Most Important Auburn Coach of the Modern Era - 1980s to 2010s

lca4081345162963

Just for fun, I'd like to get your thoughts on this.

Before Gene Chizik came to Auburn in 2009, Auburn had just 3 official head coaches stretching back over 3 decades - not counting Interim Coach Bill Oliver or the end of the Barfield era in 1980. The three coaches - Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, and Tommy Tuberville - all brought their own style to the Plains, and all experienced extreme highs at some point in their tenure. Pat Dye established a strong foundation for competing in the SEC in 1981 before coaching a winning team in 82 and SEC Championship winning teams in 83, 87, 88, and 89, with a Heisman winner and both Lombardi and Outland winner in as well. Bowden replaced Dye at the end of his reign as Auburn went on probation. Within 2 years, Bowden had compiled the best winning percentage of a coach in school history, despite being held out of post season play and won the SEC West in 1997. Tuberville followed a similar path to success as Dye following the disastrous year of 1998, laying a foundation in 1999 and 2000 while winning the West that year, and finally producing the strong competing Auburn teams of the decade from 2002 on.

My question for you is, which coach should be considered the true source for Auburn's reputation in the modern era - that of a tough SEC football program with a penchant for upsets and now a National Championship to bolster its legitimacy? Most would probably say Dye, yet Auburn continually had to fight for attention and respect throughout the 90s, despite the wins of Dye's tenure. Bowden achieved great success in his first few years but the wheels came off after the 1997 season and it took Tuberville several seasons to restore Auburn's reputation.

Ryan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say Tubs. He took over from a waste of space. I had the misfortune of dealing with Bowden on many occasions. He was a prick of the first order (at least from my experiences).

Tubs team should have played for a NC in 04. He continually beat Bama like they stole something.

I love Coach Dye (have had the pleasure of hunting with him on the wagon) and what he has done for Auburn is tremendous. I think Tubs coaching in the BCS era is hard to compare with the pre-BCS era coaches.

I think CGC's legacy is a long ways from done. He coached a team to a NC and I believe has Auburn set to be a major contender for years to come.

Without a doubt, Dye.  Auburn had a culture of losing, we didn't believe in ourselves or our ability,. We were little brother. Without him changing the culture in and around the program, school, and fans there wouldn't have been the success that others had following.  Auburn had lost its way and CPD led us out of the wilderness.

Pat Dye hands down, no doubts, no question about it, no need for debate. If you think otherwise, you dont know much about the history of the Auburn football program.

I know this is not what you intended, but the heading was, “Most Important Auburn Coach of the Modern Era - 1980s to 2010s”  My vote for most important coach, but not necessarily head coach, is Kevin Yoxall.  Tub’s first outside hire and he’s impact is still shaping (pun intended) all of Auburn athletics.

It's not even close. Pat Dye took a program that had seen its splendor dry up as Bear Bryant dominated the college football world from across the state, and in three years had Auburn right back to the pinnacle. Year two he beat Bear, year three he SHOULD have won it all. In 88, we were a single big play away from playing Notre Dame for it all. 89 saw our biggest rival finally make the trek to the Loveliest Village.

Everything that has happened to AU's football program since has been a product of Dye's efforts, because none of it would have been possible if not for Pat.

Pat dye by miles and miles. We would not be the program we are today or close without Dye. He changed the mindset, the culture, the economics of AU athletics. Not just football. Dye changed EVERYTHING athletics related as the coach and AD.

Pat Dye's introductory comments as the new AU coach were classic and epic. Something about with the help of the alumni, students, faculty, fans and former players we can bring Auburn back to what it once was. And he delivered. In spades.

It has to be Pat Dye and it probably won't matter how many NCs that CGC brings AU.  The reason is because the OP asked who is the "Most Important" coach.  Pat Dye took a program that had over the years gradually slid down to becoming a second tier football program and pushed it back up into the big boy ranks to stay.  He did this in many ways:  changing the culture from one of just being a good sport that puts up a good fight in an often losing effort to one of being a winner and a good sport too, beating uat more often than not, bringing the IB to Auburn finally, winning a lot of important games against high quality ranked opponents, etc.  I believe the success that AU has had in the ensuing two decades was set up by CPD.  Now, if CGC wins a few more NCs, he certainly may become the "Most Beloved" Auburn coach in the modern era...but that is yet to be seen.  Personally, I'm optimistic and look forward to a window seat for the ride!  War Eagle!

As many have stated, Dye put us back on the map after a long stretch of mediocrity and helped us remember who we are.  He's a big reason why we have been as successful as we have been the last 20 years since his tenure ended.

Pat Dye accomplished three goals for the restart of the AU program: 1) He put the fight back in our attitude ; 2) took the IB out of Birmingham; 3) and laid the foundation for future successes.

WDE !!!

Quote from: augolf1716 on Today at 03:33:45 PM

W/O a doubt Doug Barfield the guy was a genius on defense

You forget that it was Doug's  DC, P. W.  "Bear " Underwood that was the architect

of those memorable (''shuddder") D's. 

Now back to reality, Coach Dye for all the reasons listed .

Yellow = sarcasm, except for Bird.  He's just a yellow bad a$$.    :hellyeah:

FIFY :thumbsup:

Patrick Fain Dye!

"Then-Auburn Athletic Director Emeritus David Housel said of Dye in 2006: “The biggest thing Pat did was change Auburn’s psyche,” said Housel, who served as SID during Dye’s tenure. “His thing was what can we do to be better. He looked inward at the program. Pat said that we needed to worry about Auburn, not about Alabama and what they were doing. When he changed the attitude, a lot of good things happened at Auburn.”

When Dye took over, the program had won just 15 SEC games in the previous five years. They hadn’t beaten Alabama since 1972 and Bear Bryant had a stranglehold on in-state recruits.

But Dye wasn’t intimidated. When asked how long it would take to beat Alabama, Dye curtly replied, “Sixty minutes.”

:hellyeah:

everyone who hasnt read dye's book "In the Arena", should read it. im just now finishing it and it is great. and yes dye is the most important coach in a very long time. he also put east carolina on the map, would have had wyoming there too if not for au calling.

Archived