2015 4* LB/S Montavious Atkinson commits to AU!

metafour

• 1 month later...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we keep Atkinson now that Harbison is gone?

Soft verbal for long time but it could be factor for his recruitment after they let Harbison go.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Harbison-departure-big-deal-to-Atkinson-34461374

After hearing that safeties coach Charlie Harbison would not be there to coach him at Auburn in 2015, 4-star linebacker/safety commit Montavious Atkinson of Fairburn (Ga.) Langston Hughes admitted, “That’s kind of a big deal."

Atkinson, who committed to the Tigers in March, was contacted by new Tigers defensive coordinator Will Muschamp a few days after Muschamp was hired. But Sunday night, he told us, “I haven’t talked to them in awhile.”

According to Atkinson, the No. 9 inside backer in the 247Sports Composite, Auburn would like him to play weak-side linebacker and nickel back. The nickel is similar to the star position Atkinson was recruited to play by former Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

“It’s like basically the same,” Atkinson said. “They think I can fit in at that position — safety and linebacker -- because I’m a hybrid player. That’s what I want to play. He got on the phone and sounded just like Coach Ellis. He wanted me to come play.”

But Atkinson thought Harbison would be the person coaching him. Under Johnson, Harbison coached the star.

While Harbison was not Atkinson’s primary recruiter (that’s defensive line coach Rodney Garner), he did play an active role in his recruitment, and the two were close.

Said Atkinson: “I will get to know this other coach in his spot and hopefully I feel comfortable around him.”

Atkinson plans to call the Tigers as soon as possible (probably Monday) to discus their coaching situation.

He will officially visit Auburn on Jan. 16. Tennessee also will get an official and possibly Georgia, too, he said.

Atkinson’s best friend, teammate D’Andre Walker, committed to Georgia on Saturday.

I thought he was likely to follow D Walker to UGA?

If he does it will be quite a loss for us. Atkinson is a real football player, the kind that makes big plays at critical moments.

Young man has an understandable desire to get to know his new positional coach before he signs. Nothing wrong with that. I hope we get our new LB coach hired/announced soon.

Young man has an understandable desire to get to know his new positional coach before he signs. Nothing wrong with that. I hope we get our new LB coach hired/announced soon.

I thought CWM was going to coach LBs?

I have a feeling this guy ends up somewhere else between now and NSD. With the way our class could be filling up I think he may be one to jump ship.

I have a feeling this guy ends up somewhere else between now and NSD. With the way our class could be filling up I think he may be one to jump ship.

I was looking at the big board and realized that we might actually run tight on available slots- 8 total and definitely more targets in play than that- but my very uninformed brain didn't see LBs other than Holland taking up those remaining spots. If Atkinson did leave, I'd certainly hope that we are able to replace him with another quality LB in addition to Holland.

That said, if he really is going to be there on the 16th, that's a lot of love we're showing him. I'd hope that would solidify him.

I'm behind on the times, I guess. What I should have said is that we make sure he has a chance to talk in-depth with his future position coach, so that he can feel comfortable with the situation here.

I didn't think anything had been announced on who the lb coach is...WM could coach either LB or DB. I figure it depends on what the best assistant he can get at either position turns out to be, LB or DB coach and he would take the other. Just a guess though

I didn't think anything had been announced on who the lb coach is...WM could coach either LB or DB. I figure it depends on what the best assistant he can get at either position turns out to be, LB or DB coach and he would take the other. Just a guess though

We've already hired T-Rob to coach DB's.

His primary recruiter at Miami U - Micheal Barrow. I think he will end up at AU. ***IMO***

Is that assuming that Barrow comes to Auburn?

Phillip Marshall, Hoke and JGT just follow him on twitter.

His primary recruiter at Miami U - Micheal Barrow. I think he will end up at AU. ***IMO***

Is that assuming that Barrow comes to Auburn?

Phillip Marshall, Hoke and JGT just follow him on twitter.

So, you think he will end up at AU assuming that Micheal Barrow comes to Auburn?

edit: Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. You meant you think Barrow will come to Auburn, I thought you were talking about Atkinson. Makes sense now.

So, you think he will end up at AU assuming that Micheal Barrow comes to Auburn?

Depends on if Boom wants him. I don't know that has been determined yet. There are no reports of Boom talking to Monty since the dead period started.

Depends on if Boom wants him. I don't know that has been determined yet. There are no reports of Boom talking to Monty since the dead period started.

Doesn't it really depend on the recruit, since he already has an offer and is committed?

E, I've maintained the opinion- based on my own ignorant assumption- that him being invited on the 16th carried some weight. But did they just invite all the current commitments? It seems there are quite a few, including several of the lower-ranked guys and all of the guys who have been rumored to be soft with their commitments.

Doesn't it really depend on the recruit, since he already has an offer and is committed?

An offer can be pulled. New defensive scheme = new recruiting targets.

Archived