So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

Just my opinion... I think the Ol' Ball Coach gave everyone the blueprint to beating our D. Personally, I expected him to do exactly as he did. USC was coming off a bye week, with a cupcake opponent the following week and had plenty of time to scout us. Additionally, it is probably a lot easier to scheme tendencies against a coach that was formerly the DC at your program. Up until the USC game, our D was actually respectable. Once the USC O torched us, the D probably lost confidence, which coupled with a blueprint on how to take advantage of our weaknesses, proved to be a double whammy and has hurt us since.

As for the GA game, can't really speculate on what happened other than UGA rammed the ball down our throat because they were more physical on the line of scrimmage and perimeter blocking. Nothing breaks the will of the D more than being unable to stop what everyone knows is coming - its the same reason we beat so many teams last year (we broke their will). I also think pentalties have had a lot to do with our issues because we have given teams multiple breaks through "effort" penalties. Nothing keeps a drive alive better than a 15 yard pentaty or kills a drive better than a holding penalty on 2d down. Play more disciplined and penalty free and this AU team would be undefeated. At the end of the day, the only team that has beaten AU all year is AU. One could argue that the UGA game was a beatdown, but then again, if we do not muff a punt, rough the kicker, or get penalized 6x more times, the momentum could have turned in our favor. One will never know...

Personally, I have no clue if Ellis is the man for the job or not, but his track record at USC seems to be solid. I am all for giving him another year and if we do not see drastic improvement, then give him the ax.

I am confident that if we play disciplined football that we can end Bama's dreams. I am hoping that the seniors on this year's squad can light a fire and turn things around for the last 3x games to finish strong.

WDE!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my opinion... I think the Ol' Ball Coach gave everyone the blueprint to beating our D. Personally, I expected him to do exactly as he did. USC was coming off a bye week, with a cupcake opponent the following week and had plenty of time to scout us. Additionally, it is probably a lot easier to scheme tendencies against a coach that was formerly the DC at your program. Up until the USC game, our D was actually respectable. Once the USC O torched us, the D probably lost confidence, which coupled with a blueprint on how to take advantage of our weaknesses, proved to be a double whammy and has hurt us since.

As for the GA game, can't really speculate on what happened other than UGA rammed the ball down our throat because they were more physical on the line of scrimmage and perimeter blocking. Nothing breaks the will of the D more than being unable to stop what everyone knows is coming - its the same reason we beat so many teams last year (we broke their will). I also think pentalties have had a lot to do with our issues because we have given teams multiple breaks through "effort" penalties. Nothing keeps a drive alive better than a 15 yard pentaty or kills a drive better than a holding penalty on 2d down. Play more disciplined and penalty free and this AU team would be undefeated. At the end of the day, the only team that has beaten AU all year is AU. One could argue that the UGA game was a beatdown, but then again, if we do not muff a punt, rough the kicker, or get penalized 6x more times, the momentum could have turned in our favor. One will never know...

Personally, I have no clue if Ellis is the man for the job or not, but his track record at USC seems to be solid. I am all for giving him another year and if we do not see drastic improvement, then give him the ax.

I am confident that if we play disciplined football that we can end Bama's dreams. I am hoping that the seniors on this year's squad can light a fire and turn things around for the last 3x games to finish strong.

WDE!

I wont argue about Ellis getting another chance. It won't be a big deal to me either way. As for this year, the penalties and undisciplined play have been there all year long and I don't think you can all of a sudden turn that around this late in the season.

WDE!

I wont argue about Ellis getting another chance. It won't be a big deal to me either way. As for this year, the penalties and undisciplined play have been there all year long and I don't think you can all of a sudden turn that around this late in the season.

I agree 100%, but leadership can always make a difference and leadership will come from the great seniors who have seen it all.

WDE!

I agree 100%, but leadership can always make a difference and leadership will come from the great seniors who have seen it all.

We can all hope. I'll believe it when I see it.

What Ellis is trying to do is not working. That is clear. If Gus does not move on Muschamp while the opportunity is there this crappy defense is going to continue for another season and the best opportunity to fix it will be lost.

What Ellis is trying to do is not working. That is clear. If Gus does not move on Muschamp while the opportunity is there this crappy defense is going to continue for another season and the best opportunity to fix it will be lost.

I disagree. Muschamp is not the best opportunity to fix this defense. Muschamp is a product of defensive minded head coaches that he parlayed that into a head coaching job that he wasn't remotely qualified for. You may think muschamp is great, but not me. I just don't see him as this all knowing defensive coach that can fix everything (or anything that for matter).

What makes you think Muschamp would accept the job?

I disagree. Muschamp is not the best opportunity to fix this defense. Muschamp is a product of defensive minded head coaches that he parlayed that into a head coaching job that he wasn't remotely qualified for. You may think muschamp is great, but not me. I just don't see him as this all knowing defensive coach that can fix everything (or anything that for matter).

We'd at at least know how to tackle

Guest jojo1515

We'd at at least know how to tackle

And he sure as heck didn't take over a 12 win team and turn them in to an 0-12 team in just one season.....so he has definitely 1 upped our current DC in that category :)

Leadership - someone that understands Ellis's scheme and approach. When Whitehead got suspended the secondary took a huge hit. His leadership back there was woefully missed. The front line outside of a pass rusher has held their own. The secondary has looked puzzled and confused. But this defense does not have a Takeo, Bynes, Etheridge, Rosegreen, etc. Someone who can be that coach on the field as well as an effective leader of a very young on the field secondary.

Fire Roof!

Fire Van Gorder!

Fire Johnson!

At some point, one has to acknowledge that when you run through this many DCs who've been successful elsewhere that it's not necessarily about the DC.

Why wouldn't he? Other than the Jacobs thing that might not even hold weight anymore, this is one of the doors he walked through to get to Florida and this offense is national championship ready, plus Auburn always overpays coaches. He'd be fine on all facets.

Fire Roof!

Fire Van Gorder!

Fire Johnson!

At some point, one has to acknowledge that when you run through this many DCs who've been successful elsewhere that it's not necessarily about the DC.

shhhh Titan...folks don't want to hear that....they just want someone to blame without analyzing the team and seeing where the holes are...

Why wouldn't he? Other than the Jacobs thing that might not even hold weight anymore, this is one of the doors he walked through to get to Florida and this offense is national championship ready, plus Auburn always overpays coaches. He'd be fine on all facets.

Perhaps. But I don't think he'll be hurting for DC opportunities and he could possibly remain a HC if he wants to step down to a smaller school like a Troy or Arkansas St. type place to do it. For instance, he and Spurrier are good friends and SCe's defense sucked. Muschamp could go there and rehab their defense for the next 2-3 years knowing Spurrier is about to retire and be in great position to take over at Carolina as HC.

Perhaps. But I don't think he'll be hurting for DC opportunities and he could possibly remain a HC if he wants to step down to a smaller school like a Troy or Arkansas St. type place to do it. For instance, he and Spurrier are good friends and SCe's defense sucked. Muschamp could go there and rehab their defense for the next 2-3 years knowing Spurrier is about to retire and be in great position to take over at Carolina as HC.

According to 247, it's unlikely that he goes to USC

Muschamp is not coming to AU. Give it a rest...

Everybody have read your opinion on that so instead of coming in threads saying that everyday after various posts you could just choose to not click on this particular thread

Everybody have read your opinion on that so instead of coming in threads saying that everyday after various posts you could just choose to not click on this particular thread

^^^^

Fire Roof!

Fire Van Gorder!

Fire Johnson!

Yes we appear to have deficiencies in both talent and scheme, but it sure looks like it may be getting worse rather than better. Yes we have gone through several without improvement. To me, that is all the more reason to go back to the last guy we had who put a really good defense on the field if he is willing to come. If nothing else we would have someone on the sidelines to get in guys faces and try to fire them up. Of couse, it doesn't matter what any of us think. Gus will make the decision and we all should support the decision. From everything he has said so far he is sticking with Ellis.

i have no idea if gus is interested in boom or not. but if he is, his pitch should be that gus would teach boom his offense so that he is in a better position to hire OCs at his next head coaching job.

i have no idea if gus is interested in boom or not. but if he is, his pitch should be that gus would teach boom his offense so that he is in a better position to hire OCs at his next head coaching job.

Tbh, Malzahn would be by far the best offensive mind Muschamp has came in contact with, he needs Gus almost as much as Gus needs him.

So anyway, Muschamp is not coming to AU. :-)

Maybe since Ellis was so effective at usc they can pick up muschamp and work a sign and trade with us and everyone is happy.

LOL what are the terms? Do we get a player to be named later as part of the deal?

Archived