4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

Great article on Rivals about Smith. Interesting comments from Smith's head coach.

Thanks for the teaser

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article on Rivals about Smith. Interesting comments from Smith's head coach.

Thanks for the teaser

Well then give me an A for not teasing then cuz I posted last night that I felt optimistic about Braden. I got the optimism from the article but did not say that and tease y'all with it.

Could also going after Prince hurt our chances with Braden?

Don't know the answer to that yet. Both are takes though. Smith can play both OT and OG though. Slade is graduating at OG next year and either one of AY or Kozan could turn pro with big years again next season so there can be quick availability for both Prince and Braden should they decide Auburn.

Could also going after Prince hurt our chances with Braden?

Don't know the answer to that yet. Both are takes though. Smith can play both OT and OG though. Slade is graduating at OG next year and either one of AY or Kozan could turn pro with big years again next season so there can be quick availability for both Prince and Braden should they decide Auburn.

I'm pretty ignorant on this topic, but I would venture an uneducated guess that OL recruits don't often get scared off by other OL commits. I'm guessing that based on the fact that there are more spots to choose from and that lining up next to another talented OL makes your job easier. If you get to line up next to them for 3-4 years, even better.

Now that I've said this, we can be almost certain that one of them doesn't sign w/ Auburn and cites our interest in other OLs as the reason :P

This is my big fear, after 2014, Slade & Reese will be gone and Young & Kozan could be gone. I hope Coach Grimes is reminding Mr. Smith and Mr. Prince what GR was able to accomplish and point out they have a real shot a starting positions in 2015.

BTW, if we want to land B. Smith, keep him away from all the so called BBQ joints in Auburn. I lived in Shawnee, KS which borders Olathe to the north for a few years and they some great BBQ places out there. Once you become accustom to eating Kansas City style BBQ on a regular bases, the swill around here will make you cry.

This is my big fear, after 2014, Slade & Reese will be gone and Young & Kozan could be gone. I hope Coach Grimes is reminding Mr. Smith and Mr. Prince what GR was able to accomplish and point out they have a real shot a starting positions in 2015.

BTW, if we want to land B. Smith, keep him away from all the so called BBQ joints in Auburn. I lived in Shawnee, KS which borders Olathe to the north for a few years and they some great BBQ places out there. Once you become accustom to eating Kansas City style BBQ on a regular bases, the swill around here will make you cry.

I take offense to this statement. Not to be detrimental to Kansas BBQ, but to compare the two is apples and oranges. You're talking different style wood smoke, different style sauces, different style seasoning, and different style meats. Alabama BBQ has long been the bastion of slow cooked pulled and diced pork BBQ. Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas have long been bastions of red meat style BBQ because of the cattle marches during the 1800's. You just can't compare brisket and pork. /rant

He'll survive... I made it for 8 years on pulled pork from Barbecue House and Chucks before returning to the Mecca of BBQ that is KC. Plus, his folks can always have Jack Stack delivered to him, if he has serious cravings.

He'll survive... I made it for 8 years on pulled pork from Barbecue House and Chucks before returning to the Mecca of BBQ that is KC. Plus, his folks can always have Jack Stack delivered to him, if he has serious cravings.

I brought a box of Jack Stack leftovers back with me last time I was over there. The other folks on the plane probably hated me, but it was worth it. KC BBQ is incredible. I plan on flying my wife out there some random weekend just to eat smoked meats.

When I'm in Auburn, though, it's Byron's for me.

Byron's is the best Auburn has to offer.

I'm more of Mississippi/Memphis man myself. Auburn has passable BBQ though.

Also, Alex Kozan isn't going pro as a RS Sophomore. Interior linemen just don't do that. It's why Dismukes never really considered it either. It's just pretty rare for a Guard or Center to be in a position where he's a first round lock or in a position where another good year would have little to no impact on his draft stock. That happens with OTs. That's the position Robinson found himself in this year, but it's not going to happen with a Sophomore Guard. No chance.

Avery Young, maybe, I guess. He doesn't have the natural frame and power that Robinson has, and he's never played LT. If he's going to entertain turning pro early, he'd better shift to the left side and win that job because it's a different skill set. Tackles almost have to exhibit the ability to play LT in order to go early first round. That's part of the reason Matthews came back to A&M this year was to put some LT work on film, and his stock went from boarder line first to top of the draft board. Young hasn't played a snap at LT, and until he does, I expect him to stick around.

Also, Alex Kozan isn't going pro as a RS Sophomore. Interior linemen just don't do that. It's why Dismukes never really considered it either. It's just pretty rare for a Guard or Center to be in a position where he's a first round lock or in a position where another good year would have little to no impact on his draft stock. That happens with OTs. That's the position Robinson found himself in this year, but it's not going to happen with a Sophomore Guard. No chance.

Avery Young, maybe, I guess. He doesn't have the natural frame and power that Robinson has, and he's never played LT. If he's going to entertain turning pro early, he'd better shift to the left side and win that job because it's a different skill set. Tackles almost have to exhibit the ability to play LT in order to go early first round. That's part of the reason Matthews came back to A&M this year was to put some LT work on film, and his stock went from boarder line first to top of the draft board. Young hasn't played a snap at LT, and until he does, I expect him to stick around.

Boooooo. Byron's sauce is glorified ketchup. Price's BBQ House and Mike & Ed's are far superior choices.

Boooooo. Byron's sauce is glorified ketchup. Price's BBQ House and Mike & Ed's are far superior choices.

Y'all are killing me!

I live in North Carolina now. Do you even know what passes for BBQ here? It's laughable. They put ketchup in a blender with cabbage and call it BBQ slaw. That said, I would walk over broken glass for Alabama, KC, Texas or Memphis style Q on any given day. Not to sound harsh, but count your blessings, you could have to live with vinegar as sauce...

Arch, I don't judge BBQ based on the sauce. I judge it based on the meat. I'm no fan of Mike & Ed's.

Arch, I don't judge BBQ based on the sauce. I judge it based on the meat. I'm no fan of Mike & Ed's.

I will agree with you here. In judging BBQ I usually have 2 separate categories: Meat and Sauce. As far as sauce goes, Mike and Ed's is fantastic. So fantastic in fact that it tends to cover up the flavor of the meat, which if you try plain, is just that... plain. There is not a whole lot of flavor. Byron's on the other hand has very good meat, but their sauce leaves some to be desired. If you really want your tastebuds to go on a trip, get some meat from Byrons and some sauce from Mike and Eds. Delicious.

\end hijack

Talking BBQ is like talking religion. I like all types of BBQ. I would say it would be very difficult for anyone living near KC to think a place like Auburn has comparable BBQ. KC even though it is known for beef has terrific pork spots as well. KC is one of the best BBQ cities in the world. Maybe Braden can see this as an opportunity to introduce his teammates to KC BBQ.

Now this is a football forum on a serious subject like 'crootin and let me say that

some hijacks should be done.

As to MIGHTY fine Q can be had at "Dead End" in Knoxville, Tn. Went there for our game.

Just got back from the original Full Moon in BamRham and not bad, but the unknown jewel in duh Ham is Lo Lo's in Avondale.

Three tables and a drive thru. Shout out to Saw's also.

Only one tiny problem with KC BBQ.............Kansas. Other than that it is damn good. Im not much of a snob and I think Byrons' is pretty good - hopefully Braden thinks the same way I do =) Personally - I prefer to smoke my own meat and let my wife make the sauce. Tell Braden Ill cook for him if it's all about the BBQ to get him to AU.

Heck, tell him to join the team and come to our big hog roast in JHS this September. Bring your own sauce. :flame::arky:

In my defense, most of my Mike & Ed's experiences have been at the Phenix City location, which I believe is the original. And I will stand firmly by my defense of at least that particular establishment. When I get BBQ in Auburn however, it is generally at Price's.

I will agree with you here. In judging BBQ I usually have 2 separate categories: Meat and Sauce. As far as sauce goes, Mike and Ed's is fantastic. So fantastic in fact that it tends to cover up the flavor of the meat, which if you try plain, is just that... plain. There is not a whole lot of flavor. Byron's on the other hand has very good meat, but their sauce leaves some to be desired. If you really want your tastebuds to go on a trip, get some meat from Byrons and some sauce from Mike and Eds. Delicious.

\end hijack

The meat is what makes BBQ BBQ - not the sauce. I concur with both of you - while Byron's sauce is relatively watery and could be better, their meat is top notch, especially their weekend ribs which fall off the bone. Byron's is always my choice in Auburn for this reason primarily, though I have to say, their tea is excellent and not too sweet. Wish I didn't live in Bham right now actually . . .

Back to Braden Smith, I don't care what position on the line he will play - he's a good one and would be another big pickup for the excellent level of O-line depth we've amassed in the last few years.

Enough Bar-b-que fellas. I'm sure there is another thread in a different AUF forum it can be taken to.

Back to Braden Smith. He is in the air in a plane on the way to The Plains.

Enough Bar-b-que fellas. I'm sure there is another thread in a different AUF forum it can be taken to.

It might just be blind optimism and the hard core barner in me but I really feel like getting him on campus will seal this one up for us. After seeing what J.B. done with this Oline in one year, granted they came in really talented just needed polishing, I think it is a very easy sell at this point to get him to pick Auburn.

The pros for Auburn are you get a great education in a great small town, you get to play in the SEC against the best Dline competition in the country, and by coming to Auburn you will compete for championships every year. None of his other top schools can give him those same selling points. No brainer.

Hope he enjoys his time in AU this weekend!

Archived