Preparing for LSU

DyeHardAllTheWay

Practice one thing and one thing only, 5 days straight of Marshall and Coates practicing deep routes. Coates stats would be huge right now if those two could get in sync.

Also O-line d-line play

And the read option practice the QB actually keeping the ball once or twice

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not get intimidated whatsoever from the loud & often obnoxious fan crowd at tigger stadium. Take the crowd out of the game early and often throughout the entire game. Keep your cool and make lethal plays work in our favor. Show Lsu who the real tigers are in the SEC. We do this, and we win this game!

Good news for the defense is Mettenberger is a pocket passer so he shouldnt be able to run. bad news their a downhill running team with massive size. Hill is 235, Blue 222, Hillard 233 and McGee 214. Their FB Copeland goes to 270 and their o-line averages 322. That effects the weakest spot on the defense the dt's and lb's. If Davis isn't back were in trouble with Beckham. I believe the younger players are better because they havent had the misfortune of Roof and Van Gorder and in their 3rd system has as many years, they should start and we have a better chance i like this line up for 2 deep

DE- Ford/Lawson

DT-Adams/Wright

DT-Bradley/Blackson

DE-Sanders/Owens

LB-Frost/Swain

LB-McKinzy/ Flowers

S- Garrett/Theirize or Alexander

CB-C Davis/ T Davis

FS-Hosley/Theirize ( needs to play saftey for depth reasons I think)

SS-Whitehead/Smith

CB-Mincy/ Melton ( White just has bad as Holland he always gets burnt go with the freshman)

5th rotated DE- Delaine

5th rotated DT- Carter

5th rotaed LB- Mitchell ( Holland can play special teams but shouldnt play LB'er)

Jake Holland doesnt need to see the field he just not good enough for the SEC. To win we have to blitz at will like Auburn of old we can't play soft zone at all must be in man vs Beckham and Landry or they will kill us in the passing game. We have to hit them in the mouth and we have to rattle Mettenberger and his rhytm to win. They will run,run,run playaction bomb its that simple.

On The Offense I like to see some changes on the o-line I like Diamond and Young both 5 stars at guard. Slade and Kozan have struggled. Robinson must of ran stadiums didnt have 40 holding calls. I believe the starting wr's should be Coates/Davis/Bray. I believe Marcus Davis will become Marshall's Wes Welker and his favorite target after last night. We havent utilized Payne I believe he should start and get atleast 25 carries and pound the ball with super tempo their 2 deep has alot of freshman on defense so drop off in experience when starters need a breather leads to good things for us. He only had I think 6 carries last night, not enough for your bruiser in SEC play. The run game last not was expected State prob has 2nd best d line in conf behind Arkansas,(South Carolina is avg they have Clowney on the DL that's it, that defense sucks). State back 7 outside of Whitley aren't good Marshall had to find himself and he did.

Right now I project 3 losses LSU,Ole Miss,Georgia I believe we beat Alabama and Texas A & M both have horrid defenses. Alabama D-line got no push, their secondary has been bad for last 3 years just dont have d-line to bail them out this year. Texas A&M won't stop anybody on defense you stop Manziel on 2 poss your gonna win. I think they both lose to LSU and Ole Miss. I think LSU will go to title game vs Clemson or Florida State. Oregon will lose to either UCLA or Stanford and I think one of the Washington's upsets Stanford. I think Washington St will finish in Top 25 with 8 or 9 wins.

Glad your not a coach

Unleash the offense.

We are 3-0, playing AT LSU... will be picked to lose by everybody, nothing to loose...

Pretty much ALL Hurry up 2 minute drill regardless of game situation or worrying about 3 n outs... Shoot for 100 plays. 2 minute type HUNH will also cut down on crowd noise communication problems...

And I know Gus wants to be a run first HUNH... but we are gonna have to pass first to open up the run on the really good defenses, Can still run a majority of the time IF we can get a good passing attack first... when we DO run, work on NOT getting CUTE... LSU is FAST and can run with our fastest... Have BO talk to the backs like he did with OMAC... RB's need to HIT the holes hard and fast... and go North and South. Don't get too cute and take everything they give you.

So let nick air it out and make plays, also work on him keeping some read options which will again open up the RB run game just as much as the passes, and go deep often (even if you only hit 50% you help open up the run some which will be critical against LSU's D line)..

Basically don't worry about any other game or "revealing" anything... pull out all the stops, have fun, play loose and hit hard for 4 quarters.

Continue to make adjustments on Defense and ATTACK knowing we are gonna try and put the pedal down and just out score them.

Cut down on fumbles and mistakes / penalties that kill your drives and keep theirs going. We must play as mistake and turnover free as possible if we want to stay in the game.

I think this is exactly what Gus wanted to try with Miss St and was still a bit conservative with Marshall, but now that he has that SEC win... I believe he will flat out attack on O and D and go for broke.

I think we can beat em and I know Gus can out coach the hat.

War Eagle.

Do not get intimidated whatsoever from the loud & often obnoxious fan crowd at tigger stadium. Take the crowd out of the game early and often throughout the entire game. Keep your cool and make lethal plays work in our favor. Show Lsu who the real tigers are in the SEC. We do this, and we win this game!

Bingo

I'm getting a little tired of hearing that he has only played QB's for 6 weeks. Did he not play QB last year? I know it was not big boy football, but he did play. Not to make light of the game, but all we need to do is make the plays that we haven't made so far. The wide open receivers have to catch the ball and he can't over throw a receiver that is all alone. It will be a close game if this happens, if not, it will be a blow out.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing that he has only played QB's for 6 weeks. Did he not play QB last year? I know it was not big boy football, but he did play. Not to make light of the game, but all we need to do is make the plays that we haven't made so far. The wide open receivers have to catch the ball and he can't over throw a receiver that is all alone. It will be a close game if this happens, if not, it will be a blow out.

People are saying he has only been on campus for six weeks. That is only six weeks with the playbook. That is only six weeks to work on the route timing and the timing with the WR's. Six weeks is not that long a period of time.

1. Defense. Have to learn not to allow short passing game to beat you. Playing close to receivers, tight ends, and RBs out of the backfield. Linebacker drills to cover TEs and RBs out of backfield.

2. Defense. Have to learn to contain QBs from running for 100 yards per game.

3. Defense. Pressure the QBs from the front 4. Pressure.

4. Defense. When to time blitzes

5. Defense. Getting off the field on third downs.

6. Offense. O-Line has to learn to deal with 4-7 man rush and blocking assignments.

7. Offense. Receivers have to make catches

8. Offense. Nick Marshall and receivers work on timing and short passing game.

9. Offense. Using Grant, Mason, and Prosch as receivers out of the backfield.

10. Giving Marshall more freedom to use his instincts and experience.

11. Offense. RBs learning to deal with ball strip motions from defensive players.

Some answers

1. Last night Chris Davis could not play. Due also to Garret not being full strength CEJ had no option except to play a loose zone. We have done good in man not as well in zone, I think after the half he went back to man some. Anyway, point is when we have the healthy bodies CEJ will play more man.

2. Second , you can't cover everything so you pick your poison. The slowed the RBs and the passing game and gave up some yards from the QB. Given a choice I would always prefer the QB on the opposing team be highest yardage runner on their team. One reason is they usually are not the best runner and two if they keep getting hit they will be in jepordy of being put out of the game.

3. I agree, but it would help to actually bring that blitz more often, rather than bringing someone to the line and dropping back each time.

4. See 3

5. We are holding opponents to under 40% on third down, how much better do you want.

6. Till last night our O-line was averaging 300 yards rushing p/gm and with last night we are still at about 250. Pass protection has been good. 3 sacks in 3 games and probably not over 4 hurries per game. As Stat has said today, less than 2% of our plays have resulted in negative yards, that would be 2 in 100.

7. I agree a lot of drops but that will come with playing time. whole lot different than catching a pass during practice.

8. See 7.

9. Agree, especially with Proach, He will be dangerous in the flats with single coverage. But Gus has the whole year planned and he will bring it in when he needs it most or when he thinks it will be most sucessful.

10. Marshall has only been in this offense a few weeks. Gus will increase his game as he feels he is ready and not before. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

11. I know for a fact that ball security is high on CGM's list of priority. I have heard that it makes no matter whether it is a game or practice, nor whether you lose it or get it back, you pay dearly for losing a football.

Just my thought. We need to understand this is a marathon for Gus and the other coaches as well as the team. They cannot deal with ever known item in the universe at one time. They know they need work and are not a finished project. This team will still be getting better even in late November. Be patient grasshopper. And BEAT THE CORNDOGS. WDE

I think six weeks is plenty of time not to over throw a receiver by 10 yards. I do think he will get better. But it is cause for concern.

You ever play QB in front of 90000 people. A lot of adrenalin flowing. This is the biggest game he has everplay QB in. Judge not unless you have walked in those shoes. Folks need to understand NM is still a freshman as far as D! QB experience.

Good news for the defense is Mettenberger is a pocket passer so he shouldnt be able to run. bad news their a downhill running team with massive size. Hill is 235, Blue 222, Hillard 233 and McGee 214. Their FB Copeland goes to 270 and their o-line averages 322. That effects the weakest spot on the defense the dt's and lb's. If Davis isn't back were in trouble with Beckham. I believe the younger players are better because they havent had the misfortune of Roof and Van Gorder and in their 3rd system has as many years, they should start and we have a better chance i like this line up for 2 deep

DE- Ford/Lawson

DT-Adams/Wright

DT-Bradley/Blackson

DE-Sanders/Owens

LB-Frost/Swain

LB-McKinzy/ Flowers

S- Garrett/Theirize or Alexander

CB-C Davis/ T Davis

FS-Hosley/Theirize ( needs to play saftey for depth reasons I think)

SS-Whitehead/Smith

CB-Mincy/ Melton ( White just has bad as Holland he always gets burnt go with the freshman)

5th rotated DE- Delaine

5th rotated DT- Carter

5th rotaed LB- Mitchell ( Holland can play special teams but shouldnt play LB'er)

Jake Holland doesnt need to see the field he just not good enough for the SEC. To win we have to blitz at will like Auburn of old we can't play soft zone at all must be in man vs Beckham and Landry or they will kill us in the passing game. We have to hit them in the mouth and we have to rattle Mettenberger and his rhytm to win. They will run,run,run playaction bomb its that simple.

On The Offense I like to see some changes on the o-line I like Diamond and Young both 5 stars at guard. Slade and Kozan have struggled. Robinson must of ran stadiums didnt have 40 holding calls. I believe the starting wr's should be Coates/Davis/Bray. I believe Marcus Davis will become Marshall's Wes Welker and his favorite target after last night. We havent utilized Payne I believe he should start and get atleast 25 carries and pound the ball with super tempo their 2 deep has alot of freshman on defense so drop off in experience when starters need a breather leads to good things for us. He only had I think 6 carries last night, not enough for your bruiser in SEC play. The run game last not was expected State prob has 2nd best d line in conf behind Arkansas,(South Carolina is avg they have Clowney on the DL that's it, that defense sucks). State back 7 outside of Whitley aren't good Marshall had to find himself and he did.

Right now I project 3 losses LSU,Ole Miss,Georgia I believe we beat Alabama and Texas A & M both have horrid defenses. Alabama D-line got no push, their secondary has been bad for last 3 years just dont have d-line to bail them out this year. Texas A&M won't stop anybody on defense you stop Manziel on 2 poss your gonna win. I think they both lose to LSU and Ole Miss. I think LSU will go to title game vs Clemson or Florida State. Oregon will lose to either UCLA or Stanford and I think one of the Washington's upsets Stanford. I think Washington St will finish in Top 25 with 8 or 9 wins.

This sounds a lot like the rantings of a crazy man but I do actually agree with some of what you said... and I'm wondering what that says about me...

Unleash the offense.

We are 3-0, playing AT LSU... will be picked to lose by everybody, nothing to loose...

Pretty much ALL Hurry up 2 minute drill regardless of game situation or worrying about 3 n outs... Shoot for 100 plays. 2 minute type HUNH will also cut down on crowd noise communication problems...

And I know Gus wants to be a run first HUNH... but we are gonna have to pass first to open up the run on the really good defenses, Can still run a majority of the time IF we can get a good passing attack first... when we DO run, work on NOT getting CUTE... LSU is FAST and can run with our fastest... Have BO talk to the backs like he did with OMAC... RB's need to HIT the holes hard and fast... and go North and South. Don't get too cute and take everything they give you.

So let nick air it out and make plays, also work on him keeping some read options which will again open up the RB run game just as much as the passes, and go deep often (even if you only hit 50% you help open up the run some which will be critical against LSU's D line)..

Basically don't worry about any other game or "revealing" anything... pull out all the stops, have fun, play loose and hit hard for 4 quarters.

Continue to make adjustments on Defense and ATTACK knowing we are gonna try and put the pedal down and just out score them.

Cut down on fumbles and mistakes / penalties that kill your drives and keep theirs going. We must play as mistake and turnover free as possible if we want to stay in the game.

I think this is exactly what Gus wanted to try with Miss St and was still a bit conservative with Marshall, but now that he has that SEC win... I believe he will flat out attack on O and D and go for broke.

I think we can beat em and I know Gus can out coach the hat.

War Eagle.

100% agree. We can't go into LSU expecting Nick to manage the game for us. We need the playcalling from the Miss. St. winning drive. It's time to really unleash Nick and the playbook in a major way and let the chips fall where they may.

Put wet paint on the sides of the buses so when the corndogs try to rock the buses they get paint all over them. I wish the buses still had metal bodies then you could hook up a fence charger to the frame and shock the hell out of them.

I think six weeks is plenty of time not to over throw a receiver by 10 yards. I do think he will get better. But it is cause for concern.

I was not impressed with NM, at all, after week one. We just played week three. He made two throws he would probably want back. The wide open bomb he overthrew by a good five yards and the second int. that he hit the LB between the numbers with. He has made a HUGE improvement, in a short time, IMO. I said it last night....I had given up hope after the second int.. I didn't think NM had it in him, at the moment, to drive down the field when it was all on him. He proved me wrong and I could not be happier for him.

Wow, you guys who are bashing Marshall just do not get it. Yes, he still needs to work on touch, but he has had so many dropped passes that I have lost count, but none of you seem to recall that. It really seems to me that Marshall can do no right with a majority of you. He just made a game winning drive, and you guys still complain about him. He is still new to the quarterback position and is still learning the offense, however he has shown me that he has the potential to be a very dangerous QB. I am starting to believe that some of the Auburn fan base want him to fail so you can finally be vindicated and say " See I told you he was no good". Last night he showed why he is the starter. Wallace nor Johnson would have been able to do that, I guarantee it. Maybe that is why some of you hate Marshall, because your guy did not win the job and Marshall has to be perfect every game for you to even say he did well. He is the best QB we have had since Cam, and it is not even close. Marshall has done nothing since he has been here but improve every week and work hard to help the team get better. Why can't some of you just get off Marshall's back and celebrate that we are 3-0 right now?

I just saw Eli Manning over throw a receiver. He has been a QB for nearly 10 years in the league.

I just saw Eli Manning over throw a receiver. He has been a QB for nearly 10 years in the league.

He should be benched right away and bring the back up in

A few years back when I was in Chapel Hill NC, I spent some time with an old friend who teaches in the School of Medicine for UNC. My friend took me to the building that housed the athletic department offices. Butch Davis was the HC then. My colleague was good friends with Butch Davis and his family. My friend asked Coach Davis if he could see the play-book. Coach Davis chuckled and pulled it out of the main drawer of his mahogany desk. I was astounded to see how thick it was. I looked at some of the offensive plays, and was in awe with the complexity of the plays. I asked him how much of it did his QB have to know. Coach Davis said all of it if the QB wanted to walk onto the field, much less being the starting QB.

Having had this experience, I have a deeper appreciation and respect for what a college QB must know in order to the starter. I think Nick Marshall is doing one heck of a good job given his circumstance and the short time he has had to digest the play-book. He is a smart young man that I have a world of respect for. I think we will see with each game, a lot of improvement from Nick, and that is a good thing no doubt!

1st off, Ppl bashing NM must still have a Cam Newton hangover. We'll never have another one like him. Also, NM is a major upgrade from last year. Ppl seem to forget that. Finally, lsu's defense isn't as good as usual. Should be an interesting game.

LOL. Yeah playing in front of 90K fans with a bunch freakishly HUGE defensive linemen literally trying to take your head off is a day at the park. No adjustment time necessary, his timing should be down pat...he should've been perfect in game 1! LOL

Teach Marshall how to hit a wide open receiver.

Tell Ellis Johnson it is okay to play man and blitz before the fourth quarter!

Marshall is fine. You are not going to hit a 60 yard pass every time. If you can get to a 50% ratio, you are a PRO level.

When the WR is 20 yards behind the defense, there is no excuse. He could underthrow the ball and let the WR wait on it. So far, he is 1 out of 5 on these plays, with Wallace missing the other play. When points come at a premium, you have to hit those throws.

Teach Marshall how to hit a wide open receiver.

Tell Ellis Johnson it is okay to play man and blitz before the fourth quarter!

Marshall is fine. You are not going to hit a 60 yard pass every time. If you can get to a 50% ratio, you are a PRO level.

When the WR is 20 yards behind the defense, there is no excuse. He could underthrow the ball and let the WR wait on it. So far, he is 1 out of 5 on these plays, with Wallace missing the other play. When points come at a premium, you have to hit those throws.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Been reading some of the recommendations above and came to the conclusion that it makes no sense for AU to continue paying these huge salaries to Gus and his minions when we could just as easily pick six experts from the board and turn them loose on the SEC.

Several of the posters above obviously have more insight into game strategy than our coaches. And just from watching a couple games on TV and reading some Rivals ratings, these prescient people are able to tell us which players should be starting and even what positions they should be playing. One thing for certain, they are not going to be misled by how any of the kids have actually done in practice....which everyone from Allen Iverson on down knows is totally unimportant. We are making this game much too complicated.

Archived