Vols schedule Auburn for Homecoming Game...

ellitor

Someone has to play them for their homecoming. Why not us? I don't have a problem with it. I remember us playing Florida State for our homecoming a few times.

Totally agree. The SEC is actually a bit of an anomaly when it comes to scheduling cupcakes for homecoming, so I honestly hope what UT is doing becomes a trend in conference. Big Ten schools, Pac 12 schools, and most Big 12 schools schedule conference games. Much more fun in my opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you want them to do?? Vandy has been BEATING them.

Vandy has 2 wins in the past 30 years. Even with UTk struggling recently they have still dominated Vandy. Vandy has not had back-to-back wins in the series since 1927.Vandi would have been the safer choice for a homecoming W.

Hoping this one looks like the 04 game against Tennessee. I've never seen 103000 people not make a sound!

YUP! I was there. 50 yardline seats. Wasn't it glorious?!?!

Hoping this one looks like the 04 game against Tennessee. I've never seen 103000 people not make a sound!

YUP! I was there. 50 yardline seats. Wasn't it glorious?!?!

A thing of pure beauty! All you heard by halftime was Auburn cheers and possibly a little crying.

A bit odd for UT to do this since Auburn's won the last 5 games vs the Vols, including TWO (2) Vol losses to AU in one season in 2004 plus the Vols two, er, "revenge games" in '08 & '09. Assuming one picks one's homecoming opponents as probable wins, maybe they predict a win over Auburn now's easier than over Vandy? That certainly would have been true last year although you'd need to go back to about 1955 before that for Auburn to be prospectivelty easier than Vandy.

On the other hand, when we scheduled Maryland for our 1983 homecoming game they were darn good and by the time Booomer Esiason & co come onto the Plains they were top 5...although Dye & co sent the ACC's best packing.

Did anyone go look at their schedule? Tell me what date makes more sense? If you say the Vandy game not sure a game that late in November makes a lot of sense anyway, however UT does their homecoming the first week/first game at home in Nov that is where Auburn falls get over it Mel Gibson no consipiracy here.

All I can think about is when Auburn played TN in 2009 and the cameras kept showing the TN defense on the sideline trying to find oxygen masks...lol

Did anyone go look at their schedule? Tell me what date makes more sense? If you say the Vandy game not sure a game that late in November makes a lot of sense anyway, however UT does their homecoming the first week/first game at home in Nov that is where Auburn falls get over it Mel Gibson no consipiracy here.

Vandy makes much more sense than Auburn because Tennessee has dominated Vandy even through it's struggles.

Vandy makes much more sense than Auburn because Tennessee has dominated Vandy even through it's struggles.

The guy has a point though, why would they want to schedule Vandy for homecoming on Thanksgiving weekend? It's really a scheduling issue - they could schedule SoAlabama on 9/28, but that's really early for HC. They dang sure don't want to schedule SoCarl on 10/19, that's a guaranteed beatdown, then they play 2 away games back to back which leaves AU on 11/9...........IMO, they didn't have much of a choice but the schedule us for their HC game.

The guy has a point though, why would they want to schedule Vandy for homecoming on Thanksgiving weekend? It's really a scheduling issue - they could schedule SoAlabama on 9/28, but that's really early for HC. They dang sure don't want to schedule SoCarl on 10/19, that's a guaranteed beatdown, then they play 2 away games back to back which leaves AU on 11/9...........IMO, they didn't have much of a choice but the schedule us for their HC game.

^ This ^ although, it could be Butch Jones trying to make some noise in the SEC. He's taking a risk in scheduling an SEC opponent for homecoming, and there are 2 possible outcomes. 1) They win, Butch looks like a hero, fans get excited, or 2) they lose, but Butch can say that he didn't schedule a cupcake for HC, which other SEC teams do year in and year out.

1 problem with that theory. The Vandy game is not on Thanksgiving weekend. Vandy game is Nov. 23rd. Thanksgiving is Nov. 28th.

1 problem with that theory. The Vandy game is not on Thanksgiving weekend. Vandy game is Nov. 23rd. Thanksgiving is Nov. 28th.

But when do UT students get out for Thanksgiving? I would guess that it is the 22nd, which means that many students wouldn't be there for the HC game.

But when do UT students get out for Thanksgiving? I would guess that it is the 22nd, which means that many students wouldn't be there for the HC game.

Is Vandy the last home game? If so, then that'd be senior night wouldn't it?

Well that's embarrassing. There once was a time when an Auburn D would be salivating at the thought. Now, not so much.

I watched the '02 Ole Miss game several of several days ago. Eli against Jason. Going into the foruth quarter, they had 10 yards rushing. TEN. They would up with 80something, but that was fun to watch.

Watched the '92 LSU game a day or so after that. I had forgotten Tommy Bowden was our OC a year before Terry got here. I tremendously enjoyed watching us play stout, STOUT, D.

Good point. HC and SN have to be seperate events.

Vandy is the last home game on 11/23. That will be senior night.

The week before that (11/16) they have a bye week.

The week before that (11/9) they play us at home. Homecoming

The previous home football game would be S. Carolina on October 19th.

After going over their schedule, having us as their homecoming game makes a lot of sense.

After going over their schedule, having us as their homecoming game makes a lot of sense.

All that analysis was in my cocessional Good point. lol

Tenn has more of a chance against SC than many would believe.

All that analysis was in my cocessional Good point. lol

Note to self, scroll up and read the posts BEFORE posting to avoid awkwardness.

LOL. That's funny, esprcially since you quoted my post.

Talking head says UT is going to surprise a lot of people this year. New coach will do that with talent, and i don't know if they have that great of talent. I hope their d is one of those that cant handle the spread hurry up. Knoxville, great place though.

Another interesting scheduling situation is that Bobby Petrino will return to the SEC when he coaches WKU against UK in Nashville on 8/31 and then UT in Knoxville in 9/7.

Archived