Medical redshirt for Tre Smith

maryland tiger

Tre is obviously having issues with his shoulder so would the best thing be to give him a medical redshirt or do you guys think we will need him at the end of the season?

There was talk BEFORE the Season started of redshirting Tre. It was HIS decision to play this year. After all of the trouble he has with his shoulder (goes back to HS days) it looks as if he may very well take the medical redshirt this year. That would mean he has two more years to tote the pigskin for the Tigers ! ! !

I wish him all the best. He is a HOSS ! ! ! :au:

AUBURN - Junior Auburn tailback Tre Smith isn't sure what his future holds.

Because a shoulder problem that has plagued him since high school has worsened, Smith has played in just three of No. 4 Auburn's six games this season. He is not expected to play in Saturday's game against Arkansas at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Smith's left shoulder frequently sublexes, meaning it pops totally out of socket and back in.

"It's been hurt for a couple of years now," Smith said Tuesday. "It pops out now and then, but the last couple of times have been pretty bad. They are holding me out for the next couple of weeks and letting me do rehab."

Smith has just two carries this season for 36 yards.

"If I get hit on it, it falls down," Smith said. "If I have a pass thrown to me and I throw my hand up, it slips down on me. It will hurt real bad and I can't use it for a little bit. It feels like the more I play, it just gets worse.

Smith has not had a redshirt season. If he should be not be able to return, he would qualify for a medical redshirt. A player can receive a medical redshirt if he plays in no more than three of the first five games.

Smith said he originally injured the shoulder as a junior at Venice (Fla.) High. Players wore jerseys that allowed shoulder pads to flap up and down, he said, and he took a helmet on his beneath his shoulder pads on his bare shoulder.

i believe the NCAA rule is that you cannot qualify for a medical redshirt after 5 games into a season. They spoke about this in an article when Trey returned a punt against UT. I think this is correct but I may be wrong though

i believe the NCAA rule is that you cannot qualify for a medical redshirt after 5 games into a season. They spoke about this in an article when Trey returned a punt against UT. I think this is correct but I may be wrong though

111241[/snapback]

I'm no expert on the rule but all the media in Alabama are consistently saying Tre is elgible for a medical redshirt. Of course they could all be wrong as they sometimes are.

Archived