2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

Does anyone know if Daron visited this weekend? It certainly isn't a good sign AT ALL that Keith Neihbur just made his crystal ball prediction for Daron going to Alabama.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes you feel better to think of this coaching staff as failures, maybe you should start cheering for bama. I prefer to look at the big picture of a #7 recruiting class as a success rather than focusing on the individual losses along the way.

Nowhere did I say the coaching staff would be a failure. I did say that if Auburn doesn't sign at least one of these two DT prospects, that would be a failure on the part of the coaching staff. I'll stand by that until you can show me how missing on both will be considered a success.

Guys, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Where one sees failure the other sees choice. Everyone is not going to love auburn due to reasons beyond anyone's control. Its the coaches job to show each recruit the best way they are going to use them and sometimes a recruit loves it, sometimes not so much. Our scheme is not for everyone so we miss out. Some we convince that we will be their best choice . My simi-educated opinion is that our program was not regarded highly because of the bad publicity portrayed of us by ignorant reporters, writers and sportscasters plus the latter part of CGC career didn't help make recruits wonder if we are another " one hit wonder" again. We may loose one or two top recruits here and there but even though some other programs have a higher ranking class doesn't necessarily mean winning! CGM has us on the rise and in a couple more seasons we will be he program that's the hot spot to be. JMO War Eagle

Totally agree Mikey. And wedw. Having top players in our backyard who have us at their top two that we normally recruit well and with a great position coach and we have had pro success too and they choose our rivals....that would be disappointing. I think Mack could still come in to play down the road. Having Payne on campus this weekend is huge. We need this guy.

If it makes you feel better to think of this coaching staff as failures, maybe you should start cheering for bama. I prefer to look at the big picture of a #7 recruiting class as a success rather than focusing on the individual losses along the way.

Nowhere did I say the coaching staff would be a failure. I did say that if Auburn doesn't sign at least one of these two DT prospects, that would be a failure on the part of the coaching staff. I'll stand by that until you can show me how missing on both will be considered a success.

You are at least consistent in your false dichotomies, as always. Classes are rarely dependent on one player, especially a defensive player. But we arguably swung and missed when we "settled" for Tre Mason and didn't sign a higher ranked RB that year. Yet Tre had perhaps the best year of all running backs in college football last year.

Most of these analogies are very weak, because they are measuring the success at signing prospects, when the value of such prospections is still merely a suggestion. Granted, a lot of 5 star prospects are amazing players eventually. But quite a few simply are not. I think you find it easier to be disappointed and lower your expectations, in order to prevent greater future disappointment.

It's April. We'll see how things go. But it seems a bit dramatic to define failure so early this cycle.

2 things to note: if he was a bama fan growing up, or if his parents are bama fans; He Will Be A Turd!! I wouldn't waste my time entertaining this kid to come to AU, because he is already brainwashed and lost.

war eagle6, read into this forum a little bit and you'll soon see that his grandfather is a huge Auburn fan and will play a big part in his recruitment process. It's only April and we have until February to sway his commitment to the good guys. Everyone just calm down.

Mikey, you're getting awfully Clintonian in your parsing of words there. I think we're wasting a lot of effort on semantics. You insist on using the word "failure," which might be technically applicable, but I insist it is a very poor word choice to describe the overall situation. I would prefer to call it a disappointment. We know we're not going to sell every recruit that comes in here on AU (or else we wouldn't extend over 100 scholarship offers for 25 openings), just as a car salesman wouldn't expect to sell a car to every person that walked on his lot. But the fact that we have the traffic is in itself a good thing. There were many years when we couldn't get a 5* recruit anywhere near campus, and now many, if not most, of them are giving Auburn serious consideration. Our football recruiting is better than it has ever been. If you want to use the word "failure" to describe that, you really should be wearing crimson.

I now terminate my hijack of the Daron Payne thread.

Good.

Quote:" If you want to use the word "failure" to describe that, you really should be wearing crimson."

What's with some of you guys wanting to call everybody that doesn't agree with you a bammer? Is that something you picked up on another message board somewhere and brought here? If so, I wish you'd take it back to wherever you found it. It's childish and silly.

Seriously, simply being critical of some recruiting efforts does not warrant anyone being called a crimson neck or a turd.

Let's get back to daron. What's the word on this weekend? ,I hope it was a great visit. Coach garner needs to pull this kid.

Good.

Quote:" If you want to use the word "failure" to describe that, you really should be wearing crimson."

What's with some of you guys wanting to call everybody that doesn't agree with you a bammer? Is that something you picked up on another message board somewhere and brought here? If so, I wish you'd take it back to wherever you found it. It's childish and silly.

Damn, one of you just made me agree 100% with Mikey. I don't consider most dissenting voices here to be remotely Bammer. Whining, maybe, Negative Nancies, at times, idiots...well a couple. But you don't have to embrace the current coaches, administration, philosophy, etc. to love Auburn.

Let's get back to daron. What's the word on this weekend? ,I hope it was a great visit. Coach garner needs to pull this kid.

He didn't come... No show.

He didn't come... No show.

Not surprised. If we pull that guy i will be kinda shocked. When he said, after a visit, that Auburn was his dream school but he didn't commit, I figured right then a "struggle over wit, bidness decision" was in that kids future. I hope we dont continue to chase the kid, he's going to alrbamr.

Anyone know his plans for A Day attendance? AU or UA???

Bama for A Day. The only thing keeping this thread from the Rival's Recruiting forum is a formal commitment. The kid is all Bama.

I hate to see these Auburn fans go to turdtown. The only thing that is going to put a stop to that is championships and consistently putting kids in the NFL ourselves. Bama has done an excellent job promoting saban's success of putting players in the NFL. Given his recruiting classes he SHOULD be putting large numbers of players in the NFL. The recruits just see the NUMBERS like all of these kids are getting developed. I hope the noise Auburn makes in this draft is just the beginning of a long consistent run.

War Eagle !

Does anyone know if Daron visited this weekend? It certainly isn't a good sign AT ALL that Keith Neihbur just made his crystal ball prediction for Daron going to Alabama.

No. Hoke tweeted yesterday Payne did not visit AU as planned.

I wish everyone who keeps saying kids, their parents, grandparents, etc. grew up Auburn fans would finally realize it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to choosing a school to play ball. These kids are making "business decisions" to get them to the NFL. Even kids that choose Auburn are doing it because they thing it is in their best interest to do so, not because they grew up fans.

What is plan D? It seems obvious that he will be a turd. Who is next on the list?

Plan D is Jauntavius Johnson. He's been a take for the staff for 2 months now. Since the staff plans on 2 DTs in this class what you're actually wanting to know is What's plan E. That I don'r know but I'm sure someone will emerge in the evaluation season that starts Monday and goes through mid July.

Archived