Twitter About Pearl. Is it True?

Weegle777

I so hope this is true!! Mikey, I appreciate where you are coming from, but I think you are a little misguided. You are welcomed to your opinion on who/what our new coach should be. College athletics, by it's very nature, is basically a sewer. No one is clean who works in it. Not Dye, not Pearl, and not our beloved Malzahn.

I would love what Pearl could do with our BB program.

The above statement is pure truth.

Wow, that is some serious cynicism right there. "Basically a sewer" huh? Well, lets just say I have to disagree with that, which is not to say that I think college athletics is a completely pure enterprise. Im not that naive but I definitely do not equate it to a sewer. Not much good comes out of a sewer, last I checked.

Having gone to the AU BBall camp as a kid, I have always hoped for more from the program than we have gotten (save for a year or two under Ellis). BP would bring back the energy, excitement, and excellence that we all want to see. (I am not a preacher contrary to that 3 point "E" segment)

• 7 years later...
1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Dude!! Donā€™t bump a thread with that title! I just had a panic attackšŸ¤£

Same here until I saw 2014 started.Ā 

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Damn, Mikey sure hated some Bruce Pearl back in the day.

If you go back to the first couple of years of the bball threads/game threads during the BP tenure, itā€™s nuts. Several calling for him to be fired, never shouldā€™ve been hired, shouldā€™ve stayed on ESPN, will never be successful at AUburnā€¦etc. Eerily similar to another athletic situation at AUburn.Ā 

• Sad 1

On 3/17/2014 at 9:19 AM, TheBlueVue said:

Wow, that is some serious cynicism right there. "Basically a sewer" huh? Well, lets just say I have to disagree with that, which is not to say that I think college athletics is a completely pure enterprise. Im not that naive but I definitely do not equate it to a sewer. Not much good comes out of a sewer, last I checked.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did a a lot of good, thwarting the evil Shredder's criminal enterprise and all.

28 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Mikey with a bad take on this board? Some things never change.Ā 

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

If you go back to the first couple of years of the bball threads/game threads during the BP tenure, itā€™s nuts. Several calling for him to be fired, never shouldā€™ve been hired, shouldā€™ve stayed on ESPN, will never be successful at AUburnā€¦etc. Eerily similar to another athletic situation at AUburn.Ā 

I thought it would be interesTinG just to rEad where people stood back then and bump the threads, But most of them were all locked, lol.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2014 at 9:43 PM, mustache eagle said:

ā€¦ I hope this hire will for once and all change the history issue. The new coach has a opportunity to truly place himself in legend category if he can create a successful program.

Pearls atl connections and our proximity could be an interesting angleā€¦

A partial quote ā€¦

I had hope ā€¦ looks like itā€™s working out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

A partial quote ā€¦

I had hope ā€¦ looks like itā€™s working out.

Great take about the Atlanta area.Ā 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2014 at 11:44 PM, gAUlf said:

He is Edmond Dantes. He is my father, and my mother, my brother, my friend. He is you, and me. He is all of us.

Gotta give some props for quoting my favorite movie of all time, even though Scott (who is a friend of mine, don't misunderstand) doesn't quite live up to V's standards.

I would like to thank the eggheads at the Ā University of Tennessee for firing Coach Pearl because we would have never had a chance at the hire without the egregious backyard barbecue infraction. Tennessee fans knew it was a stupid mistake to let him go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Dude!! Donā€™t bump a thread with that title! I just had a panic attackšŸ¤£

Same, I just almost had a heart attack.

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Mikey hates everything that isn't Mikey. That's why he's on my ignore list

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, The lions roar said:

I would like to thank the eggheads at the Ā University of Tennessee for firing Coach Pearl because we would have never had a chance at the hire without the egregious backyard barbecue infraction. Tennessee fans knew it was a stupid mistake to let him go.

Yeah, compare Bruceā€™s BBQ to Will Wade, the AAU scandals, etc. Ā  What he did was very, very mild. Ā  Anyway, UTā€™s loss has been our historic gain!!!! Ā  War Bruce!!!

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I thought this thread was something itā€™s clearly not .

Ā 

I'll admit, I got a much needed chuckle from this thread after seeing the original date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Yeah, compare Bruceā€™s BBQ to Will Wade, the AAU scandals, etc. Ā  What he did was very, very mild. Ā  Anyway, UTā€™s loss has been our historic gain!!!! Ā  War Bruce!!!

I've seen Bruce talk about that certain backyard bbq and he owns it. It would've been a mild penalty, as you stated in your post, but I think Bruce left a few things out when interviewed by the NCAA so that's why he got the worst of it. He's a better man today because of it and he said it humbled him. Thank goodness Tennessee decided to part ways with him then or we would've never gotten him. Bruce would've won at least 1 Natty at Tennessee, if not more. Having Bruce and Pat Summit at Tennessee together, they would've done big things.Ā