A neat thing is happening at my old high school

AUDub

We just enrolled our girls there, so I'm on the mailing list. Figured I'd share it with ya'll:

At a special called meeting on Monday, June 2, Coach Josh Floyd will be presented by the Head Football Coach Search Committee as their recommendation to lead the Hewitt-Trussville High School Huskies next year. Karen Johns, Tim Salem and Pattie Neill will make the recommendation to the Board of Education Monday night at 5:00 pm.

Josh Floyd has 10 years’ experience as Head Football Coach at Shiloh Christian High School in Arkansas. His teams have a record of 99-29-1 (77%). Shiloh played in 5 consecutive State Championship games, winning state in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and finishing as State Runner –up in 2007. Coach Floyd's teams were football conference champions from 2005 – 2010. Teams coached by Josh Floyd have also finished nationally-ranked three times during the past 4 years. In January 2011, Coach Floyd coached in the High School Under Armour All-American game. The American Football Monthly recently listed Coach Floyd as one of the top 10 coaches in the country under the age of 40.

Coach Floyd was the starting Quarterback at Shiloh Christian from 1996 – 1998 under Head Coach Gus Malzhan, current Head Coach for Auburn University and one of Coach Floyd’s references for the position at Hewitt-Trussville High School. Coach Malzahn coached for Shiloh Christian from 1996-2000.

During Josh Floyd’s career in high school, he broke both state and national passing records while leading his team to the school’s 1stState Championship in 1998. Coach Floyd played in college for Ouachita Baptist University until an injury ended his playing career. He graduated in 2003 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Physical Education.

He and his wife, Kate, were married in January 2003. They have 3 sons.

Upon board approval, Coach Floyd will officially begin June 9, but on the evening of June 2 Coach Floyd will be in Trussville and the schedule will be as follows:

5:00 Board Meeting

5:45 - 6:15 meet the team in the HTHS cafeteria

6:30- 7:30 meet the community in the HTHS auditorium

Thanks for the additional info, RIR. I'm ready for some HUNH on Fridays in the fall!

I also live in Trussville and my son and daughter are in HS here. My son is a Jr this coming year and plays on the varsity team. This is a HUGE hire for Trussville and I hope it works out for him and us. We have been needing this kinda coach and system but now that we are 7A it is a must to try to level the playing field.

Not to mention it gives Gus a long time friend in the Alabama HS system. Not saying Trussville will be a pipe line of talent because believe me it won't. But it could help having a voice for his system and someone showcasing it here in Alabama. I think this will help Trussville a whole lot more than help Auburn. I do see him if he is successful maybe joining CGM at Auburn.

Another small step for CGM and Auburn to take over the State of Alabama.

Do they still have those commemorative posters for each season up in the field house? If they do, have your boy look for #93 in 2001 and #41 in 2002 and 2003.

We'll see him play this season. What's his number and position? :D

DL but they changed his number in the spring, I believe it was #93. It had me all screwed up at the spring scrimmage. He plays behind 1 or 2 great payers but he gets on the field some, hoping this year a little more. I looked on line and they still had old numbers up. He usually plays opposite McElwain and he is a beast at DE.

I don't usually think of high school coaches traveling that far for another high school job. What brings an Arkansas boy to Trussville? Does he have other connections in the area (besides Gus Malzahn)?

In any case, looks like you've got yourselves a good one! Congrats!

I don't usually think of high school coaches traveling that far for another high school job. What brings an Arkansas boy to Trussville? Does he have other connections in the area (besides Gus Malzahn)?

Makes it easier for Gus to hire him in a couple years. :big:

Makes it easier for Gus to hire him in a couple years. :big:/>

Sort of what I was thinking is but also gives Gus one of his own in Alabama High School. It might help recruiting too down the road.

Far as I can tell he has no Alabama ties, our AD was getting close to failing to get a coach and she reached out either through Gus or on her own. Her husband played for Bryant and he coached me at Erwin.

Archived