Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

I think Gus could win 8 games a year. We would continue to lose to Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and some other team but if everyone is happy with 8 wins then lets hire him now! Does 8 wins make everyone happy?

EXACTLY!!! If Auburn is ok with New Years Eve Bowl appearences... Gus is your man. I mean, once every 3 to 4 years he might sneak up beat a Georgia or TAMU 49-45. We will be battling the Mississippi schools for 5th in the West.

You can't just declare that's what his record would be as a fact and then use the just-invented fact as an argument.

If we hire Charlie Weiss then everyone will have to wear socks on their hands and won't be able to hold their drinks. Is that what you want? For Auburn fans to not be able to hold drinks???? See, it's bs.

Not saying it is fact.... BUT... the FACT is we need an experienced coach who can come in and turn this ship around. Gus would be a decent hire if we weren't in such a cluster f@#%. It is a must that we get someone who has proven himself by rebuilding a program. Someone who has done more with less. Someone who has won as head coach at a big-time program.

No, we need a coach who can come in and turn this ship around. Why would a proven winner at a big time program leave his winning program to go do it again somewhere else? It is a must that we identify a coach who has his s*** together and can grab this program by the scruff of it's neck and shove it in the right direction. That man may be an assistant, a young head coach or a retread who finally gets it. How do you think Bill Belichick was received in New England fresh off a 33-44 record in Cleveland? He had 1 winning year with the Browns. 1. You and I are not in the interview room, we do not know how Malzahn prepares and we didnt know how Chiz prepared. We don't know what we need to know to make decisions. We can sit here and talk to other fans about what we THINK or what direction we would like to go but we are just fans. No one is right and no one is wrong, we are talking about what we think.

You think we need an experienced head coach, that's cool. I think that would be nice but if the people making millions at Auburn do their jobs, they will identify the right man and hire him. That's it. I can't tell you how Malzahn, Petrino, Fisher or Strong will do here, if I could I wouldn't be on a message board right now I'd be lighting a cigar with a stack of hundreds in Vegas.

Auburn could get who ever wants to get paid... Money talks. Why not try for the best?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone please give me a list of all these proven winners who have turned around a big time program...or more specifically, a list of such people who would be willing to coach at Auburn...

Here's the list: Bobby Petrino

That's really the only coach out there who fits the bill, isn't it?

I think Gus could win 8 games a year. We would continue to lose to Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and some other team but if everyone is happy with 8 wins then lets hire him now! Does 8 wins make everyone happy?

EXACTLY!!! If Auburn is ok with New Years Eve Bowl appearences... Gus is your man. I mean, once every 3 to 4 years he might sneak up beat a Georgia or TAMU 49-45. We will be battling the Mississippi schools for 5th in the West.

You can't just declare that's what his record would be as a fact and then use the just-invented fact as an argument.

If we hire Charlie Weiss then everyone will have to wear socks on their hands and won't be able to hold their drinks. Is that what you want? For Auburn fans to not be able to hold drinks???? See, it's bs.

Not saying it is fact.... BUT... the FACT is we need an experienced coach who can come in and turn this ship around. Gus would be a decent hire if we weren't in such a cluster f@#%. It is a must that we get someone who has proven himself by rebuilding a program. Someone who has done more with less. Someone who has won as head coach at a big-time program.

No, we need a coach who can come in and turn this ship around. Why would a proven winner at a big time program leave his winning program to go do it again somewhere else? It is a must that we identify a coach who has his s*** together and can grab this program by the scruff of it's neck and shove it in the right direction. That man may be an assistant, a young head coach or a retread who finally gets it. How do you think Bill Belichick was received in New England fresh off a 33-44 record in Cleveland? He had 1 winning year with the Browns. 1. You and I are not in the interview room, we do not know how Malzahn prepares and we didnt know how Chiz prepared. We don't know what we need to know to make decisions. We can sit here and talk to other fans about what we THINK or what direction we would like to go but we are just fans. No one is right and no one is wrong, we are talking about what we think.

You think we need an experienced head coach, that's cool. I think that would be nice but if the people making millions at Auburn do their jobs, they will identify the right man and hire him. That's it. I can't tell you how Malzahn, Petrino, Fisher or Strong will do here, if I could I wouldn't be on a message board right now I'd be lighting a cigar with a stack of hundreds in Vegas.

Auburn could get who ever wants to get paid... Money talks. Why not try for the best?

Totally agree, we can and should get the best. You and I cannot define or identify who is best.

In his first year at a school with previous regime's players ole Gus has Arky State at #18 in the country in yards per game at 479. We were a charming 118th with 305. Ark St checked in at # 67 in total defense compared with our #82. Gus's 1st year vs Gene's 4th.

Can Gus plan, control and better a program over a several year span? Don't know.

CGC has been here for 4 years & CGM for 3 years. That means we should have a senior/junior leading our offense with some capable underclassmen backing up. So who do we have?

That is the biggest indictment for Malzahn's recruiting and QB development. This is our biggest weakness that cost us at least 3-4 wins this year.

Please do not say KF in Malzahn's system is the solution. If you only have 1 possible solution to our biggest problem then it was poor development/foresight by CGM.

Lets look at it this way:

For those who want Gus, how do you feel about Charlie Stronge, Kirby Smart, or Jimbo Fisher?

* Gus is loved because he was a good OC at Auburn - Led team to NC / 1 year HC experience

* Charlie Strong has had success at Louisville - Led Florida to 2 NC's as a DC / 3 years HC experience

* Kirby Smart is arguably the best DC in the nation - Led alabama to 2-3? NC's / No HC experience

* Jimbo has FSU in the ACC Championship game - Led LSU to NC as OC / 3 years HC experience

Jimbo, Strong, and even Smart would be better hires... Let's not settle for Gus.

CGC has been here for 4 years & CGM for 3 years. That means we should have a senior/junior leading our offense with some capable underclassmen backing up. So who do we have?

That is the biggest indictment for Malzahn's recruiting and QB development. This is our biggest weakness that cost us at least 3-4 wins this year.

Please do not say KF in Malzahn's system is the solution. If you only have 1 possible solution to our biggest problem then it was poor development/foresight by CGM.

That's what many think though...Mix Gus and KF together and wha la...magic. lol.

I don't know if Gus is the answer but he may do very well. I think a lot of us just want someone who is very proven as a HC and that's understandable considering what we've all endured this year. We all know Gus is a hell of an offensive coach. His offense style isn't my cup of tea but it works.

I don't know if Gus is the answer but he may do very well. I think a lot of us just want someone who is very proven as a HC and that's understandable considering what we've all endured this year. We all know Gus is a hell of an offensive coach. His offense style isn't my cup of tea but it works.

No!!!! Not Gus!

We want a proven winner as a HC, not an OC with 1 year of HC experience at east south central Arkansas State high school.

For the love of God, we just need to empty the coffers and buy whatever coach is the best out there. If the best doesn't fit in with our meddling powers that be, then change the powers that be. Nobody likes them anyway.

You have to admit, Frazier didn't get sacked on every play in Malzahn's system. He was able to run too.

I can't defend his passing in either system, lol. Gus would be a def improvement, but I still want a coach with experience

No!!!! Not Gus!

We want a proven winner as a HC, not an OC with 1 year of HC experience at east south central Arkansas State high school.

For the love of God, we just need to empty the coffers and buy whatever coach is the best out there. If the best doesn't fit in with our meddling powers that be, then change the powers that be. Nobody likes them anyway.

Whoa! I don't want Gus either and didnt mean to imply otherwise

Why is everyone so down on Malzhan? Personally, I'm a huge fan of Malzhan, for a number of reasons. We all know he's dedicated, and generally a student of the game and the players respect him because of it. I remember watching a few Auburn Everyday videos on him where numerous players said he was an intense guy, that, unlike chizik, acted as more of a mentor than a friend. Needless to say, the players respect him and trust his judgement because he is such a dedicated and intelligent man. Personally, I think he will turn out to be a "franchise" coach who will end up staying with a school as a head coach for many, many years.

That's not to mention that the majority of the offensive players (if not all) were recruited to run his offense, so why not let them play in it?

No!!!! Not Gus!

Whoa! I don't want Gus either and didnt mean to imply otherwise

I'm not the expert on this kind of thing at all, but I hate the idea that rich people are able to influence football programs. Go donate your money to real problems and let the university handle amateur sports

For those who want Gus, how do you feel about Charlie Stronge, Kirby Smart, or Jimbo Fisher?

* Gus is loved because he was a good OC at Auburn - Led team to NC / 1 year HC experience

* Charlie Strong has had success at Louisville - Led Florida to 2 NC's as a DC / 3 years HC experience

* Kirby Smart is arguably the best DC in the nation - Led alabama to 2-3? NC's / No HC experience

* Jimbo has FSU in the ACC Championship game - Led LSU to NC as OC / 3 years HC experience

Jimbo, Strong, and even Smart would be better hires... Let's not settle for Gus.

1. Strong 2. Jimbo 3. BP...don't like it but can't deny he could def. turn things around in a hurry. Like Gus...I think Smart is a gamble b/c it's no secret that Saban expects coaches and players to do things his way or they will be gone. How much of the Bama D is Saban or Smart? Wasn't Dooley with Saban? UT fans want nothing to do with Smart. Like Gus benefited from Cam...It is questionable if Smart benefits heavily from Saban a D guru.

Like Gus...I would feel more better if Smart and Gus had more HC or Coordinator experience from a major school like a Kentucky or Illnois...a team of that caliber and lead them to a 7 or 8 win season after years of them struggling. That would tell me they could recruit and develop good talent at a middle tier school that has struggled for years.

My point with Malzahn is this: he is inexperienced and ill-prepared for this job at this time. I thought he did a good job with Todd. He had an undefeated team with Cam and he deserves his share of the credit for that, but we are talking about the best college football player I've ever seen. He would make a lot of oc's look better than they are. My point in that regard is when Cam was at Auburn, he never dominated through the air. His rookie season he dominated passing. I think it begs the question "why did we never see that at Auburn?". Was it because we didn't need it? About half our games were in doubt in the 2nd half, we didn't really steamroll many. I think it's something to think about. I don't hate Malzahn, I just don't think he's ready for this.

Cam passed for over 200 yards in 8 games in 2010. He passed for 30 TD's. Really don't understand how anyone can not be excited about the possibility of Malzahn coming back. His offense has been extremely successful everywhere he has been. He is about to win the Sun Belt conference in his first season has a a HC. He is a Chip Kelly-like perfectionist who could potentially be a HR hire. Every hire has pros and cons. To me, Malzahn has a ton of upside. Just don't get the reservation of some folks.

Only if CGM brings in a good QB coach as he hasn't shown that he develops QBs. You need a good QB to run his system that can throw and run....he simply hasn't developed one....If you think other wise exhibit a) Trotter b)Moseley c)to a lesser extent KF this year...

Dyer screwed up so many times at Auburn, and he kept getting chance after chance after chance after chance after chance....and yet Gus was willing to take a chance on him to make a splash. Not what we need at AU again.

My point with Malzahn is this: he is inexperienced and ill-prepared for this job at this time. I thought he did a good job with Todd. He had an undefeated team with Cam and he deserves his share of the credit for that, but we are talking about the best college football player I've ever seen. He would make a lot of oc's look better than they are. My point in that regard is when Cam was at Auburn, he never dominated through the air. His rookie season he dominated passing. I think it begs the question "why did we never see that at Auburn?". Was it because we didn't need it? About half our games were in doubt in the 2nd half, we didn't really steamroll many. I think it's something to think about. I don't hate Malzahn, I just don't think he's ready for this.

Cam passed for over 200 yards in 8 games in 2010. He passed for 30 TD's. Really don't understand how anyone can not be excited about the possibility of Malzahn coming back. His offense has been extremely successful everywhere he has been. He is about to win the Sun Belt conference in his first season has a a HC. He is a Chip Kelly-like perfectionist who could potentially be a HR hire. Every hire has pros and cons. To me, Malzahn has a ton of upside. Just don't get the reservation of some folks.

Only if CGM brings in a good QB coach as he hasn't shown that he develops QBs. You need a good QB to run his system that can throw and run....he simply hasn't developed one....If you think other wise exhibit a) Trotter b)Moseley c)to a lesser extent KF this year...

Dyer screwed up so many times at Auburn, and he kept getting chance after chance after chance after chance after chance....and yet Gus was willing to take a chance on him to make a splash. Not what we need at AU again.

Maybe he thought he would come in more humble. Plus he was closer to home. Notice how he was given chance after chance with Malzhan. Anyone who thinks players didn't respect Malzhan don't know at they are talking about.

If you want to compete with Saban, you need to understand what he is, and what Chizik was.

Saban: micromanager, strong recruiter and strong disciplinarian with a great mind defensive side of football.

Chizik: micromanager, strong recruiter (through assistants), inconsistent disciplinarian, lacking a great mind for either side of the ball.

And for good measure...

Miles: delegating manager, strong recruiter, somewhat consistent disciplinarian, lacking a great mind for either side of the ball.

Petrino: micromanager, weak recruiter, strong disciplinarian, with a great mind for the offensive side of the ball.

I want a coach with a great mind for one side of the ball or the other. I don't care if he micromanages or delegates, as long as he enforces discipline and recruits well. Richt has had discipline issues, and is a delegater, but he is a strong offensive coach and strong recruiter, and has a shot at a national title. Meyer is strong across the board, and has proven his greatness with an undefeated season to go with his two BCS titles.

I'm confident in Malzahn's tactical ability, and I think he can recruit well once again for Auburn...my only concern is if he can maintain discipline among the team...because they obviously need discipline and structure more than anything else at this point...

1. Strong 2. Jimbo 3. BP...don't like it but can't deny he could def. turn things around in a hurry. Like Gus...I think Smart is a gamble b/c it's no secret that Saban expects coaches and players to do things his way or they will be gone. How much of the Bama D is Saban or Smart? Wasn't Dooley with Saban? UT fans want nothing to do with Smart. Like Gus benefited from Cam...It is questionable if Smart benefits heavily from Saban a D guru.

Like Gus...I would feel more better if Smart and Gus had more HC or Coordinator experience from a major school like a Kentucky or Illnois...a team of that caliber and lead them to a 7 or 8 win season after years of them struggling. That would tell me they could recruit and develop good talent at a middle tier school that has struggled for years.

Great points... I agree whole heartedly. My point is Gus is WAY down the list. AU should not settle for the safe hire, because the "safe" hire is the biggest gamble.

My list: * BP

* Jimbo

* Strong

Wasn't Gus' dream job Arkansas? With it being open, wouldn't he take it over Auburn?

Arkansas is shooting bigger. Petersen, Patterson, Gundy

Is Auburn not the bigger job?

I would stay away from Boise coaches...see Hawkins and Koetter, they both left Boise and flamed out. Not to say Petersen would do the same, just historically their coaches have failed when hired at BCS schools. As for Gundy, does he even prepare his team defensively...Patterson, I can see...

Hawkins left and people realized who the true brains were when Peterson took over. Peterson is the best coach in the country, and we'd be fools not to try and hire him.

Could that some logic be applied to Chizik and Malzahn???

Maybe so. It's too early to tell, unlike Peterson which has proved himself for years now.

A fly in the ointment????

Cass Sheridan@cass_sheridan

Rumor has it Guz Malzahn to be hired at Arkansas this week sometime...

That is by far the best fit for him and a solid hire for Arkansas if true. The SEC west will be that much stronger with him there. Damn.

Archived