2013 4* WR Derrick Griffin (Miami signee)

jwmboom7

According to Sportscall radio we don't lose anything if these guys don't qualify since we won't have extra scholarships next year anyway without a ton of attrition..

Yeah but you can expect a good bit of attrition. Basically if the attrition is 13 or under then signing Griffin will not matter.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurts is such a strong word Mikey....how about bothers? :poke:/>

"Under current rules, signing non-qualifiers is detrimental to the program."

with the caveat that it is detrimental if it's in constant use. A rare gem like Griffin is worth the risk.

According to Sportscall radio we don't lose anything if these guys don't qualify since we won't have extra scholarships next year anyway without a ton of attrition..

I think we can count on a lot of attrition. By my count, five have already pulled out since the end of the season and spring practice hasn't even started yet.

I think we can count on a lot of attrition. By my count, five have already pulled out since the end of the season and spring practice hasn't even started yet.

Blakely, Clint, Westy, and who?

Mack, Lemonier and Burgess. I guess that brings it to six so far.

True, I guess I had heard all the names I just didn't realize we "lost" six. Not that that number is astronomical, especially considering the events of the last twelve months.

Who'd a thunk it? :headscratch:

I must have missed Burgess leaving. Why did he leave?

Nope, he's pursuing his education, according to his Dad. Also, you've just seen the beginning of attrition, after Russell and the other staff gets on their arses. Some may be people who saw significant playing time last year. There's a number of narcisstic, soft , immature kids on that roster right now. Some will pull themselves up by the bootstraps, some will go quietly into the night.

According to what I have heard we are sitting at 83 right now. We have 2 open spots.

yes but the number you sign does not relate to the 85 limit til all are enrolled by August so we have 4 spots left at the moment.

Nope, he's pursuing his education, according to his Dad. Also, you've just seen the beginning of attrition, after Russell and the other staff gets on their arses. Some may be people who saw significant playing time last year. There's a number of narcisstic, soft , immature kids on that roster right now. Some will pull themselves up by the bootstraps, some will go quietly into the night.

Spot on as always Pops. I expect Auburn to be able to get close to the 2014 max of 28 or 29.

Heck with it, just oversign and let the "softie" attrition begin. Get it right in August. Any new word on the Griffin situation ?

Still waiting to hear from him.

Heck with it, just oversign and let the "softie" attrition begin. Get it right in August. Any new word on the Griffin situation ?

Most schools "oversign" every year. If you don't you won't have enough warm bodies come fall. Normal attrition is around nine per year, with most of that coming between the end of spring practice and mid-June. While there's no way to know the exact number that will drop out, the coaches have a good enough idea that they can hit within one or two slots. A coaching change increases attrition to above the normal levels.

Remember, signees don't start counting against the 85 limit when they sign, they don't count until they enroll in school and actually start attending classes. Otherwise, a school couldn't sign a full class until after the seniors had graduated.

Also, this makes the popular March game of "next year we'll only be able to sign 18" an exercise in folly. Nearly everybody that plays that game forgets to account for the normal attrition of 7 to 9 guys. With normal situations and balanced classes, a school can usually sign close to 25 every year.

He should have been signed by now.

Why do you say that?

wde

Not necesarily. Auburn and Griffin are weighing their options.

Most schools "oversign" every year. If you don't you won't have enough warm bodies come fall. Normal attrition is around nine per year, with most of that coming between the end of spring practice and mid-June. While there's no way to know the exact number that will drop out, the coaches have a good enough idea that they can hit within one or two slots. A coaching change increases attrition to above the normal levels.

Remember, signees don't start counting against the 85 limit when they sign, they don't count until they enroll in school and actually start attending classes. Otherwise, a school couldn't sign a full class until after the seniors had graduated.

Also, this makes the popular March game of "next year we'll only be able to sign 18" an exercise in folly. Nearly everybody that plays that game forgets to account for the normal attrition of 7 to 9 guys. With normal situations and balanced classes, a school can usually sign close to 25 every year.

Oh I know Mikey and I agree with everything you just said. I was actually serious when I said oversign and work it out later.

Oh I know Mikey and I agree with everything you just said. I was actually serious when I said oversign and work it out later.

I agree with you. Unlike many here, I look forward to the day when we are deep enough that a few under-performers get processed every year.

Archived