So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

apparently people are hearing from worms in the AD that Ellis is set to retire

If true, this is the only way I see a change at the DC position come next year.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way Florida played FSU today, and UGA previously, I'd certainly want to take a look at Florida DC Durkin.

You have to wonder how much of it is Durkin and how much is Muschamp. They may have a similar coaching practice like Lashlee/Gus.

I'm not sure I would want to take a gamble. People need to be prepared for a very average-to-bad defense if we hire a new DC. It'll take some time implementing a new scheme and recruiting players to fit it...again.

after going winless as a head coach and then leading one of the worst auburn defenses of all time Id say it's a good time to accept that the game has moved past you

after going winless as a head coach and then leading one of the worst auburn defenses of all time Id say it's a good time to accept that the game has moved past you

Glad to see he sees it like that.

The way Florida played FSU today, and UGA previously, I'd certainly want to take a look at Florida DC Durkin.

You have to wonder how much of it is Durkin and how much is Muschamp. They may have a similar coaching practice like Lashlee/Gus.

I'm not sure I would want to take a gamble. People need to be prepared for a very average-to-bad defense if we hire a new DC. It'll take some time implementing a new scheme and recruiting players to fit it...again.

I would take a very average defense in a heartbeat.

Malzahn was asked whether he foresees changes being made on the staff, including defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

"I'm not going there right now," Malzahn said. "Right now we're disappointed we got beat and that's it."

He could have shot down the possibility, but didn't......

Two years ago we were running a 4-3, how hard could it be to reintroduce? And how many recruits could we possibly have who haven't cut their teeth on a 4-3 scheme?

This is one of the main reasons we have had a bad D the last 6 years. 4 DC's in 6 years. The turnover and inconsistency is what hurts.

This is one of the main reasons we have had a bad D the last 6 years. 4 DC's in 6 years. The turnover and inconsistency is what hurts.

I agree with this to an extent. But Jay Tate said something that I think also has merit. Basically, it was that everyone that knows anything about football knows that CEJ is a good defensive mind. He knows how to defend. But his ability to get that knowledge through to these players and get that to translate into play on the field is what you have to call into question.

The central question is, can these coaches change that, or is there someone out there that we believe can do that?

i don't buy that. Roof had Chizik meddling all the time and he had to take the fall for that. He got to PSU and immediately had an impact on their defense. He' s been at GT for just two years now and he has their defense playing better than ours. BVG got duped into coming to a program that was coming apart at the seams. He's doing a respectable job at ND considering the restrictions they face getting players into school. If no changes are made then this time next year we will be sitting here with the same old problems and a year lost hoping it would change.

I'm not one to go on and on about bammer or whatnot but how come when Saban showed up at bammer the defense got better immediately? Year 2 his defense keeps rolling? Moved offense players to defense, started freshmen and they just kept improving.

I'm not one to go on and on about bammer or whatnot but how come when Saban showed up at bammer the defense got better immediately? Year 2 his defense keeps rolling? Moved offense players to defense, started freshmen and they just kept improving.

Love him or hate him, the man knows what he is doing and knows how to get players to do what they are supposed to do. The results speak for themselves. If the trouble is the players don't understand what he is trying to do then Johnson needs to find a way to communicate in a way the players can grasp what he wants them to do. You can be the most brilliant mind in the coaching world but if you can't figure out a way for the players to understand that then it's useless. Reminds me of the movie days of thunder when Robert Duvall had to come up with a way to get Tom Cruise to understand what he was telling him to do. Granted it was just a movie but still the idea is the same.

Then why wasn't that the case when we went through several DC's under Tuberville? Is it because Tuberville kept a consistent blueprint of what he wanted on defense? It seemed to be the reverse on offense, perhaps because he wasn't an offensive minded coach?

Then why wasn't that the case when we went through several DC's under Tuberville? Is it because Tuberville kept a consistent blueprint of what he wanted on defense? It seemed to be the reverse on offense, perhaps because he wasn't an offensive minded coach?

Tubs was a defensive head coach. It's easier to keep continuity on that side of the ball when your head coach specializes in that. It's the same reason that I feel that we'll be fine whenever Lashlee gets a HC job somewhere. Gus's offense will be effective regardless of who is the OC. But on the defensive side, it's going to matter.

I think it's because he's a defensive minded coach. If you remember our offense got better immediately, despite the cluster showing they put on the year before.

I think it's because he's a defensive minded coach. If you remember our offense got better immediately, despite the cluster showing they put on the year before.

That does play a role but their offense didn't go in the tank just because the Head Coach was a defensive minded individual. They've never had great offense but they were respectable and didn't do things to cause them to lose games.

Might have something to do with the top rated recruiting classes he has brought in. Talent makes a world of difference and JMO but a lot of people think that AU has as good talent as bama....which is far from true....both in quality and depth. Been some comments about 5* Reuben sitting on the bench at bama...and that he would be playing at AU...which is true...but which also tells us the degree of talent deficit we have.

still waiting on Garner to work his supposed recruiting magic.

Might have something to do with the top rated recruiting classes he has brought in. Talent makes a world of difference and JMO but a lot of people think that AU has as good talent as bama....which is far from true....both in quality and depth. Been some comments about 5* Reuben sitting on the bench at bama...and that he would be playing at AU...which is true...but which also tells us the degree of talent deficit we have.

It is true that they have better talent. Now the question is why aren't these top rated defensive recruits coming here, where they can play immediately vs riding the pine for 2 years in turdville

It is true that they have better talent. Now the question is why aren't these top rated defensive recruits coming here, where they can play immediately vs riding the pine for 2 years in turdville

NFL success, Alabama is a defensive powerhouse/Auburn is a defensive atrocity (of the past 6 seasons or so)

Our top recruits "ride the pine" while we continue to play the older kids and they continue to play like crap. Remember T Williams, Roberts, Ruffin, Bessent................

Archived