The word on the Search

ellitor

If we did go the direction of smart what would we do with to offense? ... could that be chad morris

Would be awfully convenient... I wouldn't be opposed!

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you hire Smart, he has to be comfortable that his offense fits with his defense. When we hired Franklin as OC, he was very clear that you have to be a no huddle team, all the way from recruiting to conditioning. If Smart's gonna run a 3-4 with huge people, he'll probably appreciate them having a chance to rest. JMO.

Well as much as we love to hate him..Boom is doing a decent turnaround at Florida..and he was "just" a Defensive Corrdinator 2 years ago. Food for thought.

Yes and it was his defense. ...with smart we just don't know bc saban calls the shots... you all should know this

Not as much as people think.

E, any news on this from Rivals:

So anyone out there with any scoop on the Rivals story by Jay Tate.

Tate claims Gus stock up, Petrino stock down.

Don't shoot me know, this is what Tate is saying, I am just trying to find out more.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Slowly warming up to the idea of K. Smart being our next head coach our defense needs a facelift and im sure he would see to that. And we have got some huge D prospects lined up they will feel very comfortable with there commitment with him at the helm.

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Thanks. Any word on the Patterson to Auburn as HC rumor?

Still thinks he gets an extension and stays with TCU.

If we did go the direction of smart what would we do with to offense? ... could that be chad morris

I beleive Mike Bobo would be our offensive coor. He and Smart are supposedly very tight and roomed together at UGA

The last 11 national championships have gone to head coaches who had previously head coaching experience. In the 21 years of the SEC Championship game coaches with previous head coaching experience have won the game 16 times.

There is just a lot less risk with a proven head coach.

Whoa whoa, facts and common sense are not allowed here.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Slowly warming up to the idea of K. Smart being our next head coach our defense needs a facelift and im sure he would see to that. And we have got some huge D prospects lined up they will feel very comfortable with there commitment with him at the helm.

It's all starting to make some sense... Coming full circle! Let's go Bo, Pat, and Mac!

The last 11 national championships have gone to head coaches who had previously head coaching experience. In the 21 years of the SEC Championship game coaches with previous head coaching experience have won the game 16 times.

That rules out Smart!

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Come on man don't say that!LOL

If we go with a DC or OC we need to go with Smart. He is young, has been a good understudy of Saban's for years, recruits well, has developed players, etc. I also think on the recruiting trail he will be very convincing being able to sell what Auburn has to offer versus bama. The media might be a little less bold slinging BS at Auburn given they would be messing with his job and might not want to open Pandora's box.

Paterson has been at it for 15 years. If he was such a hot shot Texas A&M would not have passed on him TWICE.

UPDATE

That absolutely sucks.

I beleive Mike Bobo would be our offensive coor. He and Smart are supposedly very tight and roomed together at UGA

I like Bobo... but, he is a UGA guy. I'm not so sure he would leave UGA for the same position at AU. Though, I really like that idea, none the less.

Interesting.

Well as much as we love to hate him..Boom is doing a decent turnaround at Florida..and he was "just" a Defensive Corrdinator 2 years ago. Food for thought.

Yes and it was his defense. ...with smart we just don't know bc saban calls the shots... you all should know this

Not as much as people think.

E, any news on this from Rivals:

So anyone out there with any scoop on the Rivals story by Jay Tate.

Tate claims Gus stock up, Petrino stock down.

Don't shoot me know, this is what Tate is saying, I am just trying to find out more.

While not explicitly saying Petrino's stock was going down I have been implying it the past 3 days in my posts. But then it was JMO from reading the tea leaves.

UPDATE

That absolutely sucks.

Yep!

I've been arguing the opposite with other facts, and I think I'm right, but this is a terrific point.

But let's look at the first coach to win the SECCG and a national championship. I bet Bama fans were incensed when they heard Gene Stallings, a failure as a head coach, was gonna be hired.

your facts are wrong. 3 of the first 4 BCS National Championships went to guys in their first and only HC gigs. Phillip Fulmer, Bob Stoops, and Larry Coker. Some assistant coaches only take one gig and thats all they ever need. anyone who comes here with a popular name in the coaching world will be successful, unless they're completely idiotic in their approach.

If we hire Smart, why don't we just change our colors to red and white and build our own saban statue. Talk about a little brother complex.

Dye was a Bama assistant before coming to Auburn and that turned out well...Allbeit 2 jobs removed.

I like Bobo... but, he is a UGA guy. I'm not so sure he would leave UGA for the same position at AU. Though, I really like that idea, none the less.

Well if it is Smart I guess what the bammers say about Dye calling the shots down there would be true wouldn't it? If Auburn hires Smart and Bobo I am done.

Haha! Why would anyone get behind the MOST unproven candidate behind Morris. I think the news of him being interviewed has gotten everyone so paranoid that we will except anyone above him at this point. Which is I'm sure what the PTB want. I'm still holding out hope that that the new will be someone that has a proven track record as a head coach. Unfortunately my gut is saying we will do the typical Auburn thing: hire a coach that is just happy to land the job and will be willing to have the higher ups meddle in the program. Then we will be doing this again in 4 years.

Well if it is Smart I guess what the bammers say about Dye calling the shots down there would be true wouldn't it? If Auburn hires Smart and Bobo I am done.

I think that'd be a solid combo.

One of Bama's assistants will come in as DC. Most likely Lance Thompson. IF we hire Smart.

Another possible candidate would be Sal Sunseri considering hes looking for work and knows smarts system

Archived