Affordable Losses?

WFE12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. In the championship playoff chosen by a committee, there is no game that is an affordable loss...unless you're Bama. I don't think with us as a 1 loss team, and the other conferences having undefeated teams we would go. I do however think Bama would. They have a longer history and the media cant get enough of Saban. For example, we beat the #19 team in the nation at their place and dont move in the polls. They beat the #46 team in the country and move to #1 in the coaches poll. It's about respect and as of now, nationally, we are an afterthought with the media. If you watch a sports channel, you will hear all about Bama, Miss St, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Very little conversation about Auburn. We have to win, win and win some more to get into the conversation. Win this week and we become more relevant as 2 of those teams will lose their luster with loses.

i say there wont be but maybe 2 noteworthy undefeated teams, bammer will lose, F$U will lose, oklahoma will lose, heck i say oregon could very well lose tomorrow!

Have you looked at FSU's schedule? I can't see them losing to anyone other than ND (their only ranked opponent) and that's just wishful thinking.

Georgia (regular season) or South Carolina loss and we still control our own SEC destiny, so one of those wouldn't kill us. LSU loss and we could provided they lose again or Miss St. only loses to us (we'd almost definitely get the tie-break).

A Michigan St win over Nevraska this week greatly improves the chances of a 1-loss SEC team getting in. So it looks like we are all Sparty fans again this weekend.

Most probable playoff scenario at this point:

Oregon/ UCLA

FSU/ Notre Dame

Oklahoma/ Baylor

SEC West ( -Arkansas + Georgia)

Have you looked at FSU's schedule? I can't see them losing to anyone other than ND (their only ranked opponent) and that's just wishful thinking.

ND wins... book it!

If you had an undefeated FSU, Nebraska, Oregon/UCLA, and Oklahoma/Baylor I'll bet the committee would do it in a heartbeat.

Maybe, but when was the last time there were four teams from power conferences who were undefeated? Utah was in the Mountain West in 04, and had they been in the Pac 10/12, they would have played USC anyway, so one of them would have had to lose.

And to be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are no undefeated teams this year.

I understand the original point of this thread, and I've thought about the same thing. Aside from tiebreakers to get into the SECCG, I think it all comes down to timing. IMO, as long as we don't lose after the Ole Miss game (and assuming we're undefeated heading into that matchup), then I think we're in.

Glad to see the playoff system hasn't diminished the need to win every week like most people said, oh this will be like the NFL blah blah. I think even if you went to 8 teams the need to win is still there but it allows you a margin of error because at times everyone has a slip up or a game that just didn't go their way.

Alabama/LSU for the MNC a few years ago proved to us "On any Given Day"

The only acceptable lose is to MSU/Alabama/TAMU provide they go undefeated. That would give us or anyone else in the West a chance. This weekend will shake it all up I think the committee is sitting back and just waiting to see what happens because they don't need to speculate they actual control it so they don't really care until they first release of standings from them and even then they knew it will figure itself out.

However: 8 one lose teams really makes it hard

Glad to see the playoff system hasn't diminished the need to win every week like most people said, oh this will be like the NFL blah blah.

I never bought that, either.

as much as i hate to say it we're more than likely going to lose a game and at first i said that game would be miss st. and that game is seeming all the more scary now with how they're playing and that we will have to hear those stupid cowbells all night.....then I said texas a&m but having that game at home helps a bunch and now I guess......I'll say moo st. but hopefully i'm wrong.

With are sced,one..wed climb right back up the polls,look at what we face

yeah that's why im not as worried just sayin' that will more than likely be the loss...

Have you seen them play at all this year. They have looked like crap in 3 of their games so far. It's going to catch up to them eventually. Their defense is horrible and their offense starts off too slow. I still say they lose 2.

Is there an interpreter present? Damned if I can decipher that....

any of yall think we win every single game in regular season AND playoffs?

I don't think any team makes it out of the SECW without a loss. Doesn't matter if any of them have the "best" team or if our Tigers are the best team. With so many good teams, the way that funny shaped ball bounces and the unpredictable nature of human beings on any given day, I think getting through this schedule without a loss like flipping a coin and calling it correctly six, seven or eight times in a row. It could happen. Our Tigers will need some luck at some point along the way to do it.

Is there an interpreter present? Damned if I can decipher that....

I'm glad you noticed that. I thought maybe I was losing my mind when I saw that.

Have you seen them play at all this year. They have looked like crap in 3 of their games so far. It's going to catch up to them eventually. Their defense is horrible and their offense starts off too slow. I still say they lose 2.

So who do you think they lose to cause I'm not seeing it. ND? maaaaybe, I don't know if they are even a decent team or not. The rest of the ACC is a complete joke and that's all they have left to play. In other words, the one eyed man is king of the blind.

I think it might have been K State. Had we lost that one and won all the rest we'd have been able to recover since it was the 3rd game. From this point onward I don't think we can lose any and get in the playoff. I know that's a tall order, but I think that's the situation Auburn is in. Some other teams could lose one and make it but we will NOT be allowed in if we lose one now.

Alabama/LSU for the MNC a few years ago proved to us "On any Given Day"

Florida/FSU proved it in 96, when the Noles beat UF to end the regular season, but Florida beat Bama in the SECCG and then thwarted FSU in the Sugar Bowl...

So who do you think they lose to cause I'm not seeing it. ND? maaaaybe, I don't know if they are even a decent team or not. The rest of the ACC is a complete joke and that's all they have left to play. In other words, the one eyed man is king of the blind.

You must mean if Jameis continues to be on the field despite off-the-field allegations and report of continued investigation. Definite wild card. That volcano could erupt any time...

Archived