2013 4* WR Derrick Griffin (Miami signee)

jwmboom7

Article addressing Griffin, Elder and Toby still being recruited.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/auburn_still_in_the_mix_for_se.html

Quotes from article

took an official visit to Auburn over the weekend.

“They are all nice coaches and nice guys,” Griffin told 247Sports of the Auburn coaching staff. “I like how they used to play the sport there so they came back to coach. They know what they are doing.”

Griffin said one major reason he decided to look at Auburn goes back to the relationship he formed with Auburn signee and Mr. Football winner Jeremy Johnson when the two met at the U.S. Army All-American Game. “It was fun at the All-American game just to get to chill with him and get to know him. He’s a really nice dude,” Griffin said. “I have been texting him. He’s working on me.”

4-star wide receiver Derrick Griffin, a towering 6-foot-7, 210-pound playmaker from Rosenberg, Texas, traveled to Auburn last weekend to take a closer look at the Tigers. Griffin was committed to Texas A&M but didn't ultimately sign on National Signing Day due to concerns about his academics. Griffin told Auburn Undercover that while Texas A&M remains a possibility for him, he wanted to take a closer look at Auburn while he works to get his test scores and grades in order.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article addressing Griffin, Elder and Toby still being recruited.

http://www.al.com/au...mix_for_se.html

Quotes from article

took an official visit to Auburn over the weekend.

“They are all nice coaches and nice guys,” Griffin told 247Sports of the Auburn coaching staff. “I like how they used to play the sport there so they came back to coach. They know what they are doing.”

Griffin said one major reason he decided to look at Auburn goes back to the relationship he formed with Auburn signee and Mr. Football winner Jeremy Johnson when the two met at the U.S. Army All-American Game. “It was fun at the All-American game just to get to chill with him and get to know him. He’s a really nice dude,” Griffin said. “I have been texting him. He’s working on me.”

4-star wide receiver Derrick Griffin, a towering 6-foot-7, 210-pound playmaker from Rosenberg, Texas, traveled to Auburn last weekend to take a closer look at the Tigers. Griffin was committed to Texas A&M but didn't ultimately sign on National Signing Day due to concerns about his academics. Griffin told Auburn Undercover that while Texas A&M remains a possibility for him, he wanted to take a closer look at Auburn while he works to get his test scores and grades in order.

Elder is leaning towards GT, I hope he changes his mind.

IF....... DG signs with AU and he does not qualify, then DG goes JUCO is he still bound to AU or can he sign with another college in a year or two? Just thinking of possible hypothetical situations.

He can sign with anyone.....It all starts over again.

It sounds like he will sign with us and A&M is out.

IF....... DG signs with AU and he does not qualify, then DG goes JUCO is he still bound to AU or can he sign with another college in a year or two? Just thinking of possible hypothetical situations.

He can sign with anyone but Auburn will have a leg up on everyone by showing him they support him by signing him even though he can't get in yet. And by placing him in a juco our staff wants. Provided Malzahn and Craig are still here in 2 years Auburn would be the heavy favorite.

Summing up what I didn't clearly state before:

1. I think Derrick Griffin would be a great addition to our football team.

2. I want Auburn to sign him right now when we can pull him away from the skinhead clutches of Texas A&M.

3. I want that signing to happen even if his grades are shaky, so long as he is within barking distance of qualifying.

4. I want the Athletic Dept/ Gus-whoever-and the school,i.e., the people who decide whether a prospective student athlete qualifies academically, to work together and find a way to let borderline qualifiers sign a LOI and become an Auburn Tiger/"Good guy".

5. Once signed, I want the kid to get whatever academic support he needs to stay academically qualified.

6.I do not want these academic qualifier officials acting as gatekeepers to keep people out rather than helping worthy individuals get a chance at an Auburn education and wear the O&B.

7.Sign Derrick Griffin right now.

Over and out.

And this is not that different from what the Ivy League-caliber schools do for many boarderline qualifying student athletes. A small army of counselors, alumni & hand-holders teach the athlete the lifestyle/practices/accountability/study habits to become an Auburn (Harvard, Yale, etc) (wo)man.

2. I want Auburn to sign him right now when we can pull him away from the skinhead clutches of Texas A&M.

3. I want that signing to happen even if his grades are shaky, so long as he is within barking distance of qualifying.

4. I want the Athletic Dept/ Gus-whoever-and the school,i.e., the people who decide whether a prospective student athlete qualifies academically, to work together and find a way to let borderline qualifiers sign a LOI and become an Auburn Tiger/"Good guy".

5. Once signed, I want the kid to get whatever academic support he needs to stay academically qualified.

6.I do not want these academic qualifier officials acting as gatekeepers to keep people out rather than helping worthy individuals get a chance at an Auburn education and wear the O&B.

Over and out.

And this is not that different from what the Ivy League-caliber schools do for many boarderline qualifying student athletes. A small army of counselors, alumni & hand-holders teach the athlete the lifestyle/practices/accountability/study habits to become an Auburn (Harvard, Yale, etc) (wo)man.

Let's hope it happens just like that.

As ellitor said, Auburn would have a leg up but,,,look no farther back than 2012 when we signed Ja'Quay Williams. He went to prep school and became the nation's #1 prep school player, regardless of position. He qualified by January 2013 when he signed with Texas A & M. I suppose one could argue that he dropped Auburn because of the coaching change, but whatever, we didn't get him back here. His scholarship slot was just lost, wasted for nothing.

We also lost Darrion Hutchinson's scholarship slot because he didn't qualify. Chizik's staff was particularly bitter with the compliance office because the football staff had been told that those two were qualifiers. I think AUpops2, upthread, said the guy responsible for those two blunders has been relieved of his duties.

As ellitor said, Auburn would have a leg up but,,,look no farther back than 2012 when we signed Ja'Quay Williams. He went to prep school and became the nation's #1 prep school player, regardless of position. He qualified by January 2013 when he signed with Texas A & M. I suppose one could argue that he dropped Auburn because of the coaching change, but whatever, we didn't get him back here. His scholarship slot was just lost, wasted for nothing.

We also lost Darrion Hutchinson's scholarship slot because he didn't qualify. Chizik's staff was particularly bitter with the compliance office because the football staff had been told that those two were qualifiers. I think AUpops2, upthread, said the guy responsible for those two blunders has been relieved of his duties.

Well, I know that AU has been seeking a new asst AD for compliance (not the senior asst AD for compliance Rich McGlynn) for several months. So that may be true.

Well, I know that AU has been seeking a new asst AD for compliance (not the senior asst AD for compliance Rich McGlynn) for several months. So that may be true.

I say JJ changes to that position and then we just hire a new AD...

We could just send them to Foley. Seems to work well.

that would be counterproductive, wouldn't it? i say we find a feeder school of our own. we already have enough troble, yearly, with flips. let's not hold their hands to do it. :-\

He can sign with anyone but Auburn will have a leg up on everyone by showing him they support him by signing him even though he can't get in yet. And by placing him in a juco our staff wants. Provided Malzahn and Craig are still here in 2 years Auburn would be the heavy favorite.

E, do we have any idea how close he is to qualifying? People are acting like he has no chance. If he qualified this year it would be huge.

E, do we have any idea how close he is to qualifying? People are acting like he has no chance. If he qualified this year it would be huge.

No but by all accounts the chances are low.

It would probably be a good idea to place him at Hutchinson C.C. if possible.

Or Blinn. It's close to home and Gus has good relations there.

Or Blinn. It's close to home and Gus has good relations there.

How could I forget about the place that Cam built.. :dunno:

Over and out. WELL PUT, I'm with you, WDE.

If he's that close to qualifying, he might fit into the prep school window. Then he could take care of business, enroll at Auburn in January of 2014 and we save the scholarship slot. If he's got to go the JUCO route, it means two full academic years worth of classes and if he signs now, the slot is lost.

My experience with watching these academic questions has been that things are normally worse than we are led to believe. Hoping that's not the case here.

If he signs now that's a Top 10 class

11 is so awkward

I do hope that those supporting signing non-qualifiers in order to boost a recruiting class rankings aren't the same folks that criticized Coach Tuberville for signing non-qualifiers. At least back in Tuberville's days at Auburn there was no downside to signing those guys. Under today's rules it hurts the program.

If he signs now that's a Top 10 class

11 is so awkward

I do hope that those supporting signing non-qualifiers in order to boost a recruiting class rankings aren't the same folks that criticized Coach Tuberville for signing non-qualifiers. At least back in Tuberville's days at Auburn there was no downside to signing those guys. Under today's rules it hurts the program.

+1

Hurts is such a strong word Mikey....how about bothers? :poke:/>

Bothers is not appropriate. How does something bother a program? Lets go with "Under current rules, signing non-qualifiers is detrimental to the program."

According to Sportscall radio we don't lose anything if these guys don't qualify since we won't have extra scholarships next year anyway without a ton of attrition..

Archived