Week 5 (Auburn vs. La Tech) - Wednesday Updates

RunInRed

Via the SEC Teleconference ...

Gus Malzahn now on SEC teleconference. "We have Louisiana Tech, a very solid team. ... Looking forward to playing Louisiana Tech."

Malzahn on team's tempo: "We didn't get a lot of first downs like we normally do." Also said officials "moved slower than we were used to."

Malzahn said the team wasn't able to get to use the different packages the team had for Jeremy Johnson last week.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn: "In our league, our guys (officials) do a great job putting the ball down. It was a little slower (w/ Big 12 officials) than we're used to."

Malzahn: "We've done a very good job against the run. At times against the pass too, just workin' on putting more pressure on QB."

@BarrettSallee

Malzahn says Auburn has really focused on getting better and has had solid practices this week

@ITATJason

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says QB Nick Marshall has improved because he's found "overall confidence and comfort zone with the offense."

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn says he's been "happy" with Nick Marshall's decision making on zone read.

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn on any problems w/ OL: "All of our coaches, each position, we're trying to perfect our craft and we're trying to focus in on that."

@AUBlog

Post-practice notes ...

Phillip Marshall/247 Sports (via YouTube)

Malzahn now here. "It was a solid practice today. ... If you combine it with yesterday, it was probably two of the best days we've had."

@wareagleextra

Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson will "play more and more as the season goes on," said Gus Malzahn after Wednesday's practice

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn: Hope is for Sammie Coates to be at 100 percent on Saturday

Could Auburn pass to Jeremy Johnson? "In 2010, we threw it to Cam Newton for a touchdown. So we may."

@JamesCrepea

Is it typical for cross-conference games to be officiated by the home team's conference officials? I thought in a game like the AU-KSU game we would've pulled a crew from the Pac-12 or something.

Is it typical for cross-conference games to be officiated by the home team's conference officials? I thought in a game like the AU-KSU game we would've pulled a crew from the Pac-12 or something.

mostly I bet they officials come from the home team's conference....but it sure looked like those Big 12 guys had a mission in mind the way they called the game. No way Baylor of one of those up-speed schools could have run 90 plays with that crew on the job.

Im not sure we would have had the batted balls if JJ was in. He is 6'-4" and throws so much higher than NM. AU will get the throwing lanes straightened out, but I don't think we will have to worry about it next year.

Im not sure we would have had the batted balls if JJ was in. He is 6'-4" and throws so much higher than NM. AU will get the throwing lanes straightened out, but I don't think we will have to worry about it next year.

This ^

Not a diss on nick btw

This ^

Not a diss on nick btw

That would seem logical on the surface, except Lashlee blamed 2 of the 3 tips on the coaches and the OL.

mostly I bet they officials come from the home team's conference....but it sure looked like those Big 12 guys had a mission in mind the way they called the game. No way Baylor of one of those up-speed schools could have run 90 plays with that crew on the job.

Typically you would see the traveling teams officials instead of the home team.

Not to derail the thread, but B12 refs were used in this game because when we played KSt last time in Auburn(2007), we used SEC refs.

Blame CTT for that one.

Now, about La Tech?

typically you get a holding call when your DLinemen get shirts ripped off. not one penalty that stood! how many college football teams play a penalty free game per year?

This ^

Not a diss on nick btw

Batted balls are 100% on the o-line. The o-line is supposed to maintain contact on that type of pass play. Ours did not. Four inches of QB height wouldn't have mattered anyway, they were hitting those balls with their helmets and elbows.

Could Auburn pass to Jeremy Johnson? "In 2010, we threw it to Cam Newton for a touchdown. So we may."

Was that what they were trying to do when they put him at WR thursday?

AU planned to use JJ in more packages last year as well but it never really materialized. I think "package plans" tend to go out the window when your team is in the midst of a close game and every play counts. We saw that last year with so many close/high-scoring games. ...and we saw what can potentially happen when you start monkeying around with the offense in the midst of last Thursday's tough game... I suspect this year will be no different than last year in that we'll hear every week how they want to get JJ or Roc or Barber more PT but with the upcoming schedule, AU's gonna be in a lot of dog-fights and Gus will stick with what he's comfortable with (which, so far, gets results!). Personally, as long as they're coming away with W's every week, I can wait 'til next year to see JJ and Roc.

not sure but i think it only happens when it's a neutral site game...could be what the schools decide when they set the match-up

I agree with Rhett. Two of those batted balls came on three-step drops. It's the OL's job to engage or cut the defensive linemen to get their hands down. They didn't do it, and the balls were tipped. One of them was probably on Nick telegraphing a pass, but honestly, sometimes, defenders just make good plays. JJ Watt tips balls all the freaking time. I'm pretty sure that's not solely because the OL sucks or the QB is short. Sometimes, you tip your cap. On a three-step drop, though, the OL has to get engaged.

I agree with Rhett. Two of those batted balls came on three-step drops. It's the OL's job to engage or cut the defensive linemen to get their hands down. They didn't do it, and the balls were tipped. One of them was probably on Nick telegraphing a pass, but honestly, sometimes, defenders just make good plays. JJ Watt tips balls all the freaking time. I'm pretty sure that's not solely because the OL sucks or the QB is short. Sometimes, you tip your cap. On a three-step drop, though, the OL has to get engaged.

I saw somewhere that Coach Grimes mad an adjustment at halftime, which is why we didn't see the batted balls in the 2nd half. That would seem to support your thoughts above.

I saw somewhere that Coach Grimes mad an adjustment at halftime, which is why we didn't see the batted balls in the 2nd half. That would seem to support your thoughts above.

We started cut blocking for the quick passes.

But can we all agree JJ throws a much higher ball than NM? I noticed it during practice videos. JJ throws the ball a good 2-3" higher than NM. That doesn't even take into consideration the height difference.

But can we all agree JJ throws a much higher ball than NM? I noticed it during practice videos. JJ throws the ball a good 2-3" higher than NM. That doesn't even take into consideration the height difference.

Their throwing mechanics are different. NM does have a flatter delivery while JJ is an "above the head" passer. It's mainly a function of how they naturally grip the ball.

Wow -- you can see a 2-3 inch difference in the height of their passes on practice video?!

:poke:

J/k. I'd like to see a little more touch on some of NM's throws.

Archived