Thoughts on Malzahn's Pass-Offense

StatTiger

From 2000-2012, SEC teams have combined for an efficiency rating of 129.2. During Malzahn's 4 seasons as an OC in the SEC, his pass-offenses had an efficiency rating of 142.8. That's very impressive, when you consider how many quarterbacks account for that overall rating (good & bad). Imagine how efficient it would be with a returning starter in place, which he has never had at the collegiate level. For the most part, if Auburn can run the football, they will have a consistent pass-offense to compliment it.

54 games as an OC in the SEC and his offense ran for 170-yards or more 39 times with a combined pass-rating of 146.2. In the 15 remaining games under 170-yards rushing, his pass-offense had an efficiency rating of 134.2, still higher than the SEC standard of 129.2.

Fans like to debate the complexity of Malzahn's pass-offense or the lack there of but I look at the "bottom line". Does it work? The above numbers is a resounding, "yes". We all know the offensive edge will be built primarily around tempo, so in theory, the schemes need to be simple for the most part to allow better efficiency. There are enough moving parts, motion and play-action to generate confusion on the part of the opposing defense as long as there is consistent "execution" to go along with the tempo.

Malzahn has been very good at personnel utilization in his 7 previous seasons as a collegiate coach, when it comes to offense. Looking at this season's personnel lineup, makes the likely focus on OL, RB, TE and FB. At the end of the season, I think we will see 65-67% run in terms of offensive snaps. I don't see Auburn throwing the ball more than 25 times during a game unless it's required by situation. Of course this doesn't mean the pass-offense cannot be efficient or explosive. Personally, I want a pass-offense built around quality and not quantity.

Guest jojo1515

Hard to argue with the stats. Definitely harder though to argue with Stat on twitter as we saw the other day in the epic beatdown of a guy who predicts against AU!

Watching bammer vs. A&M the other day, bammer's D was absolutely gassed and A&M doesn't go near as fast as Malzahn likes to go, so I believe that AU will be brutal on teams that aren't ready for what is coming.

Watching bammer vs. A&M the other day, bammer's D was absolutely gassed and A&M doesn't go near as fast as Malzahn likes to go, so I believe that AU will be brutal on teams that aren't ready for what is coming.

+1

+1

I watched that game along with a few others from 2012 this weekend too. Bama's D got stronger in the second half but were a bit tired in the 4th and the offense was non-existent in key moments. Their D didn't look that great against LSU or UGA either. Surprisingly, offense will be their strength this year. Still think they will have a top 10 D but not as good as a couple years ago.

+1

I watched that game along with a few others from 2012 this weekend too. Bama's D got stronger in the second half but were a bit tired in the 4th and the offense was non-existent in key moments. Their D didn't look that great against LSU or UGA either. Surprisingly, offense will be their strength this year. Still think they will have a top 10 D but not as good as a couple years ago.

I agree - their offense will be their strength and with a veteran QB to go along we maybe the best WR corp's in the league, they should be the strength provided NS allows them to air it out more. Their secondary will be very good, but the rest of the D will be suspect early in the season. It will still rank top 10 which is damn strong and who could argue with that?

+1

I agree - their offense will be their strength and with a veteran QB to go along we maybe the best WR corp's in the league, they should be the strength provided NS allows them to air it out more. Their secondary will be very good, but the rest of the D will be suspect early in the season. It will still rank top 10 which is damn strong and who could argue with that?

Louisville receivers says "not so fast my friend"!

To beat Alabama you have to be able to throw the ball down the field. Even though Saban is known for his secondary, they are vulnerable when you have a quarterback that can stretch the field with his arm. This was seen last year against LSU & UGA. This was also seen in 2010 with our big plays in the passing game with Cam. Going back to his time at LSU, he was embarrassed by Spurrier and Grossman in 2002 and by Greene and UGA in 2005 when they consistently went deep on Saban's secondary. But as Stat said, it starts with consistency from the Quarterback.

Oh look! Another thread derailed by AU fans talking about bama. Its getting rather tiresome.

Well Weegle777 started it! :gofig:

Oh look! Another thread derailed by AU fans talking about bama. Its getting rather tiresome.

Well Weegle777 started it! :gofig:/>

Definitely Weeg's fault.

To beat Alabama you have to be able to throw the ball down the field. Even though Saban is known for his secondary, they are vulnerable when you have a quarterback that can stretch the field with his arm. This was seen last year against LSU & UGA. This was also seen in 2010 with our big plays in the passing game with Cam. Going back to his time at LSU, he was embarrassed by Spurrier and Grossman in 2002 and by Greene and UGA in 2005 when they consistently went deep on Saban's secondary. But as Stat said, it starts with consistency from the Quarterback.

The reason they can be beat is they play tight D as they expect their D-Line and LBers to get to QB before a long play can develop. So when teams have beat Bama with the long ball it is because the O-Line gave enough time for the play to develop. We have the talent in the O-line to throw long and the ability to run also. Now let's see if we can do it.

From 2000-2012, SEC teams have combined for an efficiency rating of 129.2. During Malzahn's 4 seasons as an OC in the SEC, his pass-offenses had an efficiency rating of 142.8. That's very impressive, when you consider how many quarterbacks account for that overall rating (good & bad). Imagine how efficient it would be with a returning starter in place, which he has never had at the collegiate level. For the most part, if Auburn can run the football, they will have a consistent pass-offense to compliment it.

54 games as an OC in the SEC and his offense ran for 170-yards or more 39 times with a combined pass-rating of 146.2. In the 15 remaining games under 170-yards rushing, his pass-offense had an efficiency rating of 134.2, still higher than the SEC standard of 129.2.

Fans like to debate the complexity of Malzahn's pass-offense or the lack there of but I look at the "bottom line". Does it work? The above numbers is a resounding, "yes". We all know the offensive edge will be built primarily around tempo, so in theory, the schemes need to be simple for the most part to allow better efficiency. There are enough moving parts, motion and play-action to generate confusion on the part of the opposing defense as long as there is consistent "execution" to go along with the tempo.

Malzahn has been very good at personnel utilization in his 7 previous seasons as a collegiate coach, when it comes to offense. Looking at this season's personnel lineup, makes the likely focus on OL, RB, TE and FB. At the end of the season, I think we will see 65-67% run in terms of offensive snaps. I don't see Auburn throwing the ball more than 25 times during a game unless it's required by situation. Of course this doesn't mean the pass-offense cannot be efficient or explosive. Personally, I want a pass-offense built around quality and not quantity.

^^^“Fellow beat writer Brandon Marcello mentioned on Twitter today that Gus Malzahn hasn’t been involved in a losing season as an assistant or head coach since 1993 when he was 4-6 at Hughes (Ark.) High School.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/BMATT247-Strolling-on-by-141209

Definitely Weeg's fault.

Lol

What are the stats w/o Cam Newton?

131.2, again above the SEC standard. Of course if we drop Newton from Auburn's numbers, it would only be fair to drop the numbers of each team's best QB's in the SEC, which means the average efficiency-rating around the SEC would also drop.

Definitely Weeg's fault.

+3. :) They're our rival..it is what it is.

Archived