2013 Fall Camp - Practice 15 & 16 (Thur, Aug 15)

RunInRed

Why even announce? Why not just let everyone wonder except the QB that starts.. Would make a heck-of-a hard time at WSU preparing for a QB by watching film..

You basically answered your own question.

It most likely won't matter who's playing QB, so why drag on the suspense? The closest game film Wazzou has of either Johnson or Marshall in this offense comes by proximity of space-time and calendar flips dating back to the A-Day game.

Scouting old game film of Malzahn's teams might assist them with packaging their best defensive personnel for certain formations and tendencies, but they won't have jack on the QB running it.

I'm not quite following you; neither Johnson nor Marshall were at AU in the spring.

To answer the question about why name a starting QB: While there is some tactical advantage for the first game in not announcing the starting QB, a starting QB has to be decided on so that he can begin to gel with the rest of the offense. Gus could avoid making a public announcement, but everyone at practice would know and it would inevitably leak out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how not naming a qb hurts wsu offense. You don't know anything about either qb really. You would have to prepare for them the same way as well. Marshall may be faster but still they both can move you would stillhave to prepare your team the same way. Both can run, both can stretch the field.

Can I just point out that Jason Duffner is living the dream. Dude plays golf for a living, has a drop dead gorgeous wife who's light years ahead of his coverage, and get's to hang out around AU football like he's just one of the guys. Seriously...does it get much better?

Can I just point out that Jason Duffner is living the dream. Dude plays golf for a living, has a drop dead gorgeous wife who's light years ahead of his coverage, and get's to hang out around AU football like he's just one of the guys. Seriously...does it get much better?

Thanks. You just made me realize how bad my life sucks.

I don't see how not naming a qb hurts wsu offense. You don't know anything about either qb really. You would have to prepare for them the same way as well. Marshall may be faster but still they both can move you would stillhave to prepare your team the same way. Both can run, both can stretch the field.

Yes I agree

Yes I agree

not to mention the 7 figure check he just cashed and the renegotiated endorsement deals he is most likely working on ...

Thanks. You just made me realize how bad my life sucks.

Could be worse brother. You could be one of Saban's processed clones.

:laugh:

Jason Duffner looked happier and more excited to be at the football practice than he did when he won the PGA.

I think he's got a great story, and the whole Duffnering thing is hilarious. So happy he won the PGA!

Can we get a Duffnering emoticon, by the way?

Why even announce? Why not just let everyone wonder except the QB that starts.. Would make a heck-of-a hard time at WSU preparing for a QB by watching film..

It most likely won't matter who's playing QB, so why drag on the suspense? The closest game film Wazzou has of either Johnson or Marshall in this offense comes by proximity of space-time and calendar flips dating back to the A-Day game.

Scouting old game film of Malzahn's teams might assist them with packaging their best defensive personnel for certain formations and tendencies, but they won't have jack on the QB running it.

I'm not quite following you; neither Johnson nor Marshall were at AU in the spring.

To answer the question about why name a starting QB: While there is some tactical advantage for the first game in not announcing the starting QB, a starting QB has to be decided on so that he can begin to gel with the rest of the offense. Gus could avoid making a public announcement, but everyone at practice would know and it would inevitably leak out.

That's funny considering a walk-on did leak who the starter was.

Guest jojo1515

Did I miss something? Whan did a walk on leak the starter and who did he say it was?

Did I miss something? Whan did a walk on leak the starter and who did he say it was?

I presume the walk on would be Tuberville, and the starter would be Marshall

But I'm just in the dark as you are

Last night, Marshall.

FWIW Kiehl earned second team reps and actually made some good plays in last night's scrimmage. He looked a lot more comfortable than expected.

FWIW Kiehl earned second team reps and actually made some good plays in last night's scrimmage. He looked a lot more comfortable than expected.

Who's he playing behind?

Who's he playing behind?

Whitehead

Who's he playing behind?

Whitehead

That's what I figured. Glad he's getting comfortable in his new role.

In a nuthsell, Washy State has no blueprint of Johnson or Marshall running Gus's offense.

What might be useful to them would perhaps be scouting footage of Gus's offense from '09-'11, dissecting what AU players were fielded in certain formations and alignments, so that they might be able to come up with their own defensive packages based from what they think Gus might throw their way.

But that's only half the battle. Knowing what QB is going to run the offense and how to effectively scout him is the other half.

Archived