So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muschamp is NOT coming to AU. Give it a rest already.......

Roof, Van Gorder, Johnson.... not terrible DCs, are they ? And yet not a one of them can get AU's D to at least respectable levels.

Just freakin' annoying.

Roof and Van Gorder had Chizik meddling and contradicting what they wanted. BVG had no idea what he was getting himself into when he came to AU. Ellis, well I just don't know. Maybe he just hasn't got the ability to coach in todays game.

Seemed to do pretty well against K-State and LSU. Something happened mid season, and while I don't dismiss the schedule may have caught up w/ us, we had an off week, and it didn't seem to matter. It's like the team had the rug pulled out from under it, and I don't know if that's all on CEJ or not.

Watch for Phillip Lolley to be back in Auburn next year.....

Surprised no one else seems to have mentioned Lolley. His D has been performing very well in the CFL.

Roof, Van Gorder, Johnson.... not terrible DCs, are they ? And yet not a one of them can get AU's D to at least respectable levels.

Just freakin' annoying.

Roof and Van Gorder had Chizik meddling and contradicting what they wanted. BVG had no idea what he was getting himself into when he came to AU. Ellis, well I just don't know. Maybe he just hasn't got the ability to coach in todays game.

Seemed to do pretty well against K-State and LSU. Something happened mid season, and while I don't dismiss the schedule may have caught up w/ us, we had an off week, and it didn't seem to matter. It's like the team had the rug pulled out from under it, and I don't know if that's all on CEJ or not.

I don't know either. LSU has no offense. KSU wasn't much of an offensive threat, at least not like what we have faced since. I am bewildered as much as anyone else.

It is what it is & aint what it aint. With this being said, something will happen at the end of the season if we wind up 8-4 after the Iron bowl. You know what would be interesting would be for having the Iron bowl every 8 years in the UK or some place in Europe. This would be a lot of fun, and would give the rivalry a boost.

How would doing something 99% of the fans can't afford to participate in every 8 years give the rivalry a boost? Not intended as a flame, I just may need a little more info in understanding what you're getting at.

It's odd that you mention this doc. I had a discussion with a life-long UpDyke buddy of mine on Sunday mentioning something similar to this.

AU fans showed up for the NC in HUGE numbers when we played Oregon in California. Same in Miami. And didn't we end up using Oregon's and FSU's tickets to fill our needs ? I would think it would be a hit.

The NFL has been doing well in Wembley, maybe it's time for the fiercest rivalry to make its debut.

Can't believe I posted this drivel.. WARNING: don't post while suffering prolonged sleep deprivation. :ucrazy:

What I had on my mind which would promote the IB is related to a program produced by ESPN about two English towns which are bitter rivals. Once each year they have a soccer game that the townsfolk of each participates with one goal placed in each town. The game usually lasts two days over a distance of several miles and across rural/city terrains. The winning team carries the trophy (stopping at all the pubs in between), a soccer ball, to its trophy case for the following year's bragging rights. Their rivalry has existed for over 100 years.

My thought is to have an amateur IB the days before the real IB is played, maybe in B'ham. Unfortunately I believe it would devolve into a slug fest.......but would that necessarily be a bad thing ? Maybe this has been attempted.

Back to the topic at hand......Ellis should go.

Surprised no one else seems to have mentioned Lolley. His D has been performing very well in the CFL.

I really hope CFL stands for College Football League and not what I think it means....

I really hope CFL stands for College Football League and not what I think it means....

Defense is even harder in the CFL. If anyone thinks the rules in CFB or the NFL favor the O, just take a look up north.

Lolley is an excellent coach, by all accounts.

Defense is even harder in the CFL. If anyone thinks the rules in CFB or the NFL favor the O, just take a look up north.

Lolley is an excellent coach, by all accounts.

He is an excellent coach and did a fine job during his tenure at AU.

Just freakin' annoying.

Just to be clear. I did not say I did not want him as DC... I simply said he is not coming to AU.

Lolley? I remember being told over and over again how pathetic he was as a coach. I don't know how many times Pops and I defended him to little to no avail.

Lolley? I remember being told over and over again how pathetic he was as a coach. I don't know how many times Pops and I defended him to little to no avail.

Some of us listened. ;)

On a side note, ever since I posted on Lolley earlier, I've had that Schoolhouse Rock song about adverbs (slightly modified) going through my head. Lolley Lolley Lolley get your defense here ....

Again, I'm not calling for firing any coach. But since we're talking about who we should consider IF we were to make a change, I think Lolley should definitely be on the list.

i remember this. I think it was from being a high school convert. With no big hire accomplishments. He might have been the best we had.

Roof has done well before and since Chiz.

I'm talking about at Auburn. Either it's our talent level or Auburn has became the "Death Valley" for defensive coordinator

It's not Auburn. Ellis has a good reputation but he just can't seem to get it together against todays' offenses. His teams at USC were less than stellar and his defense at USM was awful. He has had autonomy over the defense in his time at AU. I'm sure the defensive coaches were picked with his input, if not outright by him. I'll never buy that we can't have an effective solid defense. It may not be the old defense like we say under Pat Dye but it can still be very effective. If the talent level isn't there then what happened to all those top recruits that came in under Chiz? We aren't getting the top talent on defense. Last year was less than stellar and this year is shaping up to be about the same.

Roof has done well before and since Chiz.

I'm talking about at Auburn. Either it's our talent level or Auburn has became the "Death Valley" for defensive coordinator

It's not Auburn. Ellis has a good reputation but he just can't seem to get it together against todays' offenses.

Neither can Roof. Or Van Gorder. Even Saban and Smart have had issues with them. We railroaded John Chavis' LSU defense this year. It happens.

His teams at USC were less than stellar.

Utterly wrong. The facts paint a different picture.

2008: 13th in total defense

2009: 15th

2010: 43rd

2011: 3rd

You can't tell me the game evolved that much since 2011. I'd kill to have a top 15 defense right now, much less a 3rd ranked one.

He has had autonomy over the defense in his time at AU. I'm sure the defensive coaches were picked with his input, if not outright by him. I'll never buy that we can't have an effective solid defense. It may not be the old defense like we say under Pat Dye but it can still be very effective. If the talent level isn't there then what happened to all those top recruits that came in under Chiz? We aren't getting the top talent on defense. Last year was less than stellar and this year is shaping up to be about the same.

I don't buy it either. I'm just not convinced another DC is the panacea everyone seems to think it will be. We haven't exactly been scraping the bottom of the barrel for DCs the last few years.

I am not necessarily calling for a change at the DC spot but at the same time there is absolutely no excuse for this dumpster fire we are seeing right now.. Some have suggested that the seniors are not buying into what he wants to do and are causing problems. I don't know but if something like this is happening why not go ahead and put in underclassmen and let them have a shot. It can't be any worse than what we have seen so far. If they are at least willing to listen to the coaches and be in the right position then put them in and let them learn. I suppose that since we still had a shot at the playoffs and conference title, the older players gave them the best chance at that. Well that's all gone. A loss to Alabama isn't going to significantly alter our bowl slot for this year so let's give the younger guys some game experience and who knows maybe they can get lucky and pull off the upset. At this stage of the season, you are what you are. You aren't going to significantly improve such glaring deficiencies as exist now so the idea of the defense all of a sudden getting it's collective act together is far fetched, at least as far as this season goes. Improvement is going to have to come in the offseason. I get the idea of not changing again after previous changes. It's the age old question do you change too soon or too late. I lean toward the change for this reason. The defense has regressed and whether it is Ellis or someone else, you are going to have to start all over from scratch. They are so fundamentally unsound right now and after two years that is something you should not be seeing. Another year like this and you've shot a whole year down the drain, setting your program back that much further. If Ellis does stay I won't be railing against it saying it was a dumb move. I will get behind him fully and hope for him to get things going in the right direction and get it fixed. If he does get his one more shot he better come up with an offseason program and spring practice from hell for these guys.

Our defense misses strong defensive end play. That point helps contain pass and run on the perimeter as well presses the quarterback passing. Dee Ford and Carl Lawson level of play has not come from the DE's this season. No one has stepped up to that level of play. Ford and Lawson were coached by the same staff last year that is coaching this year. Not throwing players under a bus. The performance from that position has made a difference in over all defensive play. Linebacker play has improved. Interior play has stayed relatively the same. DB's have improved at times. Star performance is lacking. Star run performance has been distracted.

Archived