2013 4* WR Derrick Griffin (Miami signee)

jwmboom7

Heck with it, just oversign and let the "softie" attrition begin. Get it right in August. Any new word on the Griffin situation ?

Still waiting to hear from him.

He should have been signed by now.

Not necesarily. Auburn and Griffin are weighing their options.

I know.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck with it, just oversign and let the "softie" attrition begin. Get it right in August. Any new word on the Griffin situation ?

Most schools "oversign" every year. If you don't you won't have enough warm bodies come fall. Normal attrition is around nine per year, with most of that coming between the end of spring practice and mid-June. While there's no way to know the exact number that will drop out, the coaches have a good enough idea that they can hit within one or two slots. A coaching change increases attrition to above the normal levels.

Remember, signees don't start counting against the 85 limit when they sign, they don't count until they enroll in school and actually start attending classes. Otherwise, a school couldn't sign a full class until after the seniors had graduated.

Also, this makes the popular March game of "next year we'll only be able to sign 18" an exercise in folly. Nearly everybody that plays that game forgets to account for the normal attrition of 7 to 9 guys. With normal situations and balanced classes, a school can usually sign close to 25 every year.

Oh I know Mikey and I agree with everything you just said. I was actually serious when I said oversign and work it out later.

I agree with you. Unlike many here, I look forward to the day when we are deep enough that a few under-performers get processed every year.

I agree with the two of you as well.

wde

guys who appear to be working hard, but just cant crack the lineup for any substantial amount of plays (jamar travis & blake eddins for example) ... i dont want to run them off.

guys who do not work and also underperform their abilities (i will let folks use their own opinion of who could be here) ... buh-bye to them!!!

edit: the situation seems right for auburn and griffin to take a chance on one another. i think we sign a full class next year regardless and will be at the max 85. i dont mind a little forced attrition due to extreme requirements for kids who cant seem to fulfill their potential. either they will do the work that their scholarship is based on, or they forfeit it to someone who will do the work.

guys who appear to be working hard, but just cant crack the lineup for any substantial amount of plays (jamar travis & blake eddins for example) ... i dont want to run them off.

guys who do not work and also underperform their abilities (i will let folks use their own opinion of who could be here) ... buh-bye to them!!!

"You are the Weakest Link!" "Goodbye!" :byebye:

dang! you caught me before my edit!

dang! you caught me before my edit!

Lol!

There's a snag somewhere. He was expected to make a decision last week between signing with AU now or picking a prep school or JUCO. A & M won't take him now, it's my understanding they are full. The Aggies would like him to go the prep route and if qualified, enroll with them in January.

Some commentators think he'd rather do that than come as far away from home as Auburn. But then, my info comes from Aggie friends. Even though they are known to be truthful sorts, they are also Texans so the truth may not be all that familiar to them.

The word I am hearing from the Aggie side is they are expecting him to go JUCO as well. That is what the 'insiders' are saying anyways.

It seems to me the kid really wants to be an Aggie and if he can go JUCO and enroll in January he'll probably be ecstatic about that.

I would love to see him on the Plains though but only if his heart is really in it.

There's a big difference between JUCO and prep school. If a kid is borderline he may be able to qualify after a fall at prep school and enroll the next January.

If grades are a bigger problem, he will have to go the JUCO route and that usually requires completing two years of junior college classwork.

Isn't he scheduled to pick between Auburn and Texas A&M on the 19th?

No. That was never said. He can't even pick TAMU right now anyway because TAMU never sent him an NLI to sign. The hold up is Auburn is waiting on the ACT score from the test Derrick took a week and a half ago and how he is progressing this semester in school. It could be a while now.

E, when is the last day that we can sign him?

There really is no last day. The signing period for NLIs ends on April 1 but he can enroll at anytime after he is cleared by the NCAA.

No. That was never said. He can't even pick TAMU right now anyway because TAMU never sent him an NLI to sign. The hold up is Auburn is waiting on the ACT score from the test Derrick took a week and a half ago and how he is progressing this semester in school. It could be a while now.

They would take Toby Johnson's LOI,hoping he qualifies, but not Griffin's? Just great.

They would take Toby Johnson's LOI,hoping he qualifies, but not Griffin's? Just great.

It's possible Griffin has a lot more ground to make up than Toby. Only the coaches know.

Archived