So Ebola and Big Pharmacy...In Bed Together?

Texan4Auburn

Well yes profit is a motive. What of it? Are they supposed to lose money and just give everything away?

You tell me.....I suggested profit and motive go together and was called repulsive and despicable.

So if we are going to turn it into some moral high ground thing.... then yes. They should of lost money and gave it away and then there would already be a solution to this problem.

If we are sticking to profit is a motive, then it is fair to question a company that has already demonstrated highly unethical conduct in regards to lives for profit.

A close to home example. The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment conducted by the US government's Public Health Service, Tuskegee Institute, and later the CDC that ran from 1932 to 1972 and only stopped when a PHS whistle blower leaked evidence to the press in the early 1970s. Penicillin was the treatment of choice as early as 1947, but it was denied to the participants. It was the Federal government and Tuskegee that pushed and continue to operate this study for 40 years until they were outed. Their was no profit motive, just a lack of government and medical ethics.

This on uses a legit example from many years ago to substantiate the OP.

cptau is far from liberal. Even then, was he substantiating the OP?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes profit is a motive. What of it? Are they supposed to lose money and just give everything away?

You tell me.....I suggested profit and motive go together and was called repulsive and despicable.

So if we are going to turn it into some moral high ground thing.... then yes. They should of lost money and gave it away and then there would already be a solution to this problem.

If we are sticking to profit is a motive, then it is fair to question a company that has already demonstrated highly unethical conduct in regards to lives for profit.

A close to home example. The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment conducted by the US government's Public Health Service, Tuskegee Institute, and later the CDC that ran from 1932 to 1972 and only stopped when a PHS whistle blower leaked evidence to the press in the early 1970s. Penicillin was the treatment of choice as early as 1947, but it was denied to the participants. It was the Federal government and Tuskegee that pushed and continue to operate this study for 40 years until they were outed. Their was no profit motive, just a lack of government and medical ethics.

This on uses a legit example from many years ago to substantiate the OP.

cptau is far from liberal. Even then, was he substantiating the OP?

Are you saying Conservative don't do conspiracies? LOL.

Are you saying Conservative don't do conspiracies? LOL.

He almost certainly won't go by the "typical rules for radicals" playbook. ;)

" The back and forth on this thread (most threads) is humorous at best, some of you are way too serious and get your pants into a bunch over nothing"

" I think the OP may have veered a little off course into the nutty"

Channoc pretty much summed up the forum. :big:

Big Pharmaceutical companies have been accused of a lot of things but geez. I think I see now why your thinking on health care issues is the way it is.

Cooltigger21, I agree. This is one of the most repulsive posts I have ever seen on this Forum. To blindly accuse a group of people of killing other Americans for profit with no proof is despicable. I'm shocked the post has not been removed by the admins.

It was serious? :gofig:

Can you make a coherent sentence? If by "It", you mean Texas4Auburn, the OP has no link.

"it" = the original post

As in, "the original post was serious?"

Seems intuitive to me. But if you need further explanation, don't hesitate to ask. (I prefer that over a stupid insult.)

Homer, wanted to say I looked back at my post and wanted to say I'm sorry. I totally misread your post. At the time, I was very passinate about my position and next time I'll step away from the keyboard for a few minutes before hitting the post button. Sent you a PM too.

This is hilarious.

The OP was obviously not meant to be serious.

But it's not because of the implicit moral principals. Just look at the Tobacco Industry for examples of profiteering off addiction and death, as an example.

The drug companies don't even have an answer for Ebola. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason to think a large outbreak in this country is even possible. This disease won't be fought with drugs. It will be controlled with isolation procedures and aseptic handling of those who are exposed.

This is hilarious.

But it's not because of the implicit moral principals. Just look at the Tobacco Industry for examples of profiteering off addiction and death, as an example.

The drug companies don't even have an answer for Ebola. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason to think a large outbreak in this country is even possible. This disease won't be fought with drugs. It will be controlled with isolation procedures and aseptic handling of those who are exposed.

Unforutunately if you read all the post in this thread it was a serious post and both sides of the political spectrum have acknowledge that. T4A is even trying to back off it a little too.

This is hilarious.

Unforutunately if you read all the post in this thread it was a serious post and both sides of the political spectrum have acknowledge that. T4A is even trying to back off it a little too.

What I see is you taking it seriously. Really, demanding evidence and citing forum rules? For this??? :-\

This is hilarious.

What I see is you taking it seriously. Really, demanding evidence and citing forum rules? For this??? :-\

I'm not really demanding evidence because there is none. I've seen you and few others get cranked up for a lot less. LOL.

You say you weren't really serious ok I'll take you at your word. It's just that there are so many people that believe that corporations in general and drug companies in particular are out to screw their customers over or even kill them. The way it was posted made it seem as though you believed that was possible.

FWIW, I didn't take his post as serious. I just read it as a hypothetical to put out there for discussion. Something that is within the realm of possibility but not that he had actual evidence it was happening.

FWIW, I didn't take his post as serious. I just read it as a hypothetical to put out there for discussion. Something that is within the realm of possibility but not that he had actual evidence it was happening.

Titan,

Thanks for commenting and I know as a Mod you wish to error on the side of free speech. I believe a person’s right to free speech does not cover slander and I believe the statements in this post qualified as such.

I guess I haven’t been in this forum long enough to see this type of extreme view by other posters, but now that I have, I understand there are virtually no limits. In the future, I will just point out the extreme views for what that are.

If you read the OP I can see why you didn’t view the OP as serious and that why I didn’t comment until this post reached 2 pages. If you read the other post in this tread you will see posters did respond in a way that indicated the OP was serious.

Here a few comments by other posters besides me.

A response to another poster who tried to justify the OP.

That link is not credible at all. Fun if you love keeping up with quackery, but bat**** insane.

Big Pharmaceutical companies have been accused of a lot of things but geez.

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

T4A. You're in infowars territory here.

It's extreme but it's allowed.

Report it to the mods if it bothers you that much. As I said earlier, though, this particular subsection of the forum is, by nature, very different from others. We are given broad latitude to share our opinions. Even if they are, well, nuts.

You say you weren't really serious ok I'll take you at your word. It's just that there are so many people that believe that corporations in general and drug companies in particular are out to screw their customers over or even kill them. The way it was posted made it seem as though you believed that was possible.

I'll never understand this mentality that all "big" corporations are trying to kill us or screw us or whatever. Dead people don't spend money and people you screw over likewise usually don't give you any more of their money. And at the end of the day that's what corporations have to have to survive, people willing to give them money on an ongoing basis in exchange for whatever goods or services that company provides. Would it be logical for the local BBQ joint to shoot all their customers after they pay for their meal? How about instead of shooting them the local BBQ joint just takes their wallets, pistol whips them, and then throw them out? No? Sounds absurd, right? OK, then it's equally absurd to think the same about "big" companies.

I'll never understand this mentality that all "big" corporations are trying to kill us or screw us or whatever. Dead people don't spend money and people you screw over likewise usually don't give you any more of their money. And at the end of the day that's what corporations have to have to survive, people willing to give them money on an ongoing basis in exchange for whatever goods or services that company provides. Would it be logical for the local BBQ joint to shoot all their customers after they pay for their meal? How about instead of shooting them the local BBQ joint just takes their wallets, pistol whips them, and then throw them out? No? Sounds absurd, right? OK, then it's equally absurd to think the same about "big" companies.

Well, the tobacco industry never minded killing their customer base. There is a logical basis to your comment but, in reality, there is also plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Well, the tobacco industry never minded killing their customer base. There is a logical basis to your comment but, in reality, there is also plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Tobacco is the only industry that has for years knowingly put out a product that if it's used as intended will by itself kill the person who is using it.

Tobacco is the only industry that has for years knowingly put out a product that if it's used as intended will by itself kill the person who is using it.

That is a very absolute statement and, such absolutes are often incorrect. What would you say about the GM ignition switch situation? Would that not be another example? What about asbestos? Now, aren't there actually thousands of examples of companies endangering health and safety in order to protect profits?

That is a very absolute statement and, such absolutes are often incorrect. What would you say about the GM ignition switch situation? Would that not be another example? What about asbestos? Now, aren't there actually thousands of examples of companies endangering health and safety in order to protect profits?

In a word...Yes and, Big Pharma does not get a pass.

That's nothing. What about the number of people on here who sincerely believe that global warming is a hoax perpetuated by the international scientific community? :rolleyes:

That's nothing. What about the number of people on here who sincerely believe that global warming is a hoax perpetuated by the international scientific community? :rolleyes:

That's you big mistake homie. Its perpetuated by the govt who "owns" the scientists. Its really not a difficult arrangement to see through.

That's you big mistake homie. Its perpetuated by the govt who "owns" the scientists. Its really not a difficult arrangement to see through.

The government "owns" the scientists? :rolleyes: That sounds much more like a quaint - if not crazy - notion than a "big mistake".

I have to agree with homer on this one....

The government "owns" the scientists? :rolleyes: That sounds much more like a quaint - if not crazy - notion than a "big mistake".

Its true because they control their funding and this administration has proven time and time again...either toe their line or face the consequences. Surely you're not going to argue that fact?

Its true because they control their funding and this administration has proven time and time again...either toe their line or face the consequences. Surely you're not going to argue that fact?

You seriously think the scientific community would be of a different opinion were there a republican administration?

Archived