the remaining BIG EAST teams that logically fit into the SEC. I think it would be a shame to not pick USF out of that bunch. I think they are a sleeping giant based on location. I know that Slive said no one from a state that already has a team but that is an awful idea in my opinion.

Wouldn't that rule out Louisville as well?  L'ville and Kentuck would be a great rivalry for the SEC though.

Louisville and Cincy yeah right... Not going to happen....

School          2010Average attendance    State Pop      Stadium Cap.

Cincinnati        35,067                              11,536,504    35,097          talk about leftovers plus Cicy is no where near the South for SEC

Louisville        50,648/32,450 in 2009            4,339,367    55,000        Louisville had the largest % of increase of any BCS school that is the best thing going for them.  Taking Louisville does not increase the SEC's brand.

I think we would be done at 14.  16 would be brutal on schedules and traditional rivalries.  Nothing to gain and you would lose too Many rivalry games. 

Its Mizzou if they act quickly, if not it it WV. 

After the comment by Missouri offical saying about the SEC "that's all that's left", I doubt the offer is still on the table.

I completely agree... A weak move by the SEC in considering Mizzu just became a possibly pathetic one should they get accepted.

The SEC needs people like A&M who have been ecstatic, grateful, & professional about coming aboard... not in-over-their-head, mediocrity-existing mediocre-acting, potentially continually-annual third place tigers/fourth place kittens in our Conference.

I was somewhat open at least to the possibility until the statements made today.

Ignore theses clowns & let's focus worthy discussion & ideas elsewhere.

After the comment by Missouri offical saying about the SEC "that's all that's left", I doubt the offer is still on the table.

Chill on  this one. Wasn't that one of those unidenfited sources ?  Two many with agendas to plant a comment like that to give it too much credit.  We've had experience with those insiders and their quotes too.

If it starts to go full tilt I would really like to see Georgia Tech come back. Not saying they would - I'd just like it. There were a few reasons - among them over signing:

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2010/02/14/why-did-georgia-tech-leave-the-sec/

Louisville and Cincy yeah right... Not going to happen....

School           2010Average attendance     State Pop      Stadium Cap.

Cincinnati        35,067                              11,536,504    35,097          talk about leftovers plus Cicy is no where near the South for SEC

Louisville         50,648/32,450 in 2009            4,339,367    55,000         Louisville had the largest % of increase of any BCS school that is the best thing going for them.  Taking Louisville does not increase the SEC's brand.

Those are interesting facts. Louisville could be okay I guess.

I agree with your statement about increasing the brand but this has nothing to do with the brand this is all about gaining the ability to renegotiate the tv contract.

Active speculation on Mizzou boards that Slive doesn't have votes.  UT, Bamr (natch), maybe LSU and Vandy - UT support ?  Guess a lot to do with UT / Bamr and Us .  Just can't get away from those Bamrz I guess.

That is the speculation from there anyway.

I want best available and can't stand the thought of regardless of who they are, us "settling for".......

Bama is leading the anti-mizzou push, vandy is 100% against expansion...  Now the rumor I heard is that UGA and UF want to pursue the EAST first.  The SEC is talking to VT, if VT says no, then UF and UGA flip and Mizzou is in. 

Surprisingly UT voted for the expansion.

This is all just my personal opinion, but I thought a few days ago that there was about a 75% chance Mizzou would join the SEC. Now with TCU going to the Big 12, I think there's only a 40-50% chance of Mizzou leaving for the SEC.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to hate the thought of Mizzou to the SEC. The pompousness is getting under my skin. They obviously want to be a BIG 10 school and are using the SEC as a fall back in case the BIG 12 Folds. The Big 10 doesn't want them. Why? This should be something that's discussed. Then they act like they're doing the SEC a favor because of academics. Sorry but I'll pass.

So Slive states that he's had a few teams reach out to him. Who? TAMU and WV? Seems to me that Slive is playing catch up. Seems as though he's the guy who will take any skank to the prom just because she says yes. He needs to get off his butt and pick up East Carolina, USF, or VT. Those and those alone will make great additions.

Please guys, I respectfully ask that oversigning.com be limited in it's use here. They have an obvious anti-SEC agenda and are turning away from the evidence that their beloved BIG 10 is doing the same things.

This isas are all things in business, a marriage of convenience. 

Mizzou B 10  conversation was designated to rile the troops. Anyone here not aware of the "truths'' found by unnamed sources ? It is and was however a real point as was ours to get Southern teams first.  No problem either way.  If we play best player currently available it is them. If they play best conference it is us.

I don't know about Slive.  He is a man making the best of the situation at hand and the players available. 

As to oversign, I have gone on over time and I agree the first and most obvious is its' B -10 agenda.  However,

look at the angst "The Process" solicits on this board and in the SEC.  Those tricks are not new to that dog,

see Ga. Tech's exist from the conference.  Several SEC schools including Ga and Fla. have come out against it

and IMHO should AU.  The only people it helps are the catchers up, Ole'! and the school trying to run

a semi- pro try out camp, whoever they are.

School            State Pop    Average2010Attend    Stad.Cap  Comments

East Carolina    9,535,483      49,665                    50,000      Would open up NC to the SEC footprint but with schools like NC, NCState, Wake and Duke it would look like the SEC was settling for the #3 or less team in NC.  My pick would be NCState.

VaTech            8,001,024      66,233                    66,233      Opens up VA to the SEC footprint.  A better football school than VA.  If I could cherry pick teams this would be one I would want a a list for the SEC,,,

USF                18,801,310      40,849                    66,321    Florida is a huge state I believe that the brand can and would be increased by adding another Florida school.  Florida had lots of schools FSU, UF, Miami, FAU, UCF and FIU.  Frankly if your going to add another Florida school add FSU but USF would be more acceptable to me than adding some of the other schools that have been mentioned.

I live in North Carolina and would like the SEC to come east. 

I'm in the NC State camp but when talking to some of my Wolfpack friends there is no interest in the SEC and most say it will never happen.  Partly because of state politics but primarily because State would lose the big ACC basketball rivalries that to many people are more important than football....and generate a lot of money. 

East Carolina has made big strides in football but around here it's still thought of as EasyU by the old-line NC universities and would add nothing to the conference.

Missouri?    That's not the south...might as well try to get Notre Dame or Pitt.

final (?) round of expansion.  I  think  neither is a remote entry immediately;

both would take time to get warmed to idea and for them to raise severence fees with ACC.

Understand  though that FB is opposed to SEC and hard to get NC ST away from fellow tobacco road schools.

No my Delaware Blue Hens are the best choice. Travel well and it would be great to go to New England this time of year. And god the female well never mind...........about the females

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to hate the thought of Mizzou to the SEC. The pompousness is getting under my skin. They obviously want to be a BIG 10 school and are using the SEC as a fall back in case the BIG 12 Folds. The Big 10 doesn't want them. Why? This should be something that's discussed. Then they act like they're doing the SEC a favor because of academics. Sorry but I'll pass.

So Slive states that he's had a few teams reach out to him. Who? TAMU and WV? Seems to me that Slive is playing catch up. Seems as though he's the guy who will take any skank to the prom just because she says yes. He needs to get off his butt and pick up East Carolina, USF, or VT. Those and those alone will make great additions.

Please guys, I respectfully ask that oversigning.com be limited in it's use here. They have an obvious anti-SEC agenda and are turning away from the evidence that their beloved BIG 10 is doing the same things.

Thank You!

Archived