Derrick Griffin and Toby Johnson

auburn4ever

The U was charged with lack of institutional control today:

http://msn.foxsports...-by-ncaa-021913

Don't they allow recruits to change their decisions when this happens?

Yeah but I bet they let them skate with already "Self-Imposed" penalties. Donna Shalala? Didn't she used to tote Bill Clinton's water during his many "I didn't do that.." episodes.

Those self -imposed penalties (2 minor bowl appearances, a backed-into ACC championship game and a few scholly reductions) reflect UM's 3 month internal "investigation" and not the major violations across multiple sports (basketball too) even the NCAA couldn't mess up...totally. The state of Florida's version of Nebraska's law (introduced jointly by FSU, UF and UM grads) requiring admin reviews to be open to the public and generally chilling NCAA into looking into anything in the sunshine state, slowed the investigation down yet Shilala & UM are crying it was "too long" (August 2011-Feb 2013).

And yes, although we don't know sanctions yet, the NCAA in many major sanction instances permits players to transfer laterally (UM to AU is a step up of course though) w/out sitting out a year. Corn Elder come on up.

"In the long run, they both will regret not signing with Auburn. Enjoy sitting in your homes and watching the Auburn Tigers start winning more SEC Chamionships and National Championships. "

Pretty childish post, and nothing indicates or guarantees that your prediction will even happen. Sour grapes?

Seriously, look at his post history... move along... nothing to see here.

I certainly don't want to slam the kid or come off like a bammer (we didn't want him anyway), but I feel like Johnson would have been more of an "icing on the cake" guy than a real need at this point. He seems to have grade concerns and he is trying to rehab a pretty severe knee injury. My point is, it doesn't seem that he would have done us much good this fall anyway, and you recruit JCs for immediate help. I think we will be better off in the long run by saving the scholly and going after an elite HS DT next year.

^^^This. I was thinking the same thing and didn't want to come across like a hater. He sounded like good athlete that probably could have contributed something, but I never really saw the intent in signing a JUCO guy with a bum knee. You just don't have the time that you would with a freshman. I look at it as more of "an icing on the cake" kind of deal too. Getting him would have been great, but I dont think losing him effects this D-Line that much, especially in the near future.

At the same time it would have been fun to see what CGM could have done with a 6'6"-6'7" WR!! :-\

Totally agree on Griffin. Really hate we missed out on him. Wish them both the best though.

When they aren't playing us of course.

of course. haha.

I certainly don't want to slam the kid or come off like a bammer (we didn't want him anyway), but I feel like Johnson would have been more of an "icing on the cake" guy than a real need at this point. He seems to have grade concerns and he is trying to rehab a pretty severe knee injury. My point is, it doesn't seem that he would have done us much good this fall anyway, and you recruit JCs for immediate help. I think we will be better off in the long run by saving the scholly and going after an elite HS DT next year.

^^^This. I was thinking the same thing and didn't want to come across like a hater. He sounded like good athlete that probably could have contributed something, but I never really saw the intent in signing a JUCO guy with a bum knee. You just don't have the time that you would with a freshman. I look at it as more of "an icing on the cake" kind of deal too. Getting him would have been great, but I dont think losing him effects this D-Line that much, especially in the near future.

At the same time it would have been fun to see what CGM could have done with a 6'6"-6'7" WR!! :-\

Totally agree on Griffin. Really hate we missed out on him. Wish them both the best though.

When they aren't playing us of course.

of course. haha.

I was just playin'. I knew what you were saying. WDE!

Why does anyone here think these guys might want to switch from Miami? They visited here and for whatever reasons they found Auburn not to their liking and chose Miami, a place neither guy had ever visited. They were aware that something would be coming down on Miami and still signed there.

I won't be holding my breath for either one of them to want out of their Miami deal and if they did it seems that Auburn doesn't suit either guy's tastes. Had they liked it here they wouldn't have signed with a different place they'd never even visited.

Why does anyone here think these guys might want to switch from Miami? They visited here and for whatever reasons they found Auburn not to their liking and chose Miami, a place neither guy had ever visited. They were aware that something would be coming down on Miami and still signed there.

I won't be holding my breath for either one of them to want out of their Miami deal and if they did it seems that Auburn doesn't suit either guy's tastes. Had they liked it here they wouldn't have signed with a different place they'd never even visited.

Agree 100% Mikey. I think AUHEARDOC and I were just sayin' we wish we could have seen DG in a CGM offense. I don't see either switching. They knew that report was coming and what it was going to say. I don't see the U receiving any harsher punishment then they self-imposed, do you?

How anyone can say we don't need a DT who might play this fall is beyond me. We have lots of names at that position, but it's also the single position that stood out as most helpless last year.

Hey, I wanted Griffin in O&B. It blows that he signed elsewhere. But Miami? He and Elder both? With neither having even visited the place or even have it on their radar until the last minute? I'm not saying that Miami cheated, but what are they telling these guys? That they are safe with the NCAA? That they-Griffin and Elder- are really prospects to play ACC basketball? Bunch of lies if you ask me. I don't know about Elder (who cares), but Griffin makes no sense, unless Miami was the only school willing to take his LOI right now. Anyway, I am now happy that 2013 recruiting is over.

Perspective #1: Two individuals preferred other institutions to Auburn, regardless of institutions' current status.

Perspective #2: Three (?) JUCO teammates of one of those individuals preferred Auburn and signed on.

To each his own, but every time someone doesn't choose Auburn doesn't mean it's because of Auburn. Just sayin'. Takes two to tango.

Perspective #1: Two individuals preferred other institutions to Auburn, regardless of institutions' current status.

Perspective #2: Three (?) JUCO teammates of one of those individuals preferred Auburn and signed on.

To each his own, but every time someone doesn't choose Auburn doesn't mean it's because of Auburn. Just sayin'. Takes two to tango.

Well, since Auburn had interest in them and Elder, at least, had a firm offer I'd say it was those prospects that didn't want to dance the Auburn Tango. I think we wanted both of them. They visited here and then signed with a school they had never even visited. If I had to guess, I'd say they were sold a bill of goods about stepping right in and playing on Miami's #2 ranked basketball team, as well as playing football.

As for Miami's NCAA letter, UM president Donna Shalala(SP?) went public today and pretty much told the NCAA to stuff it. She said the self-imposed penalties are all Miami will accept without calling in the lawyers because the NCAA investigators bungled the case. She spelled out in detail a number of their failings. I think the NCAA has to eat this one, and it's about time that arrogant bunch got some comeuppance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since Auburn had interest in them and Elder, at least, had a firm offer I'd say it was those prospects that didn't want to dance the Auburn Tango. I think we wanted both of them. They visited here and then signed with a school they had never even visited. If I had to guess, I'd say they were sold a bill of goods about stepping right in and playing on Miami's #2 ranked basketball team, as well as playing football.

As for Miami's NCAA letter, UM president Donna Shalala(SP?) went public today and pretty much told the NCAA to stuff it. She said the self-imposed penalties are all Miami will accept without calling in the lawyers because the NCAA investigators bungled the case. She spelled out in detail a number of their failings. I think the NCAA has to eat this one, and it's about time that arrogant bunch got some comeuppance.

Auburn is not for every kid - I have no problem with that. As far as the Miami and the NCAA goes, I'd love for the NCAA get a little of their own medicine jammed down their throat.

If Donna Shalala thinks she can intimidate the NCAA like she did the bozos in Washington D.C. she needs to read Jerry Tarkanian's memoirs. It's tough to top NCAA arrogance & stupidity but if anybody can do it it's Shalala. Miami's self-imposed sanctions were based on it's own 6 month internal investigation that wrapped up and self -imposed before many of the major infractions had even come to light. If she and the candycanes want to call into question whistleblower shapiro's credibility they should not have required specific UM players to pay back specific amounts for specific infractions that were based SOLELY on shapiro's testimony. I mean how stupid can she be.

If Donna Shalala thinks she can intimidate the NCAA like she did the bozos in Washington D.C. she needs to read Jerry Tarkanian's memoirs. It's tough to top NCAA arrogance & stupidity but if anybody can do it it's Shalala. Miami's self-imposed sanctions were based on it's own 6 month internal investigation that wrapped up and self -imposed before many of the major infractions had even come to light. If she and the candycanes want to call into question whistleblower shapiro's credibility they should not have required specific UM players to pay back specific amounts for specific infractions that were based SOLELY on shapiro's testimony. I mean how stupid can she be.

Evidently.....VERY! Although it looks like they are going to dodge this bullet, this will spell even more trouble down the road. They already have a bad rep and not because of "False Accusations" as they would love for us all to think. But because they have a good size chunk of their fanbase that believes they don't have to follow the rules simply because they are "The Yew!" They are not nearly as protected as the REC.

Archived