2015 4* LB/S Montavious Atkinson commits to AU!

metafour

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I don't know the full details surrounding this case, with the change in defensive systems, it seems like it could be a favor to both parties to pull an offer. If he doesn't fit into what AU does, it would be screwing the player and also screwing AU for giving a scholly to someone which isn't the best fit when it could be used on somebody else.

I could see where that scenario could be beneficial, but to me it presents some situations where the kid gets left out to dry:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2014/12/09/ole-miss-pulls-offer-of-olive-branch-standout-walls/20163089/

I know a lot of these kids have aspirations to go pro, but what if for instance a kid chose Auburn not only for its coaches and program, but because he aspires to be a veterinarian if football does not work out. Maybe he isn't a good fit for the defensive scheme, but Auburn University is still a great fit for him and for his family. The way schools throw offers around these days is troubling to me, as much as the way that young people treat their "commitments". Anyway, stepping off my soap box.

Doesn't it really depend on the recruit, since he already has an offer and is committed?

Partily but a new regime can make it very easy in derecruiting a commit by telling him to look around and not talking to him again. We did that with Jordan Wilkins in Gus's first class. He got the hint and moved on to Ole Miss. It happens nearly every time a new regime comes in to a team. I will be surprised if 1 or 2 of our commits are not derecruited and let go.

E, I've maintained the opinion- based on my own ignorant assumption- that him being invited on the 16th carried some weight. But did they just invite all the current commitments? It seems there are quite a few, including several of the lower-ranked guys and all of the guys who have been rumored to be soft with their commitments.

The OV invites are old. They were not made after Boom arrived.

E, I've maintained the opinion- based on my own ignorant assumption- that him being invited on the 16th carried some weight. But did they just invite all the current commitments? It seems there are quite a few, including several of the lower-ranked guys and all of the guys who have been rumored to be soft with their commitments.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks much. And thanks for sticking with us through NSD.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks much. And thanks for sticking with us through NSD.

You could always just stay forever...

I could see where that scenario could be beneficial, but to me it presents some situations where the kid gets left out to dry:

http://www.clarionle...walls/20163089/

I know a lot of these kids have aspirations to go pro, but what if for instance a kid chose Auburn not only for its coaches and program, but because he aspires to be a veterinarian if football does not work out. Maybe he isn't a good fit for the defensive scheme, but Auburn University is still a great fit for him and for his family. The way schools throw offers around these days is troubling to me, as much as the way that young people treat their "commitments". Anyway, stepping off my soap box.

You don't take a player because he's an academic fit but not a football fit. That is a sure fire fast way to get your butt fired faster than you can say HUNH. If we de let a couple of kids go don't worry about them. They will all have places to go. Monty for example will end up at UGA if it's not AU.

"And leave all this?" :)

"And leave all this?" :)/>

But I know E is doing what is right for him and his life. Just wish he could hold down this forum and keep it under control

I hope Atkinson sticks with Auburn. He's a real football player. He can gain a little weight and play OLB, he can stay trim and play safety and so forth. We WILL have a place for a talent like this. To wish him elsewhere is foolishness. We may LOSE him because plenty of other teams with the same defensive scheme as AU will run would love to have him and they are hot after him. To think he's one we'd like him to shuck off is way, way off base.

But I know E is doing what is right for him and his life. Just wish he could hold down this forum and keep it under control

I'll never do that again. Just won't have the time. However, I am thinking about as.king RIR if it's cool if we have a weekly "Ask E" thread where y'all ask questions on a Saturdays and I answer then Sundays on my down time.

I'll never do that again. Just won't have the time. However, I am thinking about as.king RIR if it's cool if we have a weekly "Ask E" thread where y'all ask questions on a Saturdays and I answer then Sundays on my down time.

Fantastic idea!

• 2 weeks later...

We batter to a better job at holding on to all of our commitments. We've had too many to slip away either on signing day or just a few days before.

We batter to a better job at holding on to all of our commitments. We've had too many to slip away either on signing day or just a few days before.

I think we are in good shape with current commits

Can somebody please take the word Star off of this title? TIA

I imagine there are a few Auburn fans who now develop a nervous tic when they hear a football position referred to as "star".

You're doing the right thing, Montavious. Auburn will make ya famous.

Archived