Sick of hearing "AU's defense gave up 42 points"

BigSammyK

Anyone else getting really sick of hearing the folks at ESPN ripping our defense for giving up 42 points? They seem to be forgetting the TD that should have been called back and the fumble recovery for a touchdown. Sure its possible that Mizzou still would have scored on their first touchdown drive had the refs made the correct call but who knows.

The way I see it the defense gave up 28 points and made some pretty key stops at big moments against a very good offensive team.

Our defense certainly played well enough for us to win the game. In fact, there were some times last night where our defense was absolutely key to keeping us in the game. It's hard to believe, given the eye-popping rushing stats, but our offense did not play its best game last night. Too many penalties stalled drives, too many turnovers. Our D not only played well enough, they also played extremely hard the entire game. Folks forget, too, that Mizzou was pretty dang good on offense!

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this. Defense didn't have anything to do with that fumble recovery and that first TD was great effort by DGB but it was not a catch (see Coates in UGA game). I agree, our D only gave up 28 and they held Mizzou on the first drive to a FG. They could very well have held them to a FG or no score. JMO Either way, D did not give up 42! But at this point, I don't care. They just need to hold FSU to fewer points than AU's O scores. I don't care if that number is 80 if AU's score is 81. :)

I agree. Our D only gave up 28 in my opinion and was better than the final score indicated. The TD catch that should have been overturned was on a 1st down so Miz still had a chance to score. I was proud that we held them to 3 after our fumble. I also have to give Mizz credit, they are a talented team with a very good offense. Their receivers are impressive.

Fortunately we have an offense that is truly magnificent. When we get some better secondary & LB personnel on board so that our D catches up even a little to the level of the O, we'll be an insane team to contend with. As Gus has said, as a team, we're not where he wants it and where we'll be. That should be pretty scary to everyone else.

But the offense scored 59 ...

Against another top rated defense that all the experts just knew AU would not be able to run against...and would have to resort to the pass. Expect we will be hearing that for another month now.

But the offense scored 59 ...

Against another top rated defense that all the experts just knew AU would not be able to run against...and would have to resort to the pass. Expect we will be hearing that for another month now.

Actually, I bet people will now concede that we can run on anyone, including FSU. What I think we'll hear a lot about is that our D won't be able to stop FSU. Most folks will expect a shootout. Personally, I'm intrigued to see what our defensive coaches can do with a month to prepare. Not underestimating FSU's defensive coaches, but I don't think they'll be able to stop us from running, no matter what they do. We just need to avoid penalties and turnovers, and we'll be fine on O.

The same people saying Mizz was going to destroy our short secondary with their tall, fast receivers are now denigrating our defense because that's exactly what happened (insert eye roll here). Yet those same people also said Mizz's rushing defense was better than the mighty Tahd's and there's no way we were going to be able to run on them. 545 yards later and those same experts are speechless.

The same people saying Mizz was going to destroy our short secondary with their tall, fast receivers are now denigrating our defense because that's exactly what happened (insert eye roll here). Yet those same people also said Mizz's rushing defense was better than the mighty Tahd's and there's no way we were going to be able to run on them. 545 yards later and those same experts are speechless.

Yeah -- I don't think ANYONE, not even Lou Holtz, would say that we can't run it on FSU at this point.

Our D played a better game than the final score would indicate, especially in the second half. But they did give up too many yards and too many big plays for my liking. Frankly, I doubt the defense is satisfied with their performance. That's why I'm looking for the most improvement in the next month on the defensive side of the ball!

Yeah -- I don't think ANYONE, not even Lou Holtz, would say that we can't run it on FSU at this point.

Our D played a better game than the final score would indicate, especially in the second half. But they did give up too many yards and too many big plays for my liking. Frankly, I doubt the defense is satisfied with their performance. That's why I'm looking for the most improvement in the next month on the defensive side of the ball!

Yeah, I think we'll see much better play in the NC game. Most people seem to forget that AU was one week away from quite possibly the biggest win in all of AU history, on one of the most spectacular plays in all of CFB history. The fact that they were able to take the field and focus enough to beat a very good team is actually incredibly impressive. FSU, on the other hand, had the game against the Gators pretty much sewn up when they took a 3-0 lead, and they were facing a very overmatched Duke team. Yet they too showed some jitters early on.

I remember back in 2010 all the hype leading up to the showdown with the Ducks was about how much of an offensive shootout the game was going to be. We all know how that turned out - it didn't happen.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing again this year. In no other major sport is there a month-long hiatus before such a big game. I think it's absolutely stupid that it occurs. Teams lose their rhythm practicing against themselves for a month and then it usually takes a while to get back to that real-game mentality when the actual game finally kicks off.

Our defense needs to improve and they have. But need need better (more disciplined) play from our LBs and safeties. We give up a lot of yards because we are not disciplined and lose assignments.

And also 7 of those points were allowed by the offense. So really it would only be 35 points that the defense allowed.

I guess you didn't actually read my post...

I thought it was 10 points off of turnovers?

Its the same as 2010, they rip our D based on the final score, never mentioning that in almost every game the second half D would give up significantly less yards, points, big plays etc. A good defense creates turnovers, pressures the QB, and makes stops at key moments of the game, our D has done that all year including last night. And the early "analysis" that FSU will win because of our weak D is the same argument we heard before Oregon. A month of preparation makes a huge difference

I'm happy with the win, but if am one who was a little disappointed by all the points we gave up. That being said, I trust Gus & Co. to have the team ready in a month.

We won by 17.Would people be happier if it was 17 - 0?

No then people would say Oh Auburn's offense sucked and Missouri's offense really sucked. They're going to get plastered by Florida State who has a real offense

Archived