2014 4* S Cortez McDowell (Tennessee signee)

ellitor

Don't blame the kid for looking but glad ill be in Knoxville for the AU game this year. Ready to squash the Tennessee hype that started when BJones took the job. Must say its took alot of attention off of us and that to me is a good thing. Probably why Barnhart and others keep calling us a dark horse on every show he's on

I'll be right there with you. I'm from Knoxville (and am actually there "working" right now) and so a bunch of friends and I are going to take a road trip for the game.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to get off topic but I kinda laugh when I hear everybody blowing up Tennessee and where their program is going. My older bro is a cop in Irondale and got on helping UT when Fulmer was thr. Since then he is a UT nut. I hope we blank them up keep the streak on Tenn going. I like the school but come on, Butch Jones was a bandaid. And almost a last choice hire. I just don't see the hype besides a huge stadium and alot of light orange

UT is selling him and a 2015 recruit a lot of smoke. The 2015 recruit talks to me daily about it. I do think UT and OSU lead for Cortez. Urban has pushed pretty hard, and Thigpen is on him for UT. At one point FSU was a strong lean, but I figured that cooled some once Craig left.

Well looks like BCW did not have the affect we hoped or thought on McDowell. Free excerpt

TWO STAND OUT FOR 4-STAR SAFETY: 4-star safety Cortez McDowell from Locust Grove (Ga.) High attended Big Cat Weekend last Saturday but Auburn still has ground to make up. McDowell said Tennessee and Florida State are standing out to him the most right now and he plans to visit both in June.

“This past year, when (Florida State) had all 11 guys drafted, they had seven of them already with degrees,” McDowell told 247Sports. “And the other four are about to finish up degrees this summer, so that’s a big thing, talking about student-athletes, and that’s graduating. And that’s big. For myself, that’s real big.

“Tennessee, they’re a new program right now, but I feel like, if they keep getting the guys that they keep needing filling those spots, Tennessee will be a dangerous team to watch this upcoming year.”

what the buck does UT have that we don't? seriously, guy?

matt-foley.jpg They have a stadium down by the river!

Well looks like BCW did not have the affect we hoped or thought on McDowell. Free excerpt

TWO STAND OUT FOR 4-STAR SAFETY: 4-star safety Cortez McDowell from Locust Grove (Ga.) High attended Big Cat Weekend last Saturday but Auburn still has ground to make up. McDowell said Tennessee and Florida State are standing out to him the most right now and he plans to visit both in June.

“This past year, when (Florida State) had all 11 guys drafted, they had seven of them already with degrees,” McDowell told 247Sports. “And the other four are about to finish up degrees this summer, so that’s a big thing, talking about student-athletes, and that’s graduating. And that’s big. For myself, that’s real big.

“Tennessee, they’re a new program right now, but I feel like, if they keep getting the guys that they keep needing filling those spots, Tennessee will be a dangerous team to watch this upcoming year.”

what the buck does UT have that we don't? seriously, guy?

matt-foley.jpg They have a stadium down by the river!

22353649.jpg

;D

Who do you think they are?

Us, TN, OSU?

My guess is Tennessee, FSU, and either us or Vandy.

• 4 weeks later...

Surprisingly good article by Michael Carvell Link

Maybe it’s only appropriate that one of the state’s biggest recruiting mysteries, Cortez McDowell, wants to solve mysteries for a post-football career.

“I want to major in Criminology and work for the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency),” McDowell told the AJC on Wednesday when asked about his college plans.

And why? “I just want to clean up the streets some.”

The streets will be a safer place if the 4-star from Locust Grove High School attacks them with the same excellence as he does football out of the defensive secondary:

McDowell is clearly the state’s No. 1 prospect at safety, and says he has been told by UGA, Tennessee and Florida State that he’s at the top of each team’s recruiting board at the position.

But where will McDowell sign next February? Or which school is his favorite? Well, that’s a mystery.

There have been recent rumors that McDowell was on the brink of committing to Tennessee. “Yeah, I’ve heard that a lot,” he said with a laugh. “But there’s no guarantee where I’m going to go yet.”

One of the few things about McDowell’s recruitment that isn’t a mystery is where he has made unofficial visits this summer. He has made recent trips to UGA, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida State.

• McDowell on Auburn: “I pretty much like the family vibe there. Everything they do is talk about family. You can’t go wrong when you talk about family.”
  • On Florida State: “Same thing. Family and how they care for the kids down in Tallahassee.”
  • On Tennessee: “I like the chemistry that those coaches have together, for them being a first-year staff. You know all of them have been together coaching, and when you’re around them, you can tell they get along well with each other.”
  • On UGA: “The biggest thing would be pretty much just staying in-state and playing for the Georgia Dogs. There’s something about them: They really don’t care about just sports. They want to build your legacy for four years down the road.”

The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder was at UGA for a 7-on-7 team camp in early June and observed by Mark Richt. After the camp, McDowell and Richt talked over the phone. “He said it was great watching me compete. That was the first time for me doing football since the season ended. He told me he enjoyed watching me run around and make plays.”

McDowell missed most spring football activities due to baseball. He started in centerfield and batted leadoff for Locust Grove’s baseball team. McDowell has showed enough promise and potential in the sport to be invited to participate in USA Baseball’s Breakthrough Series in Texas in late July. He will get to display his talents in front of pro scouts. He’s not considered to be one of the state’s top MLB prospects but his raw athleticism and potential is undeniable.

“I think I have a shot at getting drafted,” McDowell said. “My thing is, if I go in the top five rounds, I’m going to sign. But if not, I’m going to college and play.”

Which sport does McDowell love the most? “Football, because I can hit people. But baseball is a good sport, too. I pretty much like them equally. Whatever happens, I will be fine with it.”

UGA, Florida State and Vanderbilt have talked to McDowell about playing both football and baseball in college – which is an idea that he likes. “That’s what I want to do. But if not, I’m just going to play football.”

Back to football and the mysteries: McDowell says he is finished with visiting colleges this summer because of baseball stuff. He won’t go on tour again until it’s time to take official visits in the fall.

Which colleges are McDowell’s favorites? “I don’t have a leader right now. I won’t have a leader until after the second week of July. I’m going to narrow down my schools, probably to four or five.”

Which colleges will definitely be in his top five? McDowell opened up a little bit. “Florida State and Tennessee.”

What about UGA and Auburn? “I will have to get down to both schools again and look around. I’ve got to get my brother down to both schools, so he can see them. If he likes them, then it’s a shoo-in for them to be inside my top five.”

What’s McDowell’s timeline for a decision? Will he wait until after his senior season? “I’m not sure yet. Whenever the time is right, I guess.”

So FSU and UT are the top 2 right now. Us, UGA, and Vandy will probably round out the top 5 when he lists them in July.

Pretty much.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the scoop? No short list on the 4th and another trip to the Plains scheduled?

He plans to visit Auburn again. Anything more than that is premium right now.

Auburn makes the final 3. Link

Four-star safety Cortez McDowell has named a final three and he "more than likely" will announce his pick Aug. 2.

So what's the scoop? No short list on the 4th and another trip to the Plains scheduled?

That's okay. You can tell us, we don't mind!

That's okay. You can tell us, we don't mind!

bsci posted it above.

in that order?

No order but my guess is Auburn will not get him if they do not give Cortez a chance to play baseball here.

He is a similar situation to Winston, great possibility he never plays football if he is drafted high enough. He's a talented baseball player.

he is a very good baseball player but won't be drafted that high. he gets on base and covers a lot of ground in CF.

THIS ^^^^. He loves baseball but is not a high draft prospect at this time.

Archived