Dye: Chizik to return in 2013 even if he doesn't win another game this year

TitanTiger

Folks, I think there was a touch of hyperbole going on. No one expects Auburn to go 1-11 this year, if for no other reason than the fact that Alabama A&M remains on the schedule. His point was simply that Chizik will be back in 2013 and you can forget Bobby Petrino if that's your dream. I don't think he was pulling this out of his rear end, I think he's still in the know enough to say such things with confidence.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, I think there was a touch of hyperbole going on. No one expects Auburn to go 1-11 this year, if for no other reason than the fact that Alabama A&M remains on the schedule. His point was simply that Chizik will be back in 2013 and you can forget Bobby Petrino if that's your dream. I don't think he was pulling this out of his rear end, I think he's still in the know enough to say such things with confidence.

Exactly.

I have a question and I know I am going to get slammed for asking. How many of yall think Coaches Luper and Trooper return next season ? It seems to me there is some tension between CGC and CTT and honestly or receivers haven't been setting the field on fire. CCL's son committed to Texas A&M, if I'm not mistaken, that just doesn't make me feel warm and tingly inside. These 2 guys are 2 of the best recruiters in the nation, and are the best 2 in Auburn. We need them .

The odds of this team going 1-11 is nearly impossible with 2 cupcakes left on the schedule. However if it did happen, it would be a huge mistake not to consider a change.

I am no "Auburn insider", but I know Auburn well enough to know that any fourth year HC going 1-11 would be looking for a new job. I totally agree with Dye about petrino.

I have a question and I know I am going to get slammed for asking. How many of yall think Coaches Luper and Trooper return next season ? It seems to me there is some tension between CGC and CTT and honestly or receivers haven't been setting the field on fire. CCL's son committed to Texas A&M, if I'm not mistaken, that just doesn't make me feel warm and tingly inside. These 2 guys are 2 of the best recruiters in the nation, and are the best 2 in Auburn. We need them .

I don't see any major changes to the coaching staff unless we implode.

If Arkansas beats us, there's little chance we'll be right at 500 or under. And in my opinion, Chizik should not get another year. He's had 4 already and he's signed 3 top 15 classes and yet we don't have much (if anything) to show for it.

I was talking with a FSU Alum today who follows recruiting. He did not seem to be surprised at all about how Auburn was performing this year; but he said next year will be quite a bit better and the following year we should contend for it all. He based his opinion on how well Coach Chizik and staff have been recruiting.

We do not have enough top level senior leadership with this group especially in key positions on offense and defense.

Now he does not have a dog in the fight between Alabama and Auburn...............and does not despise Auburn like some do. He was offering a neutral educated opinion.........so if he represents many educated, well informed fans who follow the sport closely, then maybe we should give the staff a break and wait till next year to start posting doom and gloom stuff. For the record I am not happy with this year either.............but last year was a great coaching job by the staff. We have very good coaches that just happen to be fine men. All of us arm chair coaches really base our opinions on_______________ (watching games on television). How many of us have played or coached in Division 1 football? Surely we have a few that post on here that have played....those are the guys I would like to hear from now because their credibility is much higher than mine.

Am waiting......................................................................

I was talking with a FSU Alum today who follows recruiting. He did not seem to be surprised at all about how Auburn was performing this year; but he said next year will be quite a bit better and the following year we should contend for it all. He based his opinion on how well Coach Chizik and staff have been recruiting.

We do not have enough top level senior leadership with this group especially in key positions on offense and defense.

Now he does not have a dog in the fight between Alabama and Auburn...............and does not despise Auburn like some do. He was offering a neutral educated opinion.........so if he represents many educated, well informed fans who follow the sport closely, then maybe we should give the staff a break and wait till next year to start posting doom and gloom stuff. For the record I am not happy with this year either.............but last year was a great coaching job by the staff. We have very good coaches that just happen to be fine men. All of us arm chair coaches really base our opinions on_______________ (watching games on television). How many of us have played or coached in Division 1 football? Surely we have a few that post on here that have played....those are the guys I would like to hear from now because their credibility is much higher than mine.

Am waiting......................................................................

Thanks for the post. I appreciate getting some "outside" perspective. I'm amazed at those who don't allow for the realities of re-establishing a program. 2 years ago Miles was on the hotseat at LSU. A year ago Richt was on a really hot seat at UGa. Look at Texas the past few years--should Mack Brown have been fired because he shifted offensive philosophies & struggled for a couple of years? In addition, I wish I'd counted the number of times I've heard this year already about a qb who really struggled in his 1st year as a starter but is having a fine season the year after (the Texas qb is one). Coach Chiz turned us around in 09, took us the NC in 10, & has recruited lights out (including the current recruiting class which some people seem ready to let go). Absolutely he deserves a chance to build on the foundation he has laid. Absolutely.

And some comments for those who've advocated hiring Petrino.... There are 3 things that are crystal clear about Petrino's career: (1) He's an offensive genius. (2) He's a snake in the grass (note: he's burned bridges everywhere he's been, including Auburn). (3) Big write up in the Memphis paper this week about laying Arky's disaster at his feet, though not b/c of mistress-gate. Rather, he clearly failed to recruit quality athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Not only do I believe Dye is right that he will never be hired at Auburn, I can't imagine why we--or anyone else--would want him.

this is the problem with AU. We have a coach that put us on probation having a voice on what goes on at Auburn. If people don't see a problem with that, then AU will never be more than middle of the road program.

Do you really think Auburn is a middle of the road program? You have said it twice in a couple of days. Do you know the Eric Ramsey story why AU wound up on probation?

He is sayin we are not gonna blow the money to scrap Chiz next year.

I hate it but money is tight when your a looser.

Chiz is a good man... and prob. a good coach at a different level.

If Arkansas beats us, there's little chance we'll be right at 500 or under. And in my opinion, Chizik should not get another year. He's had 4 already and he's signed 3 top 15 classes and yet we don't have much (if anything) to show for it.

still NEVER IN... at least you are consistent in your LACK of support for all things Auburn.

this is the problem with AU. We have a coach that put us on probation having a voice on what goes on at Auburn. If people don't see a problem with that, then AU will never be more than middle of the road program.

Do you know the Eric Ramsey story why AU wound up on probation

Do you? Care to share it with us?

Oh just one BCS National Championship The tigers will beat the hogs and some of this nonsense will be snuffed out. Lots of football left in this season chicken littles. War Chiz and WDE!

I know that nobody knows the real truth except Ramsey and the coaches he dealt with. No way is Dye going to admit any wrong doing. My point, and in case you missed it, is way does a coach get a say when the program was put on NCAA sanctions! Isn't that in and of itself, a clear message that he should not have a say? He resigned because of this.

Dye's tenure on the plains ended when Auburn was penalized for payments by boosters and assistant coaches to a player, Eric Ramsey. Tape recordings were released that implicated a booster named "Corky" Frost, and present Troy University head coach Larry Blakeney. The controversy landed the Auburn program a spot on 60 Minutes and an eventual NCAA investigation. The investigation personally implicated Dye for rules violations, [NCAA Constitution 2.1, and Bylaws 12.1.2-(l), 16.12.1.2 and 16.12.2.4] The institution violated the provisions of institutional control in that numerous improper loans were obtained by student-athletes. These loans were made to student-athletes with eligibility remaining on a deferred-payment basis based upon their potential future income as professional athletes. The director of athletics/head football coach and some of the assistant football coaching staff members were aware that student-athletes were applying for loans, but no system was in place to: (1) monitor the propriety of those loans; (2) educate the representative of the institution's athletics interests who, at least one coaching staff member knew, was reviewing the student-athletes' potential loans, or (3) educate the student-athletes who were encouraged to apply for loans when they needed money without receiving any instruction on applicable NCAA legislation. (Dye) The director of athletics/head football coach met with football student-athletes to warn the young men not to sign contracts with sports agents prior to the completion of their NCAA eligibility, and instead, he recommended that they obtain loans if they needed money. (Dye) The head coach referred at least three student-athletes to a "representative of the institution's athletics interests"(booster) at a local bank(Colonial) for the possibility of obtaining a loan. He knew it was a violation of NCAA legislation for student-athletes to obtain loans based upon their payback potential as professional athletes. The NCAA also determined that as head coach and athletic director, Dye should have known about and stopped the payments to Ramsey. The fallout from the NCAA probation against the football team pushed Dye out as athletic director in 1991 and as head coach the following year.

Hard to disagree with you...

Some of you are quite humorous. I've said this before and I will keep on saying it because some of you just don't seem to grasp it......

Pat Dye has done more for AUBURN UNIVERSITY than any of you out there. HE has EARNED the right to be where he is and to say what he says. HE will decide when to step back to the lake and woods. Period! Nuff said!

Again, we can't afford to be on the losing side on the field, and in 'crutin.

Of course the hypothetical lunacy of losing all the remaining games could result in termination of the entire staff. But thats just as silly as someone thinking CPD should be shunned by Auburn because his coaches were aware of payments to a single player, and some of his athletes obtained legal (but as defined by the NCAA, a violation) personal loans.

I think he is right about Petrino but wrong about Chizik. If he loses the rest of the games no way they keep him.

Agee 100%, but we will win at least one more game so...

How many times have the refrains been used here, ' next year', ' in 2 years', 'rebuilding', 'we are young'? How many of the top 5 team use those excuses???

Some of you are quite humorous. I've said this before and I will keep on saying it because some of you just don't seem to grasp it......

Pat Dye has done more for AUBURN UNIVERSITY than any of you out there. HE has EARNED the right to be where he is and to say what he says. HE will decide when to step back to the lake and woods. Period! Nuff said!

You have earned my "Yes Sir!" of the day.

Im not happy with Chiz. Im not happy at all. But Dye deserves my respect. If thats what he says, well do it. Now that whole "wouldn't trade him for 10 Sabans" thing.... he was drunk. stiil love and respect him.

How many times have the refrains been used here, ' next year', ' in 2 years', 'rebuilding', 'we are young'? How many of the top 5 team use those excuses???

IMHO, those terms are used by the most positive of fans for middle of the pack teams. You do hear "next year" from fans of good/great teams though. I'll just say it(and I really hate to), Auburn is not an elite program. Auburn is capable of great things but it will usually be a one year type of thing. I doubt Auburn will ever be good enough to contend 2 or 3 years in a row.

Auburn has things working against it. The most prevalent is bama. I'm not talking about recruiting or on field play. I'm talking about those associated with bama that start rumors, do underhanded things, and just try to undermine everything Auburn. Auburn associated people don't usually do those things. That is until they have had enough. The only time AU can prosper is when bama is out of the way(read: major probation). The second thing is that Auburn fans are more accepting. Don't get me wrong, Auburn wants to win but when Auburn doesn't win it's ok. Auburn fans typically have other things that fill the void and take it less personal(As in "I love Auburn for Auburn, not football"). The result is that Auburn coaches have more opportunity to screw up or be mediocre. Auburn fans simply don't demand excellence. Don't get pissed, it's what makes the Auburn fan base one of the greatest in college football.

As far as Chizik being on the hot seat. I think it is silly. Next year will be the determining factor. I think his seat should be really hot next year. The late coordinator hires really hurt Auburn's chances of succeeding this year. I expect Auburn to be leaps and bounds better than they are now.

In the end, it is what it is. Anybody that has been an AU fan long enough will have had their heart ripped out at one time or another(2003 is a prime example). Everyone thinks AU will be awesome and they go out and flop. This results in people being more careful on picking AU in subsequent years. Auburn is as much to blame as Corso, Herbsteit, May, Holtz, and any other media type picking against AU. I never see AU beating teams by extraordinary amounts. Auburn's best years tend to end up with Auburn beating teams by 3, 7, maybe 10 if we are lucky(and having to fight to do it). If we as fans can't accept that then we are pulling for the wrong team. If we won't demand excellence then we really can't expect it.

SUMMATION: Snakes and bama are alike in that the only safe one is a dead one. If we as fans want excellence, we must demand it. Chizik should be safe this year but coaches on the hot seat seem to coach better. Auburn will always be Auburn, accept and embrace it because it is what it always has been.

This should not even be and issue and will not be an issue. This team is the vertical pass away from being very good. It is only 3 losses and we have a lot of season left to go. I think this team turns it around with Chizik leading the way. We shall laugh at even having to defend him in about 3 months!

This should not even be and issue and will not be an issue. This team is the vertical pass away from being very good. It is only 3 losses and we have a lot of season left to go. I think this team turns it around with Chizik leading the way. We shall laugh at even having to defend him in about 3 months!

"Only 3 losses" "Just a vertical pass away?" funny how that seems to be the only pass we can make.

NO.... We are in a bad way. never seen nothing like it at AU.

Archived