Sammie Coates will declare for NFL Draft.

auburn4ever

The drops bother fans way more than NFL scouts, I promise you that. Sammie's issue is that he doesn't have a large catch radius, despite his size and athletic ability. That may or may not push him really far down the draft boards.

Darvin Adams didn't leave too early. He never would have seen a ball in his zip code after Cam left. None of our receivers did.

This is an interesting situation. I can honestly see them both leaving but I can also see them both coming back. My guess is they both leave but hope they both stay

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, Sammie was showing out for the pro scouts in that uat game. He is big, athletic, can catch the ball and can train with the pro's on his route running. He'll be a good one on Sunday's IMO.

CBS Sports predicts Sammie to be drafted in the first or second round. I don't see how his stock would go up much next year, even with JJ. While I would love for him to stay, it would probably be in his best financial interest to declare.

in the duke thread, I posted a link from 24/7 sports. They say he is a top 40 pick. He should go if other sources confirm these two.

Does Auburn Athletic Dept provide counselling for our players that are projected to go pro? Do we provide educational services for our student-athletes so that they are knowledgeable about agents, scouts and how to interview with a professional team in the event they go pro?

I think it would be great if the university could educate our student athletes for their possible professional careers. That way when they come in contact with agents or pro scouts they don't get hoodwinked or blindedsided about the process ~ they will be knowledgeable about the interactions and feel educated enough to make sound decisions.

CBS Sports predicts Sammie to be drafted in the first or second round. I don't see how his stock would go up much next year, even with JJ. While I would love for him to stay, it would probably be in his best financial interest to declare.

in the duke thread, I posted a link from 24/7 sports. They say he is a top 40 pick. He should go if other sources confirm these two.

I agree with all of that.

I have never seen a wr that didn't drop some. We remember ours probably more than others.

I think we remember ours more because it's very uncommon for us to throw more the 20-25 times a game. Against ut last year we didnt even throw the ball 10 times. In 4 of nick's 11 starts this year he didn't throw the ball 20 times even. Only 3 times did nick throw it more than 30 times, and those were games that we had to pass for various reasons.

In short, when each off target throw or drop represents roughly 5% of your pass plays, you're going to remember them.

He is lazy, he needs to so more effort. He needs to dive and strech out like Duke. He will stop running on a route.Duke never stops.

He needs that go get the football attitude. He can be sometimes but not all the time. Duke has it in his mind if it's near him he's going to go get it, Sammy is a freak but needs to take it to another level

You can't physically look the way he looks and run as many go routes as he runs a game especially half the season a messed up hammy and be lazy.....no way on earth

He is lazy, he needs to so more effort. He needs to dive and strech out like Duke. He will stop running on a route.Duke never stops.

He needs that go get the football attitude. He can be sometimes but not all the time. Duke has it in his mind if it's near him he's going to go get it, Sammy is a freak but needs to take it to another level

Who watched the Bama game where Coates was healthy and was definitely going after the ball even when covered. He has taken it to the next Level. This is a guy who was not considered a 5* when we got him who has gotten better every year. I hope he and Duke stay one more year but the reality is we will probably lose one of them and I think it is over 50% that we lose both.

Who watched the Bama game where Coates was healthy and was definitely going after the ball even when covered. He has taken it to the next Level. This is a guy who was not considered a 5* when we got him who has gotten better every year. I hope he and Duke stay one more year but the reality is we will probably lose one of them and I think it is over 50% that we lose both.

Oh I watched. He was unbelievable. He needed to come up big in other games. Not faulting him, just say he should stay

Adams didn't have a high draft grade, I don't know why he chose to leave and of course he don't have the athletic ability Coates has so he wasn't going to blow scouts away like that. He only became a little inconsistent like the last two games though, our fan base feels if you have 2 or 3 drops you can't catch and have things to work on. He caught the ball much better than Coates did and was targeted alot more as well

That's essentially the same thing you said about Tony Stevens though....

Darvin Adams had probably 80% of our passes thrown his way, if he drops 4 out of 60 attempts it's different than a guy dropping 4 of 10. I guess you may see the difference....and it's not like I said Stevens isn't good I just said the way most get down on Sammie Stevens to me seems to be the same type of player so it doesn't make too much sense in my mind to complain all year about Sammie then say we have Stevens next year and be excited.....I trust that everybody wasn't lying about Stevens being a very good player if you watch him practice, I think he's probably pretty good but hey I think Sammie is too....

What an asinine comment. I can say with relative certainty that Sammie is not lazy. Does his game have holes, sure, but not one of them is due to laziness.

We will all see how lazy he is next year in the NFL.

4 touchdowns in a season does not an NFL prospect make.

As yoda would say.

Not to mention two of those came against Alabama.

Before that game 500 yards and 2 tds. You assume a players stats will drop at least 1/4 in the NFL so 375 yards and 1.5 TDs does not project well (unless you want to play for the Panthers they'll think those are great numbers)

Sammie needs another year and hopefully between him and Duke we get our first 1,000 yard receiver in over 20 years

WRs cant drop passes and be considered elite second rounders. Sammie comes down with some great passes, but it seemed when duke wasnt carrying the team with big plays Sammie couldn't feel in the gap. He dropped passes from fifteen yards away and yes did quit on routes(misjudged NM's timing) Sammie by no means is mid level NFL caliber. Maybe next year but his concentration play to play was weak all year. His hands are to catch with and his feet are to get him there. SC has had trouble making that connection this year consistently. Injury or not, he needed Duke to make him chill in games because when it was all on him, he couldn't respond. No duke in IB last week, Sammie would have shat the bed. Believe that. Hope he comes back and plays under a more confident Passing QB. That! Will help SC alone.

As yoda would say.

Before that game 500 yards and 2 tds. You assume a players stats will drop at least 1/4 in the NFL so 375 yards and 1.5 TDs does not project well (unless you want to play for the Panthers they'll think those are great numbers)

Stats mean nothing. Antonio Gates didn't even play college football and he went on to become one of the most dominant TE's in the NFL statistically.

Coates will get a bump in evaluation for the fact that his best games tend to come against top defensive competition (Bama, Ole Miss, and LSU this year, LSU again last year). At the end of the day he is a player that you will draft because of his physical upside, teams will take a risk on that regardless of the fact that he needs some obvious work. Cordarelle Patterson is a great example of a player who didn't run anything even close to a full route-tree in his one and only collegiate season yet managed to get drafted 29th overall after winning the Combine. Patterson was also a complete body-catcher at Tennessee.

WRs cant drop passes and be considered elite second rounders. Sammie comes down with some great passes, but it seemed when duke wasnt carrying the team with big plays Sammie couldn't feel in the gap. He dropped passes from fifteen yards away and yes did quit on routes(misjudged NM's timing) Sammie by no means is mid level NFL caliber. Maybe next year but his concentration play to play was weak all year. His hands are to catch with and his feet are to get him there. SC has had trouble making that connection this year consistently. Injury or not, he needed Duke to make him chill in games because when it was all on him, he couldn't respond. No duke in IB last week, Sammie would have shat the bed. Believe that. Hope he comes back and plays under a more confident Passing QB. That! Will help SC alone.

This is wrong, Sammie stretching the field actually made it easier for duke but hey nobody gets mad when we revisit these post when the actual draft takes place ok?

As yoda would say.

Stats mean nothing. Antonio Gates didn't even play college football and he went on to become one of the most dominant TE's in the NFL statistically.

Coates will get a bump in evaluation for the fact that his best games tend to come against top defensive competition (Bama, Ole Miss, and LSU this year, LSU again last year). At the end of the day he is a player that you will draft because of his physical upside, teams will take a risk on that regardless of the fact that he needs some obvious work. Cordarelle Patterson is a great example of a player who didn't run anything even close to a full route-tree in his one and only collegiate season yet managed to get drafted 29th overall after winning the Combine. Patterson was also a complete body-catcher at Tennessee.

Metafour I'm quite aware of how the draft and NFL works but thanks for the history lesson.

It he comes out his combine numbers will help but only so much with this being a strong receiver class. He would benefit greatly from one more year at auburn.

It he comes out his combine numbers will help but only so much with this being a strong receiver class.

The WR class is always going to be "strong" with the recent shift towards Juniors dominating drafts, therefore this argument is pointless. Is the WR class going to be "weak" next year? Laquon Treadwell is draft eligible, as are Tyler Boyd, Marquez North, and a host of other super-talented receivers (Travin Dural, etc). In today's college game there is not a shortage of high-caliber receiver prospects, if you thought this year's class is "strong", how would you compare last year's class with Watkins, Beckham Jr, Benjamin, Evans, etc, etc?

He would benefit greatly from one more year at auburn.

Maybe, maybe not. There is no guarantee that he'll all of a sudden catch every ball next season, or that he's all of a sudden going to be running every route in the book. Given injury risk, if he can get drafted in the ~2nd round this year then it would likely be in his best interest to do so.

This is wrong, Sammie stretching the field actually made it easier for duke but hey nobody gets mad when we revisit these post when the actual draft takes place ok?

ok. Bookmark if you'd like. Just saying we play backyard ball sometimes and he shines off of NM's scrambling when he breaks open. He got a lot better but still drops balls in tight situations. He is human in other words but he is not Darvin Adams consistent and DA couldn't even get shoulder pads and a helmet issued to him in the NFL. SC could blow up in the league but I just think Sammie is a few ticks short of being a great receiver. I will say a better QB that can slice up defenses could make look completely wrong. I think he is great for Au but a little behind on making an NFL career for himself.

Archived