English Premier League fans?

InfernoOrangeSS

10 points should do it, but winning against Arsenal would make it seem inevitable. I actually think if Chelsea beat Arsenal, they are 1 more win away from making it official.

I watched a lot of the Chelsea v. Man U game. It wasn't pretty at all, unless you like a defense that completely smothers the other team's offense. :laugh:

Honestly, 'the Special One' is a great coach; just not one I like at all. A little too much out of the Bellichik/Saban mold for me.

@IOSS -- I think the manager and the fans are committed to winning. I have some doubts about some of the players and Fenway Sports Group. I think the latter are more committed to making money. I hope I am wrong. YNWA!

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool will find Gerrard harder to replace than many think. Rogers is likeable but his substitution timing is odd sometimes and let's face it, his prior resume is mixed results head coaching only promotion/demotion level teams. Fenway Group IMO is a bit too into anachronistic formulas, making sure there are certain "types" in the club. The promising yet unproven Brit but non-English coach (kept Dalglish around much too long), the bad boy striker, the teenage local-boy-made-good midfielder and/or defender who sells tickets but is boarderline non world class. I've followed Liverpool since before Ian Rush came in 1980.

Liverpool will find Gerrard harder to replace than many think. Rogers is likeable but his substitution timing is odd sometimes and let's face it, his prior resume is mixed results head coaching only promotion/demotion level teams. Fenway Group IMO is a bit too into anachronistic formulas, making sure there are certain "types" in the club. The promising yet unproven Brit but non-English coach (kept Dalglish around much too long), the bad boy striker, the teenage local-boy-made-good midfielder and/or defender who sells tickets but is boarderline non world class. I've followed Liverpool since before Ian Rush came in 1980.

I bow to your superior knowledge of LFC. I am a fairly new convert to BPL Fütball. (I was a cursory fan of the league after enjoying the 2010 WC. I became an LFC fan after watching the ESPN special, "Hillsborough", I highly recommend this special if you can find it on TV.)

I can't say I disagree with any of your analysis of the club.

YNWA!!

@IOSS -- I think the manager and the fans are committed to winning. I have some doubts about some of the players and Fenway Sports Group. I think the latter are more committed to making money. I hope I am wrong. YNWA!

Spot on.

YNWA!

crap forgot Chelsea was on TV today. 3-1 win just about does it................

Yep -- don't forget that Duff is playing Rory in the opening round of the WGC Match Play (right now on Golf Channel).

Interesting argument in defense of Rodgers.

I wouldn't mind if he returned.

Yeah, I'd be for it, actually. But I really want us to do better in the transfer market this off-season. What to do with Lovren, who may have actually been our best player the past two games?!

With our draw against the Blues at Stamford Bridge today, we're effectively out of the top 4 this season.

:sad2:

Yeah. I felt it was coming, but still hated to see it happen when it actually did. :(

YNWA!

Love the Blue

Congrats friend. I'm not a fan of the team, but I do love to see how good they produce.

YNWA!

Thanks SS.... to this day could not tell you why I became a Blues fan but I did in 1971 while going to Auburn. Sundays could get English/South American soccer on PBS in black and white TV with rabbit ears if I could find the right spot turning those damn antennas. The announcers were fantastic had deep South American Spanish accents and when they yelled goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll it would seen chills down my neck.

Thanks SS.... to this day could not tell you why I became a Blues fan but I did in 1971 while going to Auburn. Sundays could get English/South American soccer on PBS in black and white TV with rabbit ears if I could find the right spot turning those damn antennas. The announcers were fantastic had deep South American Spanish accents and when they yelled goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll it would seen chills down my neck.

You are most welcome, my friend! I don't go back that far. I became a Liverpool fan after being a casual Futball fan for a long time. I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 titled "Hillsborough" and just took a liking to the team.

The goooooaaaaaaalllllll! thing was started by Andres Cantor in the '90s. Toby Charles with "Soccer Made in Germany" on PBS was a hoot. IMO the gap between UEFA semi-finalist-caliber clubs and the rest of the world is as big as it has ever been. Real Madrid, Juventus, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea, etc are just phenomenal virtually every game. Chelsea getting clocked last week by West Brom notwithstanding... :big:

• 2 months later...

I enjoy watching the early 6:45 and 9:00 games, then rolling right into "real" football at 11:00 ... let it all begin this weekend! Go Blues! Chelsea have all the makings of a Champions League team this year. Get a feeling there will really be some solid parity in the top 4-6 teams this year.

Heck, with some of these mid-year MLS signings, it may even be tolerable to watch more than moments at a time. Am hoping that the big names will make it easier for the casual fan to watch a wider cross section of the teams. Have already watched some NYCFC and Orlando because the aging internationals are still seriously good.

Archived