2015 4* RB Kerryon Johnson commits to AU!

tombigbeetiger

WTH! When the word did hurdling a defensive player become an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?!?!?

It's not unsportsmanlike conduct, its a personal foul. Hurdling in high school football is ILLEGAL. It has been for decades.

Definition: Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contact the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

(had the defender been on his knees, it wouldn't have been hurdling and it wouldn't have been a penalty.

hurdling has been loosely enforced then. I have seen it several times over the past decade in the high school ranks.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KJ was terrific last night. He is an elite athlete. His HS does not have a great defense this year. The LBs were little guys.

I think KJ will see the field somewhere next year. He was by far the most impressive kid on his team.

The QB for Leeds was a great runner but he has a long way to go learning how to throw the ball to play QB in the SEC

WTH! When the word did hurdling a defensive player become an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?!?!?

It's not unsportsmanlike conduct, its a personal foul. Hurdling in high school football is ILLEGAL. It has been for decades.

Definition: Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contact the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

(had the defender been on his knees, it wouldn't have been hurdling and it wouldn't have been a penalty.

If ever a rule should be changed, it's this one. Craziest thing I have ever heard.

Thanks for the clarification. Poor word choice on my part. I lump all 15 yards penalties as unsportsman like.

If ever a rule should be changed, it's this one. Craziest thing I have ever heard.

Just trying to keep kids for being hurt....a very dangerous move and good way for a runner to get seriously hurt if he misjudges and gets flipped. I'm good with the rule.....and home KJ doesn't try it in the future.

A dangerous move? Good grief. Why don't we just stop playing, that way we can keep our kids in a giant protective bubble where they will never be hurt. How is it more dangerous in HS, and ok in college where the players are much bigger, faster, and stronger?

A dangerous move? Good grief. Why don't we just stop playing, that way we can keep our kids in a giant protective bubble where they will never be hurt. How is it more dangerous in HS, and ok in college where the players are much bigger, faster, and stronger?

What's dangerous is getting flipped and landing on his head or neck...the game can be played hard but lots of rules are in place to keep players from being injured....and this is just one of them....what's the big deal?

It used to be illegal in college football, and may still be for all I know. I do remember it being called on a UF runner against AU back in the dim, distant past.

What's dangerous is getting flipped and landing on his head or neck...the game can be played hard but lots of rules are in place to keep players from being injured....and this is just one of them....what's the big deal?

exactly. This is NOT a new rule people. I've been calling football for 27 years and this rule was in place when I started officiating. It's a great rule and it isn't likely to be going away.

It used to be illegal in college football, and may still be for all I know. I do remember it being called on a UF runner against AU back in the dim, distant past.

It still is illegal in college EXCEPT by the ball carrier. The Ball Carrier can legally hurdle an opponent in college.

exactly. This is NOT a new rule people. I've been calling football for 27 years and this rule was in place when I started officiating. It's a great rule and it isn't likely to be going away.

It's new to most people. Most people follow college and pro football where the rule does not exist for ball carriers and if it does exist in those leagues then it's rarely if ever called.

It still is illegal in college EXCEPT by the ball carrier. The Ball Carrier can legally hurdle an opponent in college.

Have you ever seen this called in a game? I had no idea it was illegal. Then again, there's not much reason for anyone not carrying the ball to try to hurdle a player.

I saw a game last season (may have even been one of ours, my memory isn't what it used to be) where a team was penalized 15 yards for leaping over the punt protectors in an effort to block the punt. That's another one I had never heard of or seen called before. I understand why they would institute such a rule, but I always thought that happened on every punt. Is that a new rule?

Have you ever seen this called in a game? I had no idea it was illegal. Then again, there's not much reason for anyone not carrying the ball to try to hurdle a player.

I saw a game last season (may have even been one of ours, my memory isn't what it used to be) where a team was penalized 15 yards for leaping over the punt protectors in an effort to block the punt. That's another one I had never heard of or seen called before. I understand why they would institute such a rule, but I always thought that happened on every punt. Is that a new rule?

You of course recall that AU got a "do over" when an LSU defender went over the top of blockers trying to block an extra point...got called for a penalty (we had missed the kick) and then AU made the do-over to win the game 10-9 or something.

It's new to most people. Most people follow college and pro football where the rule does not exist for ball carriers and if it does exist in those leagues then it's rarely if ever called.

This!

I have been on the field when its happened TWICE in 27 years. It just isn't something that happens very often, but it doesn't make it less illegal. :lol:

This is a new rule that was put in place last year. it did happen on almost every punt, that's why it was put in place. It's a safety thing to prevent the defender from being flipped int he air and landing on his head or neck. It's referred to as the Punters shield (the two or three players lined up a few yards in front of the kicker).

c. No defensive player who is inside the tackle box may try to block a punt by

leaving his feet in an attempt to leap directly over an opponent.

1. It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up

without attempting to leap over the opponent.

2. It is not a foul if a player attempts to leap through or over the gap between

players.

PENALTY [a-c]—15 yards, previous spot and automatic first down.

[s38]

You of course recall that AU got a "do over" when an LSU defender went over the top of blockers trying to block an extra point...got called for a penalty (we had missed the kick) and then AU made the do-over to win the game 10-9 or something.

That was long before the punters shield rule was implemented. This particular play was a penalty because of the snapper protection. The center/snapper is given protection when a team is in a scrimmage kick formation.

Contact Against the Snapper

ARTICLE 14. When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player

may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the

snap (A.R. 9-1-14-I-III).

Didn't we win a game several years ago against Florida or someone because someone on thier team tried to jump over the line on an extra point or field goal. I think we missed the first one and made the second. I'm getting old and can't remember who it was.

Didn't we win a game several years ago against Florida or someone because someone on thier team tried to jump over the line on an extra point or field goal. I think we missed the first one and made the second. I'm getting old and can't remember who it was.

I believe that was LSU

I believe that was LSU

It was LSU and I remember little Nicky getting mad even though he was on the rules committee that made the rule that year.

I cannot believe no one has posted this….his plays from the weekend. Some earlier chat about these plays but check them out.

He made sports center's top ten plays with one of them. WDE.

I did not realize he made ESPN's top 10. Great for him. Thanks for the post.

I cannot believe no one has posted this….his plays from the weekend. Some earlier chat about these plays but check them out.

He also made the Not Top 10 for drinking the mustard.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11430667

He also made the Not Top 10 for drinking the mustard.

http://espn.go.com/v...lip?id=11430667

lol that is funny. Mustard works for cramps though, so does pickle juice. This Boise State player made the not top 10 last year ...The girl is looking away like "yeah, I bet I am on camera right now."image1.jpg

Archived