Conditioning Program

I don't think I have ever posted on this forum, so let this be my first official post here...

Back on January 17th of this year, I returned to my doctor's office to get the results on some blood work I had done. My doc told me my blood sugar was high and he was going to place me on metformin. This would now become the third pill I had to take daily in addition to my blood pressure medication and the pill for my high uric acid level. I tipped the scales at the doc's office at 257 on a 5-10 frame and was 5 months away from turning 49.

I came home disgusted with myself and told my wife I was going to make major changes in my life style. I had lost weight before with low-carb diets but no exercise. I was determined to do it right this time around. My father who is 79, currently takes around 10 pills a day for various medical issues and I didn't want to live that life later down the road.

Though the doctor recommended a 2000-calorie diet, I elected to go to 1500. I started out working out in the gym at work, the 6-days I worked and in March, the wife and I bought 21-speed bikes. I started out riding 6 miles per day, which is now 12-14 miles per day. This week, I started riding twice per day, every other day.

Today, I weighed in at 194 pounds, having lost 63 pounds since January 17th of this year. I went from a 44 waist to a 34, which is now becoming a tad loose. I have been off all the medication for the last 3 months. My blood pressure this morning was 122 over 73. No more daily headaches, lower back pains and NO MORE SNORING.... :bananadance:

I praise God, for giving me the mental and physical fortitude to turn my life around. I express these thoughts on this forum today to encourage others, they can do the same. I still have 15 pounds to go to reach my goal weight. It is very easy to neglect our health, especially working two jobs and supporting a family of five. I made every excuse in the world the past 10-years to allow myself to let myself "go" physically. I decided I wanted to be around to see all of my grandchildren and hopefully a few great grandchildren down the road.

If I added another 5-10 years to my life, working hard these last 5 months to improve my health, it will have been more than worth it. As I see it, that might be 3-4 more SEC titles and another national championship, I get to witness Auburn winning! :cool:

Congrats....takes a lot of will-power to work at it that hard and long. I know your family appreciates what you have done for them.

You just did something that is hard to push yourself to to do! It's very possible that you are saving yourself from coronary disease later down the road! Not to mention that resistance exercises have been proven to build and sustain bone mass throughout life. You're looking at increased cardio, a higher metabolism, stronger bones, a stronger heart, lowered BP, decreased risk of diabetes, and so much more! I'm very very impressed, and this is coming from a health promotion major!

Archived