2014 Players Leaving (Updated: 7/20/15)

WarEagleAU

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many scholarship players do we currently have? Are these players leaving the program expected?

Roughly seven to 11 players leaving each year is normal, so I guess within that context, since we're currently at ten dropoffs, one could say they have been "expected". Now the individuals themselves may or may not have been expected, but the number leaving is about average.

OP updated: HB Gage Batten left the team.

Dang!! Didn't see that one coming....going.

A bit surprising but with Pettway and Cox at that same position, Gage would probably not get on the field. We only use HB/FB on maybe half the plays anyway. I wonder if Batten will transfer or concentrate on his degree. We have a ton of walks-ons there.

• 4 months later...

OP updated: Anthony Swain to Southern Miss and Gage Batten to Miami FL

Wasn't Batten a walk-on? Maybe he got a better deal and after AU signed Cox I guess he figured he chance for a scholarship was gone. IF that's the case, can't blame him for going closer to home. Hope it works out for him.

Wasn't Batten a walk-on? Maybe he got a better deal and after AU signed Cox I guess he figured he chance for a scholarship was gone. IF that's the case, can't blame him for going closer to home. Hope it works out for him.

Could be both. He is only FB/HB on roster right now.

Here is a pic of him.

gage-batten.jpg?w=640&h=405

Could be both. He is only FB/HB on roster right now.

Here is a pic of him.

gage-batten.jpg?w=640&h=405

Assume he is eligible to play immediately if he was not on scholarship at AU....perhaps (hopefully) his work at AU earned him some financial aid at Miami. From his bio, looks like the guy was a good student too....will probably do fine in life where ever he finishes his football playing days.

While this does seem like a lot, I don't remember seeing this thread in the past. How does this compare to years past? Especially in years where we changed coordinators?

Not trying to start another debate on allowed amount and all, but how will this affect our scholarship limits for next year's recruiting class? Will we be able to take the full 28 + EE?

While this does seem like a lot, I don't remember seeing this thread in the past. How does this compare to years past? Especially in years where we changed coordinators?

Not trying to start another debate on allowed amount and all, but how will this affect our scholarship limits for next year's recruiting class? Will we be able to take the full 28 + EE?

We won't have any extra scholarships next yer, we've used all of 2015's. Thus, we'll have the standard 25. If some of them are EE's, that's good but they cannot count back. EE or not, they will count against 2016's limit of 25. There is no "28+EE". For several years the limit has been 25 plus EE's to fill in for the prior year's shortfall below 25. If a school signed 25 that counted against the prior year, (and we did) then their limit for the current year is 25.

Normal attrition is 8 to 11 scholarship players. I've been counting this since the 1970's. I don't know where the 30 number above comes from unless it's also counting graduates. Since August 1, 2014, we have had 15 scholarship players that could have returned leave the program. That's the highest I can remember.

PS: 12 that could have returned but didn't are listed above. I get 15 from three more, Jabrien Niles, Jaylin Denson and Jackell Mitchell. I count from August 1 through July 31, so counting dates may explain the difference.

PS again: While high attrition rates have an effect on the overall 85 limit, they have no effect on how many a school can sign in a given year. If all 85 players walk off, next year's signee limit would still be 25.

We won't have any extra scholarships next yer, we've used all of 2015's. Thus, we'll have the standard 25. If some of them are EE's, that's good but they cannot count back. EE or not, they will count against 2016's limit of 25. There is no "28+EE". For several years the limit has been 25 plus EE's to fill in for the prior year's shortfall below 25. If a school signed 25 that counted against the prior year, (and we did) then their limit for the current year is 25.

Normal attrition is 8 to 11 scholarship players. I've been counting this since the 1970's. I don't know where the 30 number above comes from unless it's also counting graduates. Since August 1, 2014, we have had 15 scholarship players that could have returned leave the program. That's the highest I can remember.

PS: 12 that could have returned but didn't are listed above. I get 15 from three more, Jabrien Niles, Jaylin Denson and Jackell Mitchell. I count from August 1 through July 31, so counting dates may explain the difference.

PS again: While high attrition rates have an effect on the overall 85 limit, they have no effect on how many a school can sign in a given year. If all 85 players walk off, next year's signee limit would still be 25.

DONE.

33 on scholarships (20 has graduated and 14 attrition)

11 walk-ons (9 has graduated and 2 has left the program)

We might not be able to take the full 25 allotment as it is. According to scout.com's eligibility tracker, we have 16 seniors on the team, and I don't believe Blake Countess is on scholarship. Assuming that we have 15 scholarship players use up their eligibility, and assuming that the 33 scholarship players leaving from last year's team that I counted from the original post (I'm questioning my counting, not the OP), then that means we would only have 20 scholarship positions to fill in order to be at the same amount as we had last season.

Ergo, I don't really think this is anything to worry about at the moment. If the attrition continues, it might become worrisome, but for now I think we're good.

*Edit* One of those seniors listed is Jaylon Denson, so that would make it only 14 more scholarship players we lose...

We might not be able to take the full 25 allotment as it is. According to scout.com's eligibility tracker, we have 16 seniors on the team, and I don't believe Blake Countess is on scholarship. Assuming that we have 15 scholarship players use up their eligibility, and assuming that the 33 scholarship players leaving from last year's team that I counted from the original post (I'm questioning my counting, not the OP), then that means we would only have 20 scholarship positions to fill in order to be at the same amount as we had last season.

Ergo, I don't really think this is anything to worry about at the moment. If the attrition continues, it might become worrisome, but for now I think we're good.

*Edit* One of those seniors listed is Jaylon Denson, so that would make it only 14 more scholarship players we lose...

I think we'll have plenty of room for 25. By your counting, we would have 20 slots if there is no attrition. If only five drop out, it would be the lowest number ever in my memory. Some years as many as five have suffered career ending injuries, among the other perils that cause attrition. There is seldom a year when the numbers don't look bad at this time of year. By next summer when kids start enrolling in school we won't have enough players to take all the vacancies. That's why we're able to constantly give a few senior walkons a scholarship in August.

I think we'll have plenty of room for 25. By your counting, we would have 20 slots if there is no attrition. If only five drop out, it would be the lowest number ever in my memory. Some years as many as five have suffered career ending injuries, among the other perils that cause attrition. There is seldom a year when the numbers don't look bad at this time of year. By next summer when kids start enrolling in school we won't have enough players to take all the vacancies. That's why we're able to constantly give a few senior walkons a scholarship in August.

Oh, I understand that, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise; I was just pointing out that in spite of the number of players who left, which does seem a bit higher than normal this offseason, we shouldn't be too bad off. The only school I've ever seen with the ability to retain players consistently well enough to sign under the limit each year was USC (mostly under Pete Carroll, I think, but I don't know how much they've continued the trend), and a lot of that, I'm sure, had to do with the quality of recruits they were able to get, as well as the rate of success for getting to the NFL even without seeing the field that much. Case in point: Matt Cassel getting drafted in the 7th round after having spent his entire career backing up Carson Palmer.

But yeah, that's not relevant here. There's no doubt we'll sign, and hopefully enroll, 25 players for 2016.

*Edit* In looking back at my post, I WAS rather misleading with that first sentence, no?

Archived