2013 4* WR Derrick Griffin (Miami signee)

jwmboom7

E, did he not commit to ta&m at one of the all-star games? Seems I remember thinking;"Now that's the size WR we need, kinda like Green-Beckham". Even if we had to sign and place, it would take some sting out of the JaQuay Williams incident, which was completely screwed up by our compliance department.

He has been committed to TAMU but they used all their slots in their signing class. They can't sign him.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite being challenged for providing detailed, private information, I don't know his SAT score. But if he's now on the honor roll he's gotta be a bright kid who just wasn't focused. He has spring and summer to make up grades, so with a passable SAT I'd say he's in play.

And fall. He can go to prep school and if he qualifies by next January, count back to this class. It would be foolish to say he would be in play with 3 good academic semesters. We do not have access to his grades to know how much ground he had to make up. 3 semesters may not be enough. Also, he took the ACT not the SAT.. I was not referring to his standardized test scores when I said private and detailed. I was referring to the A-B honor role part. 99% of the kids don't talk about their grades to the media with that much detail so next time you come across info that strange please give a link or say where you got it is all I politely ask.

I don't think Auburn would be paying for an OV if there wasn't significant current interest. And, as you say, we have no idea how much ground he has to make up, so to say he's not in play with three good semesters is also conjecture (a better word than foolish). The information I post is always public information, and I'm careful about that. The only inside information I may have about Auburn is about academics and research, and not about athletics.

+++10000000...sick of some speaking their opinion as fact and telling others how/what to post without showing any class.

E, did he not commit to ta&m at one of the all-star games? Seems I remember thinking;"Now that's the size WR we need, kinda like Green-Beckham". Even if we had to sign and place, it would take some sting out of the JaQuay Williams incident, which was completely screwed up by our compliance department.

Then the compliance department ought to be getting up at 5 AM and working out with the new S&C coach. But seriously, if they aren't going to be part of the solution, what good are they?

They were plenty good when the Cam Newton lies surfaced and they had detailed documentation of every phone call, every text, and every visit. Their job is not to help Auburn win games, their job is to keep Auburn out of trouble and since the current compliance staff has been on board we have not had NCAA trouble.

I expect this staff to be a'lot more pro-active with the players. Whether it's helping qualify or keeping them in class. Heck, I believe there should be a ton of accountability, such as position coaches at a minimum should know where each player is at all times.

They tried that last year. Didn't work out so well

Then the compliance department ought to be getting up at 5 AM and working out with the new S&C coach. But seriously, if they aren't going to be part of the solution, what good are they?

They were plenty good when the Cam Newton lies surfaced and they had detailed documentation of every phone call, every text, and every visit. Their job is not to help Auburn win games, their job is to keep Auburn out of trouble and since the current compliance staff has been on board we have not had NCAA trouble.

I guess I was referring to the people who determine whether a high school player qualifies academically. For a player like Griffin, where that might be a close question, I was thinking about what Auburn might do to assist the kid-short of someone changing his transcript. I appreciate the efforts of the people who keep the NCAA satisfied, believe me.

I guess I was referring to the people who determine whether a high school player qualifies academically. For a player like Griffin, where that might be a close question, I was thinking about what Auburn might do to assist the kid-short of someone changing his transcript. I appreciate the efforts of the people who keep the NCAA satisfied, believe me.

Providing academic assistance to a prospective athlete for the purpose of admission would be an extra benefit. It would be deemed as an incentive to attend a particular institution.

I expect this staff to be a'lot more pro-active with the players. Whether it's helping qualify or keeping them in class. Heck, I believe there should be a ton of accountability, such as position coaches at a minimum should know where each player is at all times.

I'm sure there was some type of "Policy" in place, but was it enforced? Were the rules the same for everyone? gAUlf - I respect you and agree 99% of the time, however, saying you are doing something and actually doing are two seperate things. If they are following through, how do things like the Dismukes thing before Clemson (one of several on him), the QB fron KY (can't think of his name) gone before he ever suited up) and "The Four" happen?

I know Gus was here before when some things went on, I wonder though if he had any say-so beyond Trooper and Chizik?

Providing academic assistance to a prospective athlete for the purpose of admission would be an extra benefit. It would be deemed as an incentive to attend a particular institution.

Some of these schools have Guidance Counselors that are totally un-qualified for normal stuff much less keeping up with a kids transcript so that he is eligible for the next level. Schools should be permitted prior to their Sr. year, check a kids transcript and advise him what he has to do. That isnt helping, it's just providing information.

Bama gets away with it using this method of incentives for most of their recruits

I'm sure there was some type of "Policy" in place, but was it enforced? Were the rules the same for everyone? gAUlf - I respect you and agree 99% of the time, however, saying you are doing something and actually doing are two seperate things. If they are following through, how do things like the Dismukes thing before Clemson (one of several on him), the QB fron KY (can't think of his name) gone before he ever suited up) and "The Four" happen?

I know Gus was here before when some things went on, I wonder though if he had any say-so beyond Trooper and Chizik?

I think he's referencing the private security firm that Coach Chizik hired to perform bedchecks on the players last year. That went over like a lead balloon and didn't do any good either.

While I agree that there should be consequences for bad actions, it's impossible to tail 80-some college kids 24-7. At some point they are responsible for their own actions and their own grades. If a player won't do that, we've recruited the wrong guy.

I think he's referencing the private security firm that Coach Chizik hired to perform bedchecks on the players last year. That went over like a lead balloon and didn't do any good either.

While I agree that there should be consequences for bad actions, it's impossible to tail 80-some college kids 24-7. At some point they are responsible for their own actions and their own grades. If a player won't do that, we've recruited the wrong guy.

That same private security firm is employed by Alabama and several other universities for the same purpose as at Auburn. Some of you are underestimating the severity of the behavior of many of these athletes.

\

That same private security firm is employed by Alabama and several other universities for the same purpose as at Auburn. Some of you are underestimating the severity of the behavior of many of these athletes.

Which 95% of the time is security and customer service at sport events and graduations.

Summing up what I didn't clearly state before:

1. I think Derrick Griffin would be a great addition to our football team.

2. I want Auburn to sign him right now when we can pull him away from the skinhead clutches of Texas A&M.

3. I want that signing to happen even if his grades are shaky, so long as he is within barking distance of qualifying.

4. I want the Athletic Dept/ Gus-whoever-and the school,i.e., the people who decide whether a prospective student athlete qualifies academically, to work together and find a way to let borderline qualifiers sign a LOI and become an Auburn Tiger/"Good guy".

5. Once signed, I want the kid to get whatever academic support he needs to stay academically qualified.

6.I do not want these academic qualifier officials acting as gatekeepers to keep people out rather than helping worthy individuals get a chance at an Auburn education and wear the O&B.

7.Sign Derrick Griffin right now.

Over and out.

Summing up what I didn't clearly state before:

1. I think Derrick Griffin would be a great addition to our football team.

2. I want Auburn to sign him right now when we can pull him away from the skinhead clutches of Texas A&M.

3. I want that signing to happen even if his grades are shaky, so long as he is within barking distance of qualifying.

4. I want the Athletic Dept/ Gus-whoever-and the school,i.e., the people who decide whether a prospective student athlete qualifies academically, to work together and find a way to let borderline qualifiers sign a LOI and become an Auburn Tiger/"Good guy".

5. Once signed, I want the kid to get whatever academic support he needs to stay academically qualified.

6.I do not want these academic qualifier officials acting as gatekeepers to keep people out rather than helping worthy individuals get a chance at an Auburn education and wear the O&B.

7.Sign Derrick Griffin right now.

Over and out.

Agree!

IF....... DG signs with AU and he does not qualify, then DG goes JUCO is he still bound to AU or can he sign with another college in a year or two? Just thinking of possible hypothetical situations.

Archived