2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

No slame Jeremy, I'm thrilled we have him, but why do we always pass on the BIG NAME QB recruits every year. I know we lost out on 3 QB studs for 2013.

2002 Brandon Cox 4* #9 Pro-Style QB in the country

2006 Neil Caudle 4* #7 Pro-Style QB in the country

2007 Kodi Burns 4* #8 Dual-Threat QB in the country

2009 Tyrik Rollison 4* #2 Dual-Threat QB in the country

2010 Cameron Newton 5*...... you know the rest!

2011 Kiehl Frazier 4* #2 Dual-Threat QB in the country

Hackenberg is a 4* and the #7 Pro-Style QB in the country (pretty much the type of QB we typically recruit and sign)

Now we did apparently pass on some big name qbs between 03-05 but not making a run at CH hardly qualifies.

Great list, thanks for posting. Now, I don't think we can find a better QB prospect for Auburn than Jeremy Johnson. If somebody wants to argue that we should sign two that would be great for Auburn, fine. Who is the second one?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great list, thanks for posting. Now, I don't think we can find a better QB prospect for Auburn than Jeremy Johnson. If somebody wants to argue that we should sign two that would be great for Auburn, fine. Who is the second one?

It has been said that Jason Smith will get a crack at QB. But since you asked, I would tack a crack at Zac Greenlee, who was in the Elite 11 but only has 1 offer (Fresno St.), and take another shot at Kohl Stewart. Brandon Cox is also a possibility. :laugh:

It has been said that Jason Smith will get a crack at QB. But since you asked, I would tack a crack at Zac Greenlee, who was in the Elite 11 but only has 1 offer (Fresno St.), and take another shot at Kohl Stewart. Brandon Cox is also a possibility. :laugh:

Greenlee is a hidden gem and the word is getting out on him. I suspect the first big name school that courts him will get him

I would take him and can johnson in a minute.

And that's the reason you're not a coach...

I've liked Johnson since I first heard about him, but I'll admit to being skeptical of his ability to be a first rate QB for a while there. Even when we ended up offering him the scholarship, I thought it was less because he would be the heir apparent to Frazier and more because Lefty wasn't blown away by any of the QBs he evaluated.

I was wrong. The way he tore through camps this summer left no doubt that he's a premier prospect. He's a homegrown talent, he has prototypical size, and his attributes as a passer are outstanding...and not only that, but the kid absolutely cannot wait to get into orange and blue. He is EXACTLY the kind of player that we want on the Plains. I'm all for national recruiting to some degree, but we can't forget about the home base of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, because there are tons of great players right in our own back yard, and the more of them we bring in, the more we open/maintain pipelines that will keep producing for years to come.

we can't forget about the home base of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, because there are tons of great players right in our own back yard

To wit: according to Rivals, that would be 4 of the top 5, 7 of the top 10, 9 of the top 15 and 10 of the top 20.

I've liked Johnson since I first heard about him, but I'll admit to being skeptical of his ability to be a first rate QB for a while there. Even when we ended up offering him the scholarship, I thought it was less because he would be the heir apparent to Frazier and more because Lefty wasn't blown away by any of the QBs he evaluated.

I was wrong. The way he tore through camps this summer left no doubt that he's a premier prospect. He's a homegrown talent, he has prototypical size, and his attributes as a passer are outstanding...and not only that, but the kid absolutely cannot wait to get into orange and blue. He is EXACTLY the kind of player that we want on the Plains. I'm all for national recruiting to some degree, but we can't forget about the home base of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, because there are tons of great players right in our own back yard, and the more of them we bring in, the more we open/maintain pipelines that will keep producing for years to come.

Condecension and belittling aside, so long as we honor our scholly offer to JJ, not bringing in Berg (if that's even a realistic option) is the same stupid thought process on this board as when Wilson was considering AU. It went something like this: "don't bring in this highly touted prospect b/c it will mess up the good team chemistry with the mix of Trotter, Moseley and incoming true frosh Frazier (!) and besides, it wouldn't be fair to inject this NC State outsider transfer to the other QBs that have been busting their butts to be starters. It's just not the Auburn way."

Wilson's going to Wisco and being a phenom there notwithstanding, rejecting adding the #1 QB prospect into the AU QB competition mix is something only a, er, fan would propose.

Condecension and belittling aside, so long as we honor our scholly offer to JJ, not bringing in Berg (if that's even a realistic option) is the same stupid thought process on this board as when Wilson was considering AU. It went something like this: "don't bring in this highly touted prospect b/c it will mess up the good team chemistry with the mix of Trotter, Moseley and incoming true frosh Frazier (!) and besides, it wouldn't be fair to inject this NC State outsider transfer to the other QBs that have been busting their butts to be starters. It's just not the Auburn way."

Wilson's going to Wisco and being a phenom there notwithstanding, rejecting adding the #1 QB prospect into the AU QB competition mix is something only a, er, fan would propose.

If the coaches promised JJ he would be the only QB in this year's recruiting class, I'd say that's a pretty solid reason to not go after Hack. But it was more the implication of tossing Johnson aside for Hack that I was getting at with that initial comment.

No slame Jeremy, I'm thrilled we have him, but why do we always pass on the BIG NAME QB recruits every year. I know we lost out on 3 QB studs for 2013.

Hackenberg is a 4* and the #7 Pro-Style QB in the country (pretty much the type of QB we typically recruit and sign)

Now we did apparently pass on some big name qbs between 03-05 but not making a run at CH hardly qualifies.

I've seen CH play and imo, JJ is better.

their is no gaurantee jj will do anything just like pike(who i thought was a mediocre qb and nobody really wanted as a qb when we kicked him off). every year everyone gets hyped up about a guy who is like between 10-20 at his postion and act like he is going to be the next cam newton. if you look at the list of guys list on this forum as qb recruits we got they all were crummy. except the jury is still out on frazier. cam was a jr college transfer he doesn't count. if this guy will go to auburn lets get him we have room. mosley would leave and pike is gone. he said he wants to go to a bowl game and most teams have a qb and he listed us second lets go for him and if johnson doesn't like it then let him do what he wants. where is he gone to go not to anywhere better than auburn most likely. all I know is somebody has a real shot at starting as a freshman if they have talent and can learn the system and that is a big selling point to a guy like hack

thats because you have bias for auburn and frazier looked real good in high school this is another level this is college ball. everyone is good on the field. in high school there is alot of kids with no talent to make it to the college level so it is hard to judge.

thats because you have bias for auburn and frazier looked real good in high school this is another level this is college ball. everyone is good on the field. in high school there is alot of kids with no talent to make it to the college level so it is hard to judge.

No, it's because I live in Virginia and have seen him play just like I have seen Derrick Green play and said similar things. JJ is better than CH imo.

I sat in the stands in Knoxville in 1969 and watched Pat Sullivan throw five interceptions in his first SEC road start. We lost 45-19. It's way too early to write Frazier off, he may be our next Heisman winner. At least, he's off to a better start than our first Heisman winner was.

I sat in the stands in Knoxville in 1969 and watched Pat Sullivan throw five interceptions in his first SEC road start. We lost 45-19. It's way too early to write Frazier off, he may be our next Heisman winner. At least, he's off to a better start than our first Heisman winner was.

Mikey, you're talking way too much sense for a lot of posters on this board.

I agree with you, though. Waaaay too early to give up on Kiehl.

their is no gaurantee jj will do anything just like pike(who i thought was a mediocre qb and nobody really wanted as a qb when we kicked him off). every year everyone gets hyped up about a guy who is like between 10-20 at his postion and act like he is going to be the next cam newton. if you look at the list of guys list on this forum as qb recruits we got they all were crummy. except the jury is still out on frazier. cam was a jr college transfer he doesn't count. if this guy will go to auburn lets get him we have room. mosley would leave and pike is gone. he said he wants to go to a bowl game and most teams have a qb and he listed us second lets go for him and if johnson doesn't like it then let him do what he wants. where is he gone to go not to anywhere better than auburn most likely. all I know is somebody has a real shot at starting as a freshman if they have talent and can learn the system and that is a big selling point to a guy like hack

Would you please stop comparing jj to pike in that respect? Pike had a laundry list of bad behavior while JJ's is an isolated incident

I hope this staff talks Christian into visiting Auburn this fall. It would be awesome if we turned out to be our big surprise signee in our 2013 class.

1. I have heard our coaches are not interested in another QB, even Hackenburg.

2. I don't understand this, but I do trust, support, and believe in our coaches, if that is what they want to do, I may scratch my head, but I will not criticize them.

3. QB is a critical position, if it turns out we loose games in the future because we are lacking at the QB position, it is going to cause a LOT of fans (who support CGC now) to question his judgement. In that case, he will have to suffer the consequences and I and a lot of others will not be out there defending him.

This is one of those areas in which CGC can't afford a mistake and I trust he knows that.

Well one would think by this time this staff would have learned when it comes to QBs the more the better. Bless BTs orange and blue heart his HS prowess did not transfer with him to the SEC. Bless CTs orange and blue heart as a SEC QB he was lacking something. Bless CMs orange and blue heart as a SEC QB he lacks something. Bless KFs orange and blue heart he was a great HS QB but its looking more and more like that aint gonna transfer to the SEC. If there is a chance that this guy will come he dang well should be brought in.

Well one would think by this time this staff would have learned when it comes to QBs the more the better. Bless BTs orange and blue heart his HS prowess did not transfer with him to the SEC. Bless CTs orange and blue heart as a SEC QB he was lacking something. Bless CMs orange and blue heart as a SEC QB he lacks something. Bless KFs orange and blue heart he was a great HS QB but its looking more and more like that aint gonna transfer to the SEC. If there is a chance that this guy will come he dang well should be brought in.

GTA:

I think you are jumping the gun way to early on KF. The talent is there. We have seen glimpses. I am convinced the light is one for KF and will only get brighter in the coming weeks. Not saying we shold or should not take a chance on Christian, but I for one, still like KF and JJ as well.

Not saying we should or should or should not go for

Archived