Is there a realistic chance Barbee is fired?

Builder

Im not a huge basketball fan but for the fun? of it I went to the TN game. The bio of Barbee in the game book that was handed out was basically several paragraphs of excuses why Auburn cant win. But there is no need to fire and hire if we cant get a coach that can make a quick and lasting impact.

For no specific reason, I kind of think he will be allowed to stick around; however, with Payne, Denson, and Dixon-Tatem all graduating I'm not sure how we can expect things to get better next year anyway so I have to admit it would be an exercise in futility IMO.

The bio of Barbee in the game book that was handed out was basically several paragraphs of excuses why Auburn cant win.

Really? I've never noticed AU put out anything like that before. Did it call out the fact nearly every member of every recruiting class has left within a year or never played?

I'm on the fence as to whether he leaves or not. AU will save nearly $2mill by keeping him one more season which isn't far off from how much the basketball program loses every year now. I'm not sure they are committed to doing what it will take to put this thing into another gear. This year's team wasn't far off from an NIT bid and showed some progression (and regression) as the year went on. Nothing would really surprise me at this point.

While the team did show some progress in the second half of the season, I do not think he is the coach of the future, but I believe he ends up staying one more year. More of a monetary savings than anything else.

There is a chance he will be fired. There is, however, no chance at all that Bruce Pearl will be our coach. It ain't happening.

I don't know what got handed out at a game to "defend" TB...but there is nothing about his resume' other than his time at AU that needs defending.

The guy was an exceptional college player, he was recently inducted into the UMass Hall of Fame, he played some pro ball in Europe, he mentored under John Calipari and was successful at UTEP before coming to AU.

I'm just saying that if you submitted his bio to AU fans as a candidate for the AU job...with the names and places removed, you would get the same positive reaction that TB got when his hiring was announced.

Did TB just forget everything he ever knew about the game when he got here....maybe? But if he is dismissed, our next coach will likely have a similar resume'.

I could see him sticking. deen was solid this year. His play was a step up at the point and he provided almost the same level of defense but provided an outside shot from the point that we lacked.

Harrell was a top sec scorer and when on was as good as anyone from outside. Not sure what to think of our future at PF.

Atewe could be solid in the middle. Provides some gerth but we need at least a little more offense from inside.

Team rebounding was consistently horrible. That can be coached and is a state of mind by people who want to be good rebounders ... ala Barkley and rodman. Not tall but tough. Ctb failed here.

I don't know what will happen but this coach has had a full 4 year cycle and there is nothing to indicate next year will be the epiphany. Time to cut bait.

I thought ctb was a good hire. Calipari lineage but he has not made it happen. Time to go to the next guy. Get another up and comer who has done well at the mid majors and hope it will work. I'd prefer an older successful guy that needs a second go around, but I think I would be in the minority there. Also it has been long enough ... If there are any restrictions anywhere with recruiting, they end to be eliminated.

For better or worse, Barbee won't be fired. If Jacobs wouldnt cut him after last season, he definitely won't cut him now. Even though AU wasn't very good, they were much more competitive this year and he had his best conference winning pct so far with a good chance to win another game in the SEC tourney. I'm on the fence with Barbee...it is so frustrating that he can't seem to recruit or keep talent on the team but on the other hand, the players he has always play hard for him and there were some glimmers of hope this year. IF...and this is a big IF...he could get a couple of OK big men and a little help off the bench, AU could be a decent team.

Outside of a huge splash hire (like Pearl), there's no need to cut ties with Barbee.

We just finished 12th (out of 14) teams in the SEC. I don't remember what his record has been each year but from year 1 to this year, there has not been any sustained improvement. I think Barbee got this year because JJ had just fired Chizik ($7.5MM) and Pawlowski (sp? and don't know what his buyout was); AU couldn't afford or wouldn't fire another coach in the same year. I don't dislike Barbee as a person, but this arrangement is not working and it is time for AU and CTB to part ways. If we were going to accept mediocrity, we should have kept Lebo at half the price of Barbee. Lebo never got to recruit with the new arena....he had to sell players on Beard-Eaves.

As long we win at least 1 game in the SEC Tournament it will show "improvement" and Barbee will likely get another year. If we lose to South Carolina though, Barbee might be let go. It will be interesting to see what happens.

to beat S Car in the tournament again would be considered improvement? Sorry, just winning SEC games against the worst team (3), which is half of your win total is not showing improvement.

BEating TAM on the road is improvement. But for 4 years this is the first win I thought was CTB beating a better team.

But he has won no games against top 30 teams I can remember.. I wish I knew that there are other top coaches out there that can make AU a contender again. That seems to be the issue as to keeping CTB another year.

to beat S Car in the tournament again would be considered improvement? Sorry, just winning SEC games against the worst team (3), which is half of your win total is not showing improvement.

BEating TAM on the road is improvement. But for 4 years this is the first win I thought was CTB beating a better team.

But he has won no games against top 30 teams I can remember.. I wish I knew that there are other top coaches out there that can make AU a contender again. That seems to be the issue as to keeping CTB another year.

Totally agree with you but I'm not sure who WOULD come to Auburn right now and be able to make us into a good team. I think if I had to make the decision I would let Barbee go but there would have to be more than just an "up and coming" coach waiting in the wings. One thing is for sure, if Jay fires Barbee he is gonna have to break out the pocketbook for his replacement.

Auburnfan91 would be technically correct about beating SC in the tourney being an improvement; AU has not won an SEC tourney game since Barbee has been here. 0-4

In CTB's 4 years here, we are 18-50 in the SEC; 26.5%. Florida won 18 SEC games this season......I don't expect us the go undefeated in the SEC but is .500 asking too much?

This year, we went 6-12 in conference play. So are you saying if we go 7-11 in the SEC next year, Barbee's job is still safe? Our AD is already a laughing stock. If this happens Jacobs will look more and more like the biggest clown of all time.

I didnt bring the game booklet home with me but it suggested that Barbee is still in process of getting the players that play his type of ball etc etc blah blah blah. Honestly from what I saw the players were kind of playing bad too. Missing rebounds, leaving guys open underneath. My guess is he's here another year to avoid pay out and to find another coach. The best part of the game was the Limbo Queen

Jay Jacobs is really good at giving head coached BIG contracts from day one insteed of making them prove to everyone that they are worth the BIG contracts after each year.

Jay Jacobs is really good at giving head coached BIG contracts from day one insteed of making them prove to everyone that they are worth the BIG contracts after each year.

1.) John Calipari, Kentucky: $4.2 million through 2018-19

2.) Billy Donovan, Florida: $3.5 million through 2015-16

3.) Mike Anderson, Arkansas: $2.2 million through 2017-18

4.) Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt: $2.1 million

5.) Anthony Grant, Alabama: $1.9 million through 2018-19

Frank Martin, South Carolina: $1.9 million through 2016-17

7.) Mark Fox, Georgia: $1.7 million through 2015-16

8.) Frank Haith, Missouri: $1.6 million through 2015-16

9.) Tony Barbee, Auburn: $1.5 million through 2016-17

10.) Cuonzo Martin, Tennessee: $1.3 million through 2015-16

Andy Kennedy, Ole Miss: $1.3 million through 2014-15

12.) Johnny Jones, LSU: $1.1 million through 2016-17

13.) Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M: $1.0 million through 2015-16

Rick Ray, Mississippi State: $1.0 million through 2015-16

I'd say that Barbee is practically at the bottom.

These are last year's numbers, but the average salary is $1.6. When you throw out Ky & Fla's numbers, the average coach in the SEC is paid $1.3/ year

JJ has been pretty quick to negotiate extensions after the first and second years. I was surprised when Barbee got his through 2017

I didnt bring the game booklet home with me but it suggested that Barbee is still in process of getting the players that play his type of ball etc etc blah blah blah. Honestly from what I saw the players were kind of playing bad too. Missing rebounds, leaving guys open underneath. My guess is he's here another year to avoid pay out and to find another coach. The best part of the game was the Limbo Queen

Thanks for elaborating. I think that tells me there is a better chance TB will be here next year.

Yes, the frontcourt play was sloppy, got a little better for the second half, but still sloppy.

Unfortunately, I think Barbee will be back next year because it makes sense financially to just keep him around another year. It doesn't make sense if you are trying to build a winning program, but I don't think the Athletic Dept looks at it from that angle.

Lord I hope his behind is hitting the road. No excuse for being that bad for that long. There is no light a the end of the tunnel. None. If anything they will be worse next year.

Archived