4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braden was forced into having a ceremony with ESPN. I am sure he will contact coaches before and let them know.

How does one get "forced" into having a ceremony? Not doubting your word, just curious.

Braden was forced into having a ceremony with ESPN. I am sure he will contact coaches before and let them know.

How does one get "forced" into having a ceremony? Not doubting your word, just curious.

I can't find the story, but apparently ESPNU contacted his head coach and said they wanted to do an announcement at his school with a live broadcast. Braden didn't want to but his coach convinced him it would be good exposure for the school and for Braden himself. (I think Braden is just doing it to appease his coach and doesn't care about the exposure).

I can't find the story, but apparently ESPNU contacted his head coach and said they wanted to do an announcement at his school with a live broadcast. Braden didn't want to but his coach convinced him it would be good exposure for the school and for Braden himself. (I think Braden is just doing it to appease his coach and doesn't care about the exposure).

Thank you for this.

So often people are quick to assume that these players are going out of their way to draw attention to themselves, when in actuality it's frequently the adults in their lives pushing them towards it. Administrators/coaches who want exposure for their schools/programs, relatives who just want to be on TV, coaches at their prospective colleges who want the big splash for recruiting momentum... and even now the sports outlets have skin in the game.

I'm not saying that there aren't primadonnas out there, but there's no reason to always assume that's the case (not that anybody on this thread has).

I'll buy that. BSPN has a lot of hours to fill on signing day and if they can send the same crew to multiple schools, so much the better. There's probably another important prospect in easy driving distance of Smith's school.

Most prima donnas are easily identifiable well before any kind of signing day ceremony they may have...just sayin.

This is 100% the case. Which is one thing I absolutely love about our 2014 class. I can only think of one kid (no names but I'm sure you can figure it out) that some think may be this way. But the fact he made the decision he did tells me alot, along with the environ from which he comes, gets him a pass in my book. (Which I am sure comes as a huge relief to him :rolleyes: )

I'm rarely impressed with OL high school tape because it usually just looks like huge guys flicking away some 5'5 kid playing DL, but you can tell from Smith's video that he's athletic, quick, and smooth. Really, really hope we get this kid.

why does a high school need exposure? why does a 5* player who has offers from every team in the country need exposure?

why does a high school need exposure? why does a 5* player who has offers from every team in the country need exposure?

completly agree. I have always thought "high school exposure" was the most absolute ridiculous statement there could be in regards to children and amateur athletics.

For the high school, speaking from experience, it is cool to see a teammate get on ESPN, or even to see yourself on ESPN while they are showing the recruit's highlights. It's kinda cool to be able to go to friends from other schools and get to say "Hey, did you see we were on ESPN last night!?!?". As far as the player, while those of us who follow recruiting may know his name, his height, his weight, how many offers he has, where they come from, who he's leaning towards, what he had for breakfast on Tuesday (wait, what?), the average Joe fan probably does not. Committing on ESPN allows the kid to really get his name out there to even the least informed fan of the school he commits to.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree. War Eagle.

Is Auburn looking at Branden as a OG or OT. I got the feeling it was OT, but I admit I have not followed as much as I used to.

Is Auburn looking at Branden as a OG or OT. I got the feeling it was OT, but I admit I have not followed as much as I used to.

he can play OG or OT but Auburn are recruiting him at OT due to Greg Robinson's departure for NFL Draft.

Exposure might give other players at that school a better chance of getting scholarship offers.

As with every player we or any other team signs, the player's skills and aptitude will be evaluated after he gets on campus. His position will be determined after that. The "being recruited as" is one of the more uninformative statements in the recruiting world. In Braden Smith's case, it rather clear that he's suited to play on the OL. Other than that nobody will know until after summer workouts and perhaps into the August camp period.

Addressing the exposure question, the high school coach also gets a lot of exposure and that could well include a pay raise or a job offer at a better school. It's no wonder that any HS coach would want his player on ESPN.

Archived