All Things AU Linebacker thread

ellitor

@ N2AU: Depends on the situation. Could be a LB too.

Yea like a dime package with K Frost left in the middle. Prob be an awesome set if you think about it. Like a Hybrid 4-3/dime.

Cass and Frost flipped positions this Spring. Cass is expected MLB now. Not sure who would play MLB in 1 LB sets though.

Just figured Frost is the most athletic of the two, could cover more ground. I think he was playing in the middle of the dime last year when he ran down JF. Think he was in a QB spy position type of thing.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Frost lost weight this off-season?

Not sure. The official site should update heights and weights in the upcoming week with practice starting tomorrow.

Has Frost lost weight this off-season?

Not sure. The official site should update heights and weights in the upcoming week with practice starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm usually all about our guys adding weight but it seemed like Frost had a little more mass on his frame than he should have last year. Just wondering if the position change would call for a change in mass.

Quoting chimesAU: "Sorry, but I just want to see some of these guys live up to the hype before I declare us "stacked". I don't care how many stars they have or what their measurables are, I want to see it on the field."

Careful there, chimes. I've been cussed from hell to breakfast for pointing out that their on-field accomplishments have been ordinary at best. I'd love to see them do it up bigtime, but our returning LB's have yet to make the long leap from where they've been to top of the line SEC players.

No Mikey, that's not the position you have expressed. Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality and we need to start freshman because the guys we have will never be all sec quality." So are you officially changing your position?

If that's what you got from my previous posts your ability to comprehend the written word leaves something to be desired.

To date, our returning linebackers have done nothing on the field to indicate they are capable of all-SEC level of play and I would not be at all surprised to see at least one of our two freshmen take over. That has been my position all along and it's very different from what you wrote above.

Quoting chimesAU: "Sorry, but I just want to see some of these guys live up to the hype before I declare us "stacked". I don't care how many stars they have or what their measurables are, I want to see it on the field."

Careful there, chimes. I've been cussed from hell to breakfast for pointing out that their on-field accomplishments have been ordinary at best. I'd love to see them do it up bigtime, but our returning LB's have yet to make the long leap from where they've been to top of the line SEC players.

No Mikey, that's not the position you have expressed. Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality and we need to start freshman because the guys we have will never be all sec quality." So are you officially changing your position?

If that's what you got from my previous posts your ability to comprehend the written word leaves something to be desired.

To date, our returning linebackers have done nothing on the field to indicate they are capable of all-SEC level of play and I would not be at all surprised to see at least one of our two freshmen take over. That has been my position all along and it's very different from what you wrote above.

Did you not watch the BCSNG? Frost and Cas balled out in that game!

Explain how?

Me: "Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality..." "

You: "To date, our returning linebackers have done nothing on the field to indicate they are capable of all-SEC level of play..."

Lot more words same message.

Me: " "...we need to start freshman because the guys we have will never be all sec quality." "

You: " I would not be at all surprised to see at least one of our two freshmen take over."

Hold Up!!!!

please-stop-o.gif

84905-judge-judy-gif-are-you-trying-FYwK.gif

Nitpicking here but I do see a difference.

Mikey said that they've shown nothing on the field to indicate that they can be All SEC caliber not that they can't or won't ever be All SEC caliber. There is a difference.

Mikey said that they've shown nothing on the field to indicate that they can be All SEC caliber not that they can't or won't ever be All SEC caliber. There is a difference.

But, if you start freshman at what point do the vets get to show that they have developed into better Lbs? I've never seen a second string All SEC LB.

Next thing if we start true freshman we will go through the exact same growing pains and soon be ready to discard those LBs for more true freshman. It is a viscous cycle that won't be broken until we develop All SEC LBs.

For the record, our returners haven't shown a whole lot on the field but I do think there's a good bit of talent there. I would be absolutely shocked if a Freshman earned a starting role this season.

But if you start freshman at what point do the vets get to show that they have developed into better Lbs?

Fall camp?

But if you start freshman at what point do the vets get to show that they have developed into better Lbs?

Fall camp?

According to Mikey fall camp and practice is where the LB's need to be replaced so our defense can have a chance to compete.

For the record, our returners haven't shown a whole lot on the field but I do think there's a good bit of talent there. I would be absolutely shocked if a Freshman earned a starting role this season.

I agree that they need to step up more. However to say they haven't shown that ability is not what I have witnessed. I have seen them Frost, McKinzy, Swain, and Mitchell look excellent at points. I have also seen some pieces around them that not look quite up to par but those pieces have since moved on. No matter how good the freshman were in high school, this is a completely different level.

I agree that they need to step up more. However to say they haven't shown that ability is not what I have witnessed. I have seen them Frost, McKinzy, Swain, and Mitchell look excellent at points. I have also seen some pieces around them that not look quite up to par but those pieces have since moved on. No matter how good the freshman were in high school, this is a completely different level.

You never know, Williams could be our Rolando McClain, (without the mental drama), was to bama, he did start as a true freshman.

You never know, Williams could be our Rolando McClain, (without the mental drama), was to bama, he did start as a true freshman.

If Williams showed enough to start this year I'd be shocked. Don't know if that'd be a good sign for Williams or a bad sign for our other LBs...

If Williams showed enough to start this year I'd be shocked. Don't know if that'd be a good sign for Williams or a bad sign for our other LBs...

Competition brings out great desire in others to do as well, so let's just say it will be a positive instead of a negative.

That in essence is the great debate.

I'll probably get absolutely blasted for this but here goes...

I'm extremely excited about Tre Williams signing with AU because he's the traditional "Alabama" type LB. Smart,big, physical...no real holes in his game. Most of the guys we've signed over the past 5-7 years have been talented but always seemed to have some kind of "if" involved...whether physical or mental. The guys the bammers are churning out are solid, if not phenomenal, all around 'backers. I've always seen TW in that same mold. I realize it's a touchy issue but it's been in the back of my mind since he committed. I have extremely high hopes for him.

I'm extremely excited about Tre Williams signing with AU because he's the traditional "Alabama" type LB. Smart,big, physical...no real holes in his game. Most of the guys we've signed over the past 5-7 years have been talented but always seemed to have some kind of "if" involved...whether physical or mental. The guys the bammers are churning out are solid, if not phenomenal, all around 'backers. I've always seen TW in that same mold. I realize it's a touchy issue but it's been in the back of my mind since he committed. I have extremely high hopes for him.

You should not be blasted for speaking the truth.

You should not be blasted for speaking the truth.

Facts are facts, they have had some great linebacker play. Thus they have had some great defensive numbers. I think we are on that track and I really am holding out making any judgements on our LBs until I see what they do this year. We do have to remember bama has had the same defensive system for about 8 years now. Been a few since ours has been the same.

No Mikey, that's not the position you have expressed. Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality and we need to start freshmanbecause the guys we have will never be all sec quality." So are you officially changing your position?

Explain how?

Me: "Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality..." "

You: "To date, our returning linebackers have done nothing on the field to indicate they are capable of all-SEC level of play..."

Lot more words same message.

Me: " "...we need to start freshman because the guys we have will never be all sec quality." "

You: " I would not be at all surprised to see at least one of our two freshmen take over."

Hold Up!!!!

I'll make it simple for you, Sport. Find a direct quote of mine where I made the unqualified statement that any freshmen should start. Find a direct quote of mine where I made an unqualified statement that the current LB's will never be all-SEC quality. Paste the quotes here with a link to where you found them. Until you do that, stop putting inaccurate words in my mouth. If you can't find the quotes (and you can't because I never said those things) then it means you belong in a category with several other Texans I've run across, "All hat, no cattle".

I'm with you all the way. Tre seems to have all the physical tools for the linebacker spot. And the best thing about him seems to be his confidence. I have a feeling he is going to go all out for Auburn and fear nothing.

That's simply not true. Cass McKinzy led the SEC Champs in tackles last season as a true sophomore. Kris Frost ran down the defending Heisman winner to seal the win against TAMU. I'd say both are indicators that they are capable of All-SEC level play. That does not mean they are guarantees, only that they are indicators, and those are not the only two indicators of such. The position change seems to fit each of them better, as Frost's speed makes him more ideal for the outside and McKinzy's instincts and size seem more suited for MLB, and there are plenty of smaller things from their play on the field last year to back that up.

See, this is my problem with the stances you have taken regarding AU linebackers. You are constantly negative, constantly degrading, constantly pointing out every flaw possible, but consistently neglecting anything good that might come out of it. I remember you saying something along the lines of how Tre Williams was the best Auburn linebacker LAST year, and your unequivocal belief that he (and possibly Davis) would be starting this season. I also remember rant after rant about how Auburn doesn't have enough linebackers, because the ones on the roster aren't up to par, so we need to sign at least 4 or 5 EVERY YEAR until that is taken care of (never mind that there are only two true linebacker positions on the roster).

Now, would you like to issue that challenge about going back and finding your exact words to me? Because if it will shut you up, then I will be GLAD to do so.

Archived