***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

If I watch it then you're telling me you think we will get em. Don't like window shopping. And since we have a QB that can already paint with his balls, I'm thinking Stidham is staying in Texas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If I watch it then you're telling me you think we will get em. Don't like window shopping. And since we have a QB that can already paint with his balls, I'm thinking Stidham is staying in Texas. 

I think we have a legitimate shot. 

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And you would be wrong AGAIN. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And you would be wrong AGAIN. 

That's fine. I'm not pretending to be in the know, unlike you.

It does seem the better Sean does this year, the less likely it is we get him. Not speaking as a matter of fact, just saying it would seem the young man may look in a different direction seeing as how Sean is having such a good year. Would really like to get the guy, his potential seems thru the roof. Either way, it looks like we will be fine next year, especially if Barrett matures and develops.

1 minute ago, Timeslider 6 said:

It does seem the better Sean does this year, the less likely it is we get him. Not speaking as a matter of fact, just saying it would seem the young man may look in a different direction seeing as how Sean is having such a good year. Would really like to get the guy, his potential seems thru the roof. Either way, it looks like we will be fine next year, especially if Barrett matures and develops.

I could easily see Barrett and Queen both being legit and capable backups next year. If they're not, then they don't need to be on scholarship.

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Right now, we have 4 viable guys on the roster. One of them is officially injury prone and has never taken a snap in college, another will still only be a redshirt freshman next year and has never taken a snap in college, and another had to be pulled at halftime of the Vandy game in favor of our injured starter... who hasn't proven to be the most durable guy in the world himself. The only guy committed in this class is another "athlete" who will "get a shot at QB", and, of course, will have never taken a snap in college.

I personally don't feel that it looks like we'll be fine. Multiple 50% chances don't add up to one 100% chance. They all just add up to 50% IMO. 

• Like 1

i understand your perspective, i just think (maybe hope is a better word) that Barrett will really begin to establish himself next year, as he learns and gets reps. Maybe that is just "pie in the sky" IDK, But he seems like he has a confident, aggressive style that could translate into a good backup. I know the others you mentioned have their problems, but Sean wasn't a world beater at the first of the year and he has developed into a pretty good QB. Again, not sure, just being positive, which is my nature.

• Like 1

It shouldn't take 6 QBs on the roster to effectively fill one starting spot and one backup spot. If our five( including Trae) can't get it done, then why are they on scholarship?

1 minute ago, Timeslider 6 said:

i understand your perspective, i just think (maybe hope is a better word) that Barrett will really begin to establish himself next year, as he learns and gets reps. Maybe that is just "pie in the sky" IDK, But he seems like he has a confident, aggressive style that could translate into a good backup. I know the others you mentioned have their problems, but Sean wasn't a world beater at the first of the year and he has developed into a pretty good QB. Again, not sure, just being positive, which is my nature.

I can dig that. 

FTR, I'm also optimistic about Barrett. I just now have a Pavlovian response to my own optimism. There's an eye twitch, a shudder, some gas... it's really weird and embarrassing. 

• Like 3

Tyler Queen has never been and never will be a viable QB option at Auburn University. We need a true QB in this class. Bishop will end up playing another position. Stidham is a stud there is a reason we have been all in on him for awhile and have been putting the full court press on. I think it pays off. Whoever is not the starter out of Stidham and White next year we would finally have a legit backup and some quality depth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It shouldn't take 6 QBs on the roster to effectively fill one starting spot and one backup spot. If our five( including Trae) can't get it done, then why are they on scholarship?

I agree, it shouldn't take 6 QBs to fill 2 spots, ideally; however, practically speaking sometimes you need more than 1 backup. I'm curious though, how would you solve this issue?

8 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

This is pure fan speculation right now. In the Facebook interview he did last week he gave no indication Sean doing well will be a problem nor that he was afraid of competition. From everything he said Auburn sounded like a real good spot for him

Just now, Timeslider 6 said:

I agree, it shouldn't take 6 QBs to fill 2 spots, ideally; however, practically speaking sometimes you need more than 1 backup. I'm curious though, how would you solve this issue?

I don't know our roster numbers but one would think if we have too many QBs on roster, we are only taking spots away from other critical positions. I don't really have a maximum number but I would think 5 QBs on a roster should be more than enough. If Stidham is good enough, to beat out Sean, go for it. If not, why bother recruiting him if we have other QBs? We should've recruited the other QBs with intentions of them playing well at some point in their careers.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tyler Queen has never been and never will be a viable QB option at Auburn University. We need a true QB in this class. Bishop will end up playing another position. Stidham is a stud there is a reason we have been all in on him for awhile and have been putting the full court press on. I think it pays off. Whoever is not the starter out of Stidham and White next year we would finally have a legit backup and some quality depth.

Is there more to Queen than his injury issues? I'm genuinely 50/50 on him. He seems to me like a legit talent if he's healthy, but I'm going on super limited info. Completely agree with the rest.

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Yup, exactly.

Not sure why on earth the person you quoted thinks you only need to fill 2 spots, especially the way things have gone at the position for us several of the last 8 or 9 years. It's crazy that we have this same conversation every year. We had 5 guys coming into this season, and look how that worked out. We have no QB3 right now because one option is injured, one option is a true freshman and the other one... well, sports anthropologists and historians will be arguing over that one a century from now. 

Franklin and Bishop could both easily contribute at other positions (thus earning their scholarships :-\). If we had any depth at QB, it's not hard to imagine that Franklin already would be, and Bishop is likely on the Jason Smith plan anyway.

That leaves your presumptive starter, Queen and Barrett. Again, two of those guys have never taken a college snap. One of them isn't playing this season because of a second injury, and this one was to his throwing arm. And even if all 5 of the guys are healthy and stay at QB, the chances of 3 of them being legitimate SEC quarterbacks aren't great. That's not an Auburn problem, either. That's every school. 

And, there's the simple fact that Stidham is likely quite a bit better than most of them and seems to be a top notch kid. 

Let me ask you this: if Stidham were a senior in high school and part of the 2017 recruiting class- a class in which we only have "athlete" Tray Bishop committed- would you feel better about recruiting him? 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure why on earth the person you quoted thinks you only need to fill 2 spots

There is the starting spot and there is the backup. Two spots. That's it. If it takes six QBs to fill those two spots, we have a problem. Five should be enough. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We have no QB3 right now because one option is injured, one option is a true freshman

True freshmen can't play? JJ can't play if we need him? Why don't we have a QB3?

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Right now, we have 4 viable guys on the roster. One of them is officially injury prone and has never taken a snap in college, another will still only be a redshirt freshman next year and has never taken a snap in college, and another had to be pulled at halftime of the Vandy game in favor of our injured starter... who hasn't proven to be the most durable guy in the world himself. The only guy committed in this class is another "athlete" who will "get a shot at QB", and, of course, will have never taken a snap in college.

I personally don't feel that it looks like we'll be fine. Multiple 50% chances don't add up to one 100% chance. They all just add up to 50% IMO. 

I couldn't agree more. QB is very difficult to predict so many teams sign 4 and 5 Star QB's that don't work out.So until you see any QB playing a few games at the college Level you don't really know what you have. Any one of the ones we have might become a really good QB, or a so so QB or a flop. We don't know. We have seen SW play and we know he is pretty good. Stidham has played at Baylor so there is some knowledge of his ability.  All the others are potential only at this time.

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Look what happened when

On 11/6/2016 at 8:32 PM, AU64 said:

Just can't see either Briles coming here.  A few days ago there was a piece indicating additional problems involving football players and indications that the school will clean house no matter what at the end of the year....which means that everyone on the staff when all that took place will have a huge cloud over them.

For anyone who cares, the piece here is pretty interesting..     http://www.wacotrib.com/news/higher_education/timeline-baylor-sexual-assault-controversy/article_abf21ab8-2267-51bf-84d8-6268f4222af0.html

Sorry to be late to the party, but I read that whole thing and it in no way indicates that Kendall had anything to do with anything. At best it shows that Art Briles and his recruiters are bad judges of character. What I really get out of it is that the University is hiding something because they still refuse to release the report from Pepper Hamilton, even internally.  That, and it shows that Rice's band is about as classy as bama.

I still think Gus is looking at Kendall as our next OC and Stidham comes along for the ride.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sorry to be late to the party, but I read that whole thing and it in no way indicates that Kendall had anything to do with anything. At best it shows that Art Briles and his recruiters are bad judges of character. What I really get out of it is that the University is hiding something because they still refuse to release the report from Pepper Hamilton, even internally.  That, and it shows that Rice's band is about as classy as bama.

I still think Gus is looking at Kendall as our next OC and Stidham comes along for the ride.

I guess I could have missed it but what other schools have expressed interest in either of the Briles family? As best I can tell from looking around the Internet Auburn seems to be the only school with any open interest . I wonder why that is? 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sorry to be late to the party, but I read that whole thing and it in no way indicates that Kendall had anything to do with anything

Yeah, and there are no indications that he isn't just as guilty as his dad either. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/sports/ncaafootball/after-scandal-and-with-staff-intact-baylor-keeps-winning.html

"Grobe has done just that. He retained all of Briles’s coaches and the system they had installed, even after the university summary acknowledged that unidentified members of the football staff had been responsible for not reporting possible sexual assaults by players."

According to the board of regents’ summary of a report prepared by Pepper Hamilton, football staff members “affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics” — a direct contravention of guidelines associated with Title IX, the federal law mandating gender equity in higher education.

The coaching staff includes Briles’s son, Kendal, the offensive coordinator, and son-in-law, Jeff Lebby, who holds a variety of responsibilities on offense. They and other coaches have continued to express solidarity with Briles, who is accused of presiding over a program that made not airing dirty laundry a priority over fulfilling its legal obligations concerning sexual-assault complaints.

Edited by aujeff11

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, and there are no indications that he isn't just as guilty as his dadhttp://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/sports/ncaafootball/after-scandal-and-with-staff-intact-baylor-keeps-winning.html

"Grobe has done just that. He retained all of Briles’s coaches and the system they had installed, even after the university summary acknowledged that unidentified members of the football staff had been responsible for not reporting possible sexual assaults by players."

Since when do we make decisions by expecting someone to prove a negative?  This is the proverbial "when did you stop beating your wife?" scenario.