***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

There isn't enough information available to know whether or not Kendall Briles was at all complicit in anything that happened at Baylor, and it's easy to believe that he considers his dad innocent. It would seem that his dad considers himself innocent. Either way, there won't be any meaningful stink on the guy if we hire him as something less than a head coach, and a player who could transfer to almost any program in the country is most likely choosing to follow him wherever he goes. 

My only concern- which has already been discussed quite a bit- with hiring KB is having a head coach with a strong vision for the offense and an offensive coordinator with an equally strong but different vision for the offense. Who knows if they can peacefully coexist, especially if Hand also has heavy input? It's possible that Briles would thrive under those circumstances, but who knows. 

As for Stidham, put me in the "it would be crazy not to recruit him" camp, assuming he doesn't have any emotional, behavioral or academic red flags. I don't think he does; in fact, I'd wager that Cam and Nick both easily outpaced him in that department. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I was talking more about WDE who has flat out said it at least twice. Also JLee has strongly indicated the past few months that KB is likely necessary to get JS.

then that makes a lot more sense. I have a subscription to 247 and am getting neihburs point of view on things and not Rivals with Jlee.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There isn't enough information available to know whether or not Kendall Briles was at all complicit in anything that happened at Baylor, and it's easy to believe that he considers his dad innocent. It would seem that his dad considers himself innocent. Either way, there won't be any meaningful stink on the guy if we hire him as something less than a head coach, and a player who could transfer to almost any program in the country is most likely choosing to follow him wherever he goes. 

My only concern- which has already been discussed quite a bit- with hiring KB is having a head coach with a strong vision for the offense and an offensive coordinator with an equally strong but different vision for the offense. Who knows if they can peacefully coexist, especially if Hand also has heavy input? It's possible that Briles would thrive under those circumstances, but who knows. 

As for Stidham, put me in the "it would be crazy not to recruit him" camp, assuming he doesn't have any emotional, behavioral or academic red flags. I don't think he does; in fact, I'd wager that Cam and Nick both easily outpaced him in that department. 

For some reason I recall a comment attributed to art briles (or maybe a possible thing he would say) that Kendal would benefit from learning from Gus's run savvy coaching ... as a compliment to the briles pass first offensive philosophy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

For some reason I recall a comment attributed to art briles (or maybe a possible thing he would say) that Kendal would benefit from learning from Gus's run savvy coaching ... as a compliment to the briles pass first offensive philosophy

Interesting tidbit. Thanks!

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There isn't enough information available to know whether or not Kendall Briles was at all complicit in anything that happened at Baylor, and it's easy to believe that he considers his dad innocent

Well the Pepper Hamilton report didn't single out Art. It singled out the whole football staff, the AD, other Baylor officials, even the Baylor police department. Kendall couldn't avoid becoming aware of this top to bottom corruption of this scale even if he tried. Y'all can believe that Kendall was a good ole boy that could do no wrong, but don't put me in that camp. Hell, one kid continued playing despite the allegations. I know for a fact Kendall knew about that.

Was there an assistant coach fired? Wasn't there a report that Art tried to insulate himself from the sexual assault cases by putting the incidents off on the assistant coaches? If that's the case, and if no assistant coaches were fired, then the idea that all guilty coaches are already gone is completely false. 

Kendall's public support for his dad who happens to be the scapegoat for the predatory culture at Baylor is ill received by me as well. Art Briles is not the victim. Art Briles can go on the record and say something less vague than "I made many mistakes" if he wants me to believe  that his actions didn't affect the safety of the female student body. The many women that were sexually assaulted under his watch are the victims. Kendall should be trying to help Baylor recover from the scandals. Instead, he is promoting his dad as a martyr and getting defensive about the findings in the report like the coaching staff never did any wrong. @TitanTiger

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/11/06/brenda-tracy-baylor-should-end-season/93397246/

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well the Pepper Hamilton report didn't single out Art. It singled out the whole football staff, the AD, other Baylor officials, even the Baylor police department. Kendall couldn't avoid becoming aware of this top to bottom corruption of this scale even if he tried. Y'all can believe that Kendall was a good ole boy that could do no wrong, but don't put me in that camp. Hell, one kid continued playing despite the allegations. I know for a fact Kendall knew about that.

Was there an assistant coach fired? Wasn't there a report that Art tried to insulate himself from the sexual assault cases by putting the incidents off on the assistant coaches? If that's the case, and if no assistant coaches were fired, then the idea that all guilty coaches are already gone is completely false. 

Kendall's public support for his dad who happens to be the scapegoat for the predatory culture at Baylor is ill received by me as well. Art Briles is not the victim. Art Briles can go on the record and say something less vague than "I made many mistakes" if he wants me to believe  that his actions didn't affect the safety of the female student body. The many women that were sexually assaulted under his watch are the victims. Kendall should be trying to help Baylor recover from the scandals. Instead, he is promoting his dad as a martyr and getting defensive about the findings in the report like the coaching staff never did any wrong. @TitanTiger

Baylor fired the most successful football coach they've ever had with zero knowledge of whether his staff would carry on well without him.  They fired the president of the university as well.  If they thought another assistant was seriously involved and could come back on them, they'd be gone just like Art was.  I'd say that goes double for someone with the same last name, especially since they knew firing Daddy wouldn't go over well.

That fact of the matter is, you have no idea what Kendall or any other assistant knew or didn't know.  Even the Pepper Hamilton report you have is a summary, not the full report.  And the fact that Kendall would side with his dad and his version of events is what most people would consider normal, not troubling.  Most people would believe their father is being scapegoated here rather than believe some anonymous investigator.  It isn't some indication of deficient character, it's simply evidence that he's a normal son whose belief and biases will be for a parent over virtually anyone else.

Think whatever you want, but just understand it's you speculating, not fact.  But I will give you this as a fact...unless something more than this level of supposition comes out, it will not determine whether Kendall Briles is on the Auburn sideline wearing orange and blue next year.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It isn't some indication of deficient character, it's simply evidence that he's a normal son whose belief and biases will be for a parent over virtually anyone e

I don't blame Kendall for supporting his dad but it's got to be in private. He's sending a message of support to more than just Art when he writes CAB on his hands. 

• Like 1

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I don't blame Kendall for supporting his dad but it's got to be in private. He's sending a message of support to more than just Art when he writes CAB on his hands. 

I don't see it that way.  I think he just sees it as public support for his father, which he is entitled to do.  And if Baylor has a problem with it, they can tell him to can it or fire him.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't see it that way.  I think he just sees it as public support for his father, which he is entitled to do.  And if Baylor has a problem with it, they can tell him to can it or fire him.

Ok. We're not going to agree on hiring Kendall. Just be sure to notate I'm in the "strongly against the hire" camp until further information is available.

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

Concerning this subject matter, i am still wondering why Baylor would settle with Art Briles, for so much money, if he was so blatantly guilty. I mean if he was that guilty, then why didn't they just fire him for cause?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Concerning this subject matter, i am still wondering why Baylor would settle with Art Briles, for so much money, if he was so blatantly guilty. I mean if he was that guilty, then why didn't they just fire him for cause?

It should tell you about how strong they thought such a case was.  Conversely, look at Auburn firing Sonny Golloway.  We fired him for cause and haven't even entertained a settlement even though he's suing us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Good point. He's not exactly trying to protect his reputation or character either. Don't think I'd let the world defame my name if I was innocent.

Maybe he thinks it's a losing venture to try and go against such a ;large movement. It seems everyone immediately jumped on the accusations and didn't bother to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but it seems strange that Baylor would give him so much money if they had a strong case against him. Just saying. I'm sure he knew some of what was going on, but maybe not enough to take others word against his players. Whatever the truth is, we aren't looking at him, just possibly his son. Just trying to be objective in the absence of proof.

Edited by Timeslider 6

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

then that makes a lot more sense. I have a subscription to 247 and am getting neihburs point of view on things and not Rivals with Jlee.

Keith also posted and said many times over the months that he thought JS would follow one of the Briles to their next destination in all likelihood or at the very least not make his decision without knowing where one of the Briles end up first.

Sooooo that Sridham guy seems like a pretty cool cat. I would love to land him so at the very least we have quality QBs battling out next year with him and Sean White.

Edited by ellitor

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith also posted and said many times over the months that he thought JS would follow one of the Briles to their next destination in all likelihood or at the very least not make his decision without knowing where one of the Briles end up first.

He mainly was saying that art briles getting another job would be a gamechanger. Did not mention KB nearly as much. 

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He mainly was saying that art briles getting another job would be a gamechanger. Did not mention KB nearly as much. 

True but the last part is implicit.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Have y'all seen his freshman highlights?

Never have been confident that we'd get him to check